i7 7700k stuck at 800mhz, thanks for the garbage msi motherboards..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me-Professional

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Hello,

I have i7 7700k on MSI Z170A MPOWER Gaming Titanium and this thing clocks the the processor to 800mhz, the only way I am able to get rid out of it is to use thermal stop and unchecking BD PROCHOT, but I have to do this everytime I boot to windows, I asked msi for help and always their reply is not helpful and now 2 passed and they didn't reply yet, I don't know how hard to answer my simple question, they told me to do something with this

https://account-cn.msi.com/ocss/uploads/replies/reply1_213538_20170217132814.jpg

Now I see that JSLOW1, its like 2 Pins thing, I am not sure what I am supposed to do with that to get rid of this, and by the way by default this shouldn't be unable because I never planned to do LN2 cooling or whatever, and finally I won't buy their motherboards again..

Thank you :)

Solution
Glad you found an answer. Unusual to have an older BIOS support a newer chip better, considering the board had to get an update to run KL in the first place. Hopefully they'll get their act together with future versions.
If this is your mobo:

https://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2016/08/msi-z170a-mpower-gaming-titanium-review/mpower-titanium-0-1650x1100.jpg

Then they're talking about the little switch labeled "SLOW" at the bottom slightly to the right of center. All you'd do is slide it left or right to enable or disable. The pic they sent is an old diagram before they started putting the toggle switch on. It's showing a pair of pins you'd connect with a jumper to enable, or disable by pulling the jumper off. The switches are easier of course, but for some reason a lot of motherboards (from a variety of manufacturers) have accidentally shipped with it set to on rather than off.

If it's not your mobo, or that doesn't fix things, check your power settings to make sure you're not limiting clocks there.

Me-Professional

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

My motherboard doesn't have this switch, I checked techpowerup and many reviews and noticed that they come with this switch, mine has only 2 naked pins and I am not sure what I should do about them. From the picture you sent it says v1.0 and mine is v1.1 that's probably the difference (or its bios version, idk), I have another board too sealed and I noticed it doesn't come with switch as well.

Also its stuck at 0.8 ghz in the bios screen as well.

If it's just bare pins then it's already be in the off position. That means your problem is somewhere else. I'd start with power settings, make sure your Maximum processor state is set to 100%. Also go through your BIOS to see if anything is set up incorrectly. I would also grab some software like Open Hardware Monitor to see what your CPU temps are. If the temps don't look right, it could be a thermal issue, but it could also mean a faulty temperature sensor.

Me-Professional

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Should I short them out using a key or screw driver? Maximum Processor state is set to 100%, I made the bios default and the temperature is 25, 28, 24, 25 in idle and simple tasks so I don't think it throttles, and if it is a faulty temperature sensor then why thermal stop whenever I boot to window, I found that this thing is checked

http://imgur.com/a/p23OO

When I uncheck it everything returns normal and I really can't return this board since I am not in USA and shipping it wouldn't be good idea for the high costs :( ?!

Edit: I just wanted to say there is no way this going to be a faulty thermal sensor afaik since the temperature readings are just fine..

Don't short them. With nothing connected, it's already in the OFF position. That's what you want. When they're connected, it turns SLOW boot mode on for testing. And there are a couple of sensors on the mobo, not just the CPU. If any of them give a faulty reading it can force it to throttle.

Two things do come to mind however. First, does it stay at 800 MHz at all times? It's normal to clock down to 800 MHz when it isn't doing much, that's a normal power saving feature. Second, have you checked for BIOS updates? You're running a Kaby Lake chip in a Z170 mobo. It may not be properly set up to handle it.

Me-Professional

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

It does stay 800mhz all the time even when I stress the CPU, its just stuck there.
and yes, I updated the motherboard to the latest bios already, I went to a computer store and grabbed a skylake chip and then upgraded the mobo to the latest bios version from the msi website..

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-MPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM.html#down-bios

Shame on msi :(

There are temp sensors for mobo components as well as CPU. Also power consumption and so forth. Any of them can trip BD PROCHOT, not just CPU temps. You might be able to disable Intel Thermal Adaptive Thermal Monitor in your BIOS, but I really don't recommend it. If something ever goes wrong, like your cooler works loose, your chip could fry itself because its auto shutoff won't kick in.

Me-Professional

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that the bios was the issue, the v1.3 did lock the multiplier, I downgraded to v1.2 which still supports kabylake but it works just fine with no more downclocking at least for now, I thought of doing so when I saw someone on msi forums carries the same issue with same motherboard but even with a skylake chip..

Me-Professional

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

I hope so, I told MSI to release a hot fix and get their stuff done, the support was telling me RMA it RMA it RMA it lol I don't want to RMA it, anyway thank you for helping me best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS