i7 6700k overclocking trouble

RyanKruMP

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
hi. i'm trying to over clock past 4.5 ghz and its not working out well, i have h100i v2 liquid cooling, asus z170-a mobo, 16gb ram. my current settings i'm at 1.28 volts at 4.5 ghz, could possibly get lower but haven't tested. i then tried 4.6 ghz at 1.34 volts and my computer crashed in 5 minutes. why is the voltage gap for me soo big for over going up 100 mhz, and is there a way to get over this hump without trying to go even higher in voltage? my temps during my stress test are good, in between 70-80 and during idle they are 25-30. any suggestions would be appreciated

Solution
Get a freeware copy of CPUID HWMonitor, install it and let it run while you benchmark. Near the top look for CPU VCORE, there will be 3 sets of numbers, look at the second one [minimum volts - it reflects Vdroop] and compare it to the third number, it is the maximum voltage.

It may be that Vdroop is dropping too far. Go into BIOS and adjust your settings to increase those numbers [each manufacturer will have a different process and even names for the same thing. Read your motherboard manual to find out what to do]. You could also go to the forum section of a manufacturer and state what motherboard you have and ask what settings you need to adjust to increase Vdroop [such as turning on all the CPU phases {among other things}]...

PhysX_HW

Distinguished
If you can't boot at 4.6Ghz, you probably need more voltage. Every CPU is different, and I wouln't go over 4.5Ghz for everyday use. But if you want to stretch the limits of the CPU, give it 1.4V at 4.6Ghz. That should do the trick. And remember, voltage does not scale linearly with higher frequencies, plus it dramatically increases the heat output of the CPU, although you should be fine with the H100i.

Get a freeware copy of CPUID HWMonitor, install it and let it run while you benchmark. Near the top look for CPU VCORE, there will be 3 sets of numbers, look at the second one [minimum volts - it reflects Vdroop] and compare it to the third number, it is the maximum voltage.

It may be that Vdroop is dropping too far. Go into BIOS and adjust your settings to increase those numbers [each manufacturer will have a different process and even names for the same thing. Read your motherboard manual to find out what to do]. You could also go to the forum section of a manufacturer and state what motherboard you have and ask what settings you need to adjust to increase Vdroop [such as turning on all the CPU phases {among other things}].

Also, turn up the voltage on your RAM; if it is weak or barely able to function at the speed you have it set at, it will cause the problem you have. MAKE SURE you turn the RAM voltage back down after testing.

And, please make sure you have a good quality power supply. A poor or below good PSU will cause voltage in creases to allow your computer to run - it can ruin your computer components, and can cause all kinds of problems from freezes and crashes to ruined hardware.

Solution