i7 7700k overclocking oddity

Mar 4, 2018
In short somehow overclocks i had managed very stably in the past aint working anymore ?
I had saved a profile for 4.8 ghz at 1.275 ghz a while back so i put it back on to try it with my "new" 980ti in benchmarks....
Failed...
Then tried 4.8 @ 1.3 just to finish a b3nchmark ... also failed...
Then tried to do 4.8 @ "auto" ... failed...
Wtf is going on lol ?
Btw i run 4.6 @ 1.85v daily (edit : 1.185)

Using xtu to apply overclocks

Previously had a 1060 6gb card.. cld the more power hungry 980ti be too much for my 750w power supply ?

Cld it be the current heat wave in holland (27 degree C ambient temp) be that much of a impact ?? Normally doesnt go over 21 C.

Specs :
Z270 prime a asus mb
I7 7700k (arctic freezer 33 e sports edition)
16 gigs 3200 ddr4 g skill
980ti strix
2 x ssd
3x hdd
3 x 140mm fans
3 x 120mm fans
Webcam
Keyboard
Mouse
Couple usb sticks
Define r6
Seasonic focus gold 750w

Im confused lol

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Did you say that your "Vcore" is 1.85V...? Because that is by far way too high and you could be damaging or have damaged your CPU at this point. For a simple 1 ghz overclock, you shouldn't need to stray away from default voltages at all with a modern Intel chip. Although Intel has a lot of safeguards, you can override them and ruin your hardware. When changing Vcore, do it by maybe 0.001V at a time. You shouldn't need to change it that much.Another thing, are you overclocking the cache/uncore as well? This should be 200-300mhz behind your core clock for stability.

Also, you don't seem to be communicating the proper nomenclature adequately and if you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't be pushing your chip too far.

However, I used XTU for a while (with i7 8700k) and randomly it stopped delivering stable overclocks. It was dialing back at least 100mhz randomly during load, and since I went into my BIOS and applied the exact same settings, it has been running stable again.

You should probably look into more research before trying to overclock, if I'm understanding what you've said and what you're trying to say.

If you think you know what you're doing and take responsibility for potentially "hard-bricking" (ruining beyond repair) your processor, if you're having trouble with XTU, try using the BIOS, although with this, make sure you save profiles at safe points, in case you encounter problems.

Mar 4, 2018
Any insight from anyone ??
As a test i installed AI suite for my z270 prime a asus motherboard and let it auto overclock the cpu. It managed a 4.7 at something like 1.3 .

To put it into perspective... its the hottest heat wave ever and my room temp was about 29 degrees celsius.

Just rlly bugs me since i know for certain i had a stable 4.8 @ 1.275 .. never ran it very long . Lets say a couple days max but i saved the profile in xtu.
Havent tried manually putting in the bios yet..

Any insight is greatly appreciated .
Thnks !

OCD Tweaker

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
it not your PSU hands down its not i have dual 1070's powered by a 750watt PSU

you really should do all OC in the Bios

i disabled turbo boost inside my bios

try setting your load line lvl i think its called (to 6 or 7)

change your V to 1.275 (inside the bios) set your cores at 4.8

think of it this way if it still doesn't work or dont have a stable clock at 4.8ghz you are not going to see a difference between 4.8 and 4.7 or even 4.5
the only way your going to see a difference is in benchmark. even then inside of benchmarks your not losing a significant amount im talking about a few FPS loss in benchmarks

you are correrct your ambient temperatures can have an affect. i dont think that is the case here

EDIT
not all cpus OC the same even if they are the same CPU

for example
my friend and i have the CPU i5 6600k we both have custom loops
i have my cpu at OC to 4.8ghz at 1.3v

my friend max OC is 4.6ghz at 1.3v

intel only guarantees the chip to perform at the ghz it says on the box
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1753815/silicon-lottery.html