i7 6700k Stock high load temperatures

Estorial

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
I just upgraded to an i7-6700k from an i5 2500k on air. I built a water cooling for the i7 (240 mm rad, 2 120mm fans in pull config), and my idle temperatures are excellent 1-2 degrees above ambient.
When running a burner software(100%usage 8 threads) though, they shoot up to 72 and stay there. Is this normal??
Also how quick should the temperature rise ? It take 2 seconds to get to 50-55 and then 60 and 70 in under a minute.
Note, there is approximately half a litre of water/corrosion inhibitor mixture in the loop. The processor is at stock voltage and clock as well.

Solution
It's normal for the cpu to fluctuate in temperature under varying loads. My i5 is slightly older than yours is but with an ambient room temp of 22c and with a load varying from 18-25% cpu usage temps are fluctuating anywhere from 29-34c and changing constantly. It's normal. 40-50c isn't very 'toasty' for intel cpu's especially under load while gaming. Temps don't slowly increase or decrease, they're almost instant. If I start prime95 v26.6 within 1s my temps will climb to 72-74c and soon as I stop the test they'll drop right back to 30-32c. It's not something that takes minutes for temps to fluctuate.

The only way to know for sure how your cooling will handle your cpu temps overclocked is to give it a slight overclock and see...
Sounds about right when using a stress test program. Which program are you using? Stress tests will push a cpu harder than standard tasks like video editing, gaming etc. It's also normal for temps to rise and fall quickly, as the multiplier and voltage to the cores increase under load temp changes are almost instant.

Estorial

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

I am using the burner setting of the EVGA Overclock Scanner tool.
Also after using OCCTs stresstests, the temperature was a steady 55 degrees.
Another thing that bugged me was that under light loading 15-20% the temperature fluctuated quite a bit. For example under Star wars Knights of the old republic 2 it was a toasty 40-50 degrees.
I was planning to overclock, but with temperatures like these, I might not. The reason I'm so concerned is that one the main games I play is Asseto Corsa which loads the CPU quite heavily and some CAD/CAE suites do the same as well.
Thanks for the replies.

It's normal for the cpu to fluctuate in temperature under varying loads. My i5 is slightly older than yours is but with an ambient room temp of 22c and with a load varying from 18-25% cpu usage temps are fluctuating anywhere from 29-34c and changing constantly. It's normal. 40-50c isn't very 'toasty' for intel cpu's especially under load while gaming. Temps don't slowly increase or decrease, they're almost instant. If I start prime95 v26.6 within 1s my temps will climb to 72-74c and soon as I stop the test they'll drop right back to 30-32c. It's not something that takes minutes for temps to fluctuate.

The only way to know for sure how your cooling will handle your cpu temps overclocked is to give it a slight overclock and see. Sometimes better coolers whether water loops or large air show their strengths at higher temperatures. When comparing a budget cooler with a higher end cooler, idle temps may seem really close within 2-3c of one another and look like they're nearly the same. Put the cpu under stock speed full load and there might be a 15c difference. Overclock the cpu and the higher end cooler may show a 20c improvement over the budget cooler that wasn't apparent at idle comparisons.

If you do opt to use prime95, make sure to use version 26.6 (it's not the latest version) and use small fft's for a steady load on the cpu. A lot of stress tests like to fluctuate and increase/decrease the load on the cpu which can make temps move around. I've never personally used the evga tool you're talking about. With p95 v26.6, ibt, rog realbench or intel's xtu the temps are pretty close to one another using realtemp to monitor the cpu thermals.

Solution

pharaohq

Commendable
May 20, 2016

Hello,
I have an i7 6700k as well with an h105 extreme performance---
my idle temps are 30C
while gaming black ops 3 or witcher 3 etc it goes up to 65-68C
its not oc and I was monitoring the voltage it gets up to 1.39-1.4

I reseated the cooler multiple times and bought new thermal paste.

Are these temperatures normal, do you think there is something wrong with my cooler?
Should I do manual voltage, you think the voltage may be causing the heat?

Thanks

boydde3de

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

I know this an old thread but for people who are still wondering.

I ise an i7 6700k with my custom loop and while gaming my temperature goes to 55-65 degrees C.
I'm currently running my cpu at stock.
Hope this helps someone out ;)