I7 7700K high temperature and fluctuating (kraken x62)

Mcwrah

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Hey guys i have a bit of a problem. I made a thread before about high temps of my I7 but it got a bit worse...
After having to clean and replace my kraken cause the pump was being too noisy and broken, I went to overclock my i7 7700k to 4.8ghz at 1.21V, it was a success with having ram at 3200mhz as well.
Problem is that my temps jump from 60-85C in aida 64 with FPU on, without it they reach up to 78C. At first i thought i seated the cooler in a wrong way or put too little/too much paste so I reseated it 2x more with different ways of putting thermal paste (at first spread, then pea sized dot and last one was line). But my temps are always hitting max of 85C and jump around a lot. I also noticed core 2 and core 3 have 3-4C more than core 0 and core 1. Before with stock paste I had 88C max in aida64. The only thing that really improved is my idle temps, from 38-39C to 33C.Also at stock, my temps never go above 74C in aida64 with FPU on. Any idea why is that happening? Do I need delid for better temps or am i doing something wrong.

Solution
Air bubbles certainly aren't a good sign, but running the pump at max speed isn't great either. The bubbles won't have a chance to reach the highest point and get taken out of the loop, they'll just keep getting sucked down.

You might try running it at a slower speed for a while and moving it around to see if you have an air bubble stuck somewhere near the CPU. I've helped a few people out that had similar problems, just a trapped air bubble that needed to be worked loose.

I wouldn't worry about brief spikes in temperature, perfectly normal. The CPU can heat up very quickly. Air coolers have some benefit that they are more stable when it comes to temperatures in the mid-range. Water coolers tend to demonstrate that you can keep...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That sounds about right.

Even with two 280mm radiators, and a re-lid with new thermal compound, my 7700k still reaches 81C. Average is closer to the mid-70s. Mind I am pumping 1.4 volts through mine to reach 5.0.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stress test temperatures. Leave your monitoring tool up and see what the max CPU temp is during your normal usage. I like cinebench as a rough approximation for a heavy gaming load, when I use that for stability testing I don't seem to ever have game crashes. AIDA 64 is what I used to use on my i7-4770k and I think it lead me to being much more conservative. I would only use that if I were intending a heavy 24/7 workload on the CPU fulfilling some task.

The jumping around is normal. No matter how good the cooling the silicon still has to heat up before the heat can be removed.

Mcwrah

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I have been watching my temps and sometimes they jump to 67C on 30% load at 4.8ghz OC (1.21V)... not sure if thats good, also i put my pump on 100% and its making some air bubble/rattling noise past 90% speed... which i never really noticed before since i never had it past 80% speed. I have the kraken x62 for 7 months now.

edit: had the pump running at 100% for 2 hours and the noise got even louder and worse... guess i will have to rma the kraken

update: i got curious and used my old 25€ air cooler that has like 10-15C better temps than stock intel one and in aida 64 with the same OC, without FPU i had 79C max, usually around 70-75C jumps and with FPU i had 89C max, usually around 77-85C (after 3min),and cinabench temps were only 2C higher than kraken which had 80C and this cheap air cooler had 82C max, i think theres something wrong with my kraken...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Air bubbles certainly aren't a good sign, but running the pump at max speed isn't great either. The bubbles won't have a chance to reach the highest point and get taken out of the loop, they'll just keep getting sucked down.

You might try running it at a slower speed for a while and moving it around to see if you have an air bubble stuck somewhere near the CPU. I've helped a few people out that had similar problems, just a trapped air bubble that needed to be worked loose.

I wouldn't worry about brief spikes in temperature, perfectly normal. The CPU can heat up very quickly. Air coolers have some benefit that they are more stable when it comes to temperatures in the mid-range. Water coolers tend to demonstrate that you can keep pumping in heat and it will settle at a much lower max temp compared to air.

Solution

Mcwrah

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I actually have been running my pump at 70-80% speed since i got it, even had my pc elevated, the sound disappeared at around those speeds but as soon as i put the speed to 90-100% it returned. I even tried putting the aio in the front of my case but sadly the screw holes are 2mm off or a bit more and i cant put all of the screws there only top 2 and one on the bottom. Also i have been running my cheap aircooler(its like 400grams with 3 heat pipes and a really bad fan, my case fans are better lol, tried that out actually for science) for past 2 days and the temps while gaming are same or max 2C higher so i went to RMA it, got an email from them that the technicians said it seems to be defective. Just my luck