[SOLVED] i7-6700k over 4.4 Ghz. Is it possible?

Jun 2, 2020
Hey guys! So i went into the BIOS to change my RAM speed to 3200 Mhz from the standard value.
Them i've decided to give a boost for the processor as well. The i7-6700K was running on its base clock speed (4000mhz).
The description for this CPU states that the boost is up to 4.2Ghz. However when i clocked on the "Easy Boost" option then revooted the system, i've discovered that now my CPU runs on 4409 Mhz through all cores. I've fired up MSi afterburner and jumped into COD Warzone and it was the same, stable 4409 Mhz. I haven't got water cooling so i was carefully following the temperatures, luckily the max was 77 °C.
My question is, is this 4.4 GHz built in motherboard boost legit? My Mobo is a Z270 Pro

Solution
Yes, it's legit or companies like Asus and MSI and Gigabyte would not include such 'Easy Boost' or 'OC Genie' with the software or even buttons on the motherboard.

If course the biggest issue is when trying to back out of it, there's hidden settings in bios that don't get reverted always and can create headaches with temps and instability, but since you have 'let the Genie out of the bottle' and it's working within parameters, and you are happy with the results, then backing out serves no real purpose.

Air cooling = liquid cooling. A 140w CM Hyper212 is exactly the same as a 140w 120mm AIO. That works for all the cooler ranges upto Big Air at 250w, then a 280mm AIO is 300w and a 360mm is 350w.

But actual performance will be...

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Sure, plenty of boards have their own auto-overclocking scheme. You generally get better results with a manual overclock, but if you're happy where it's at then keep this train rollin'.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's legit or companies like Asus and MSI and Gigabyte would not include such 'Easy Boost' or 'OC Genie' with the software or even buttons on the motherboard.

If course the biggest issue is when trying to back out of it, there's hidden settings in bios that don't get reverted always and can create headaches with temps and instability, but since you have 'let the Genie out of the bottle' and it's working within parameters, and you are happy with the results, then backing out serves no real purpose.

Air cooling = liquid cooling. A 140w CM Hyper212 is exactly the same as a 140w 120mm AIO. That works for all the cooler ranges upto Big Air at 250w, then a 280mm AIO is 300w and a 360mm is 350w.

But actual performance will be entirely upto the individual cooler and it's fans, not heatsink capacity. Under @ 200w, the Noctua NH-U12A gets better temps than it's big brother, the NH-D15, the differences showing up @ 200w and the smaller cooler is getting saturated and the bigger cooler still has capacity left over.

Solution
YOu can look up overlcoking specifics on /in reviews of your mainboard from a few years ago,..

Might want to check out Intel's XTU as well...; upon bootup/successful init of the application, it allows higher multipliers to be specified under all core scenarios (along with core voltage bumps, AVX offsets, etc), overriding the BIOS, but, in the event of a crash without a clean shutdown, it defaults everything back to stock next bootup.

The 6700K generally went about as far as the 7700K, so 4.7 GHz or 4.8 GHz might be possible with good cooling. (my own 7700K does 4.7 GHz at 65C gaming loads with no core voltage bump, but, 4.8 GHz needed a jump and was not worth the added 10C temp increases for a 1% performance increase..

Jun 9, 2020
Hey guys! So i went into the BIOS to change my RAM speed to 3200 Mhz from the standard value.
Them i've decided to give a boost for the processor as well. The i7-6700K was running on its base clock speed (4000mhz).
The description for this CPU states that the boost is up to 4.2Ghz. However when i clocked on the "Easy Boost" option then revooted the system, i've discovered that now my CPU runs on 4409 Mhz through all cores. I've fired up MSi afterburner and jumped into COD Warzone and it was the same, stable 4409 Mhz. I haven't got water cooling so i was carefully following the temperatures, luckily the max was 77 °C.
My question is, is this 4.4 GHz built in motherboard boost legit? My Mobo is a Z270 Pro

So I ran my 6700k @ 4.5ghz on a 120mm AIO with no problems....upgraded to a 240mm AIO and ASUS board...stable at 4.8ghz. Cooling matters. The voltage is a little high for my taste (1.40v) but what the Hell...If it lasts another year I'll be more than satisfied.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Silicon lottery. It applies in multiple directions. I had a 3570k that was stable all day at 4.3GHz @ 1.08v but even 1.55v couldn't get it stable at 4.4GHz. My 3770k easily did 5.0GHz @ 1.408v but I was happier with 4.9GHz @ 1.32v. Gaming 55°C 👍. It's just crazy how some things just work out and others simply do not.