i7 6700k + GTX 1060 vs i5 6600k + GTX 1070

tahnik

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Hi all,
My core information about usage and etc:

1. Run Ubuntu VM along with Windows all the time (I mean it. Why Windows? Gaming and Sound Card)
2. Gaming. I'm not a hardcore but like to play the games in high settings (not necessarily highest)
3. 4K VR videos (You know why). I might try out some VR games as well.
5. My monitors is 2560x1080
6. I multitask a lot. I typically use hundreds of tabs in chrome with programming IDE, node servers open when I am productive. I need to compile a lot of files every minute or so. Right now with my G4500 it takes about 10 seconds which is pretty annoying.
7. I use photoshop and premier pro occasionally. But It's my hobby to I don't need blazing fast render times.

I've attached two baskets from Scan UK. Please help guys!

http://imgur.com/AyKN204

http://imgur.com/K0buEQn

Solution
Here's a i7 build with a 1070 that will come in under your i7/1060 build. Won't have any issues with RAM heights, and leave you room to bump up later to 32GB when you want to put the screws to your VMs and editing projects. Bumped you from the 650w to a 550w for cost savings as you're not even pushing out the limits of a 550w let alone needing a 650w. If you wanted to run SLI, then a 650w would be a good idea.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£293.88 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£28.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£130.98 @ Amazon UK)...
You're going to want to go with the i7. The VM issue alone would make me recommend it, but adding photo and video editing clinches it.

You might want to consider keeping the same motherboard (the Pro Gaming) and use the saved cash to throw at a 2TB drive to save for cold storage of your editing projects.

Also you're going to run in to a problem with the CPU cooler you've chosen. The Dark Rock Pro overhangs 3 of your RAM slots and has a RAM height limitation of 40mm. The Corsair Plat you chose is 55mm tall. And while you can raise the fan up for 2 of the 3 slots that are covered, one slot has the physical heatsink over it, so theres no way to use the 4th RAM slot with anything taller than 40mm. The Corsair LPX you have in your i5 build would work as they're 35mm, but the timings aren't as good.

Here's a i7 build with a 1070 that will come in under your i7/1060 build. Won't have any issues with RAM heights, and leave you room to bump up later to 32GB when you want to put the screws to your VMs and editing projects. Bumped you from the 650w to a 550w for cost savings as you're not even pushing out the limits of a 550w let alone needing a 650w. If you wanted to run SLI, then a 650w would be a good idea.

Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£130.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£102.19 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£123.12 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card (£393.29 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1143.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 02:46 BST+0100

If you wanted to add some HDD storage and throw a basic 2TB drive in.

Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£130.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£102.19 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£123.12 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£56.28 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card (£393.29 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1199.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 02:49 BST+0100

Solution

tahnik

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

Oh God! Thank you so much for your detailed help. Is the cooler good enough? I've always been a fan of Noctua and be quiet! but didn't get Noctua because of their looks.

Yeah 550w might be enough. I don't think I'll ever do a SLI.

I will probably stick with Asus Strix 1070 as they are just soo good.

I have a 2TB hard drive already so the nvme drive will be fine.

Thanks again :)

If you want to go a step above the H7 you could go in to the H5 Universal. The H7 and H5 Universal from Cryorig have zero intrusion over the RAM slots so you can max out the memory without issues. The be quiet coolers are great, but the higher end coolers become absolutely massive and become a problem with RAM heights. Same thing goes for the bigger Noctua's. I love my D15 (ugly fans that is has), but if I was building a system today I wouldn't touch it with the RAM height limitations and the size of high performing RAM. If you never intend on filling up all 4 slots, the H5 Ultimate is a good step up from the Universal without having to deal with adjusting the fan height. The Dark Rock Pros heatsink is such a beast, like the Noctuca NH-D15 that puts a cramp in even getting two slots filled.

The cooling requirements of modern Intel CPUs are not as much as you'd think. Even with a 5GHz OC (which 99% of 6700K's will not achieve) it will still draw less power than an FX-9590 at stock speeds, and people have cooled those successfully with $30 coolers, given good case ventilation.

It's not always the cooling thats at issue. For a lot of people the noise generated by the stock coolers (when they even come with one) are more than they want to deal with. And then with those $30 coolers, a lot of times you get a design that interfers with tall RAM (oddly hard to find good short RAM) or case height requirments. Which is why a lot of people have latched on to the Cryorig H7 and H5 lineup. Yes they cool well, but sometimes more importantly they dont interfere with the other components the builder might want to use. The Hyper 212 Evo is a great example. Its a good cooler and its cheap. But its just shy of 160mm tall so it becomes a problem for itx builds and it over hangs the RAM slots so you have to restrict the RAM selection. Yes you can adjust the fan, but only so much before you're losing airflow and vastly increasing the units overall height.

SyntaxSynaspe

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

Here's some cheep (but ugly, I have a non windowed case and if I was to get a windowed one I would get a 2x 16gb kit anyway just because) short ram (BTW heatsinks for ram is unneccesary in all but the most exceptional of circumstance) http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/xvLypg/crucial-memory-ct8g4dfd8213

It's not very difficult to find it I had no difficulty finding it and I would reccommend this specific ram to anyone who doesn't care about internal asthstetics and is on a budget or is looking to save as much money as they can where ever they can. And the RAM has good specs too (Considering 8Gb's of DDR4 normally goes for £60 instead of £40)

My Current Build (Can't affort GPU rn and I require a desktop(I do CAD and other things for school. My engieneering class has literaly the best desktops/computers in the entire school with skylake i5's). But I do mostly use it for gaming and school work and I will have a GPU(Rx 480 or gtx 1060 by the end of Feb)
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/entity51/saved/GWgnQ7