[SOLVED] i7-6700k. Best modern GPU that I can get without get bottle-necked by the CPU? (1080p/144Hz) Monitor)

Jan 2, 2022
Hi all,
I have an i7-6700k.
What is the best GPU (right now) that I can get for it that will not get bottle-necked by the CPU?

I have an 970GTX MSi and I think is time to upgrade it!!!

I'm playing 1080p at 144Hz and I want to finally play in Ultra settings. I had enough of ultra low or off parameters in game, please.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Even if you did have the budget to pay for a ridiculously overpriced GPU, I wouldn't target a GPU that's just 'good enough' for any particular CPU.
Get the best you can get and then carry it over into your next system. That's what I plan to do with my RX 6900 XT.

With that said, I also suggest waiting, unless you want to target a GPU at the Vega 56 performance level and above, it's not worth it. Also, at current inflated prices, none of them are worth it.
Even if you did have the budget to pay for a ridiculously overpriced GPU, I wouldn't target a GPU that's just 'good enough' for any particular CPU.
Get the best you can get and then carry it over into your next system. That's what I plan to do with my RX 6900 XT.

With that said, I also suggest waiting, unless you want to target a GPU at the Vega 56 performance level and above, it's not worth it. Also, at current inflated prices, none of them are worth it.

Reactions: natcha12
Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi, thanks for the reply.
£300/400/500(Maximum)?
Used one, obviously.
If you look at Amazon UK, you'll see the GTX 1650 in your price range.

Comparing the 970 against the 1650, you'll see that your current GPU is faster by most measures:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/2577vs4039

If you checked Scan UK, you would see darn near everything is out of stock. There is a Radeon RX 6700 XT "on sale" for a mere £ 799.98, about twice what it should be compared to the "before times":

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pow...-ray-tracing-graphics-card-rdna2-2560-streams

In your used price range, many of the GPUs you'll find have been "mined to death". Unless you know of a reputable source, I would be very careful with these.

My recommendation: Wait.

Reactions: fire3000
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Your 6700K is still a competent processor.
Have you tried overclocking it?

First verify that you could actually benefit from a graphics card upgrade.
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are going to upgrade a graphics card, make it a reasonably large jump.
If not, you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.

Look at Tom's gpu hierarchy chart for a ranking of graphics cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I would imagine GTX16xx class or better.

Reactions: fire3000