Question i7 8700k 3.2ghz idling at 50-55C

Oct 29, 2019
Hey, so recently I've noticed that my CPU is idling around 50-55 when I'm not playing any games. It's only 3.2ghz so I don't think it's been overclocked (Got a pre-built) and I'm a bit worried that something might be wrong.

I'll be honest that I'm kinda new to computing so my knowledge isn't the best. I got my computer last December and it definitely use to idle cooler, but I can't remember what the idling temperature was. I haven't cleaned the dust out my case since I got it either and I know I really need too, so I'm getting to it later this week as well as replacing the thermal paste.

Is this potentially dangerous idling temperatures for 3.2ghz?

If in Balanced mode, when under almost no-load conditions such as when loafing at the desktop or reading Notepad docs, it should sit at 800 - 1000 MHz, and you will see brief spikes to as high as 4700 MHz when opening applications, and, if launching a game or running CPU-Z//bench/stress CPU it should then sit on all cores (as monitored by HWMonitor) at about 4400 MHz or so if cooling/TDP and power budget allow, assuming no one has put it in Economy mode, disabled Turbo boost, altered min/max processor states, etc., and, assuming all chipset drivers were installed correctly for the mainboard in question....(preferably a Z370 or Z390)

Reactions: Gazra
It would be good to know which system you have so we know the specs, especially the cooler used. Also if you have not cleaned and dusted it since you bought it, I would definitely give it a good clean and dust out of all the filters. Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out, clean the fans and if you have an AIO, blow any dust out of the radiator. If you have an air cooler, remove the fan, clean it and blow out any dust from the heatsinc fins...

Reactions: Gazra
Oct 29, 2019
It would be good to know which system you have so we know the specs, especially the cooler used. Also if you have not cleaned and dusted it since you bought it, I would definitely give it a good clean and dust out of all the filters. Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out, clean the fans and if you have an AIO, blow any dust out of the radiator. If you have an air cooler, remove the fan, clean it and blow out any dust from the heatsinc fins...
It's an MSI aegis 3 pre-built with a MSI 1070 ARMOR OC but apart from that I'm not sure what the motherboard is, cooling system and powersupply, but I think the powersupply is 600 or 650W. Next month I plan on building my own computer with a 2070 super and same CPU. Everything else will be brand new.

I'm going to clean it out as soon as I can, but I'm rather busy with work currently so most days when I get home I usually just go to sleep... Rinse and repeat really.

Oct 29, 2019
If in Balanced mode, when under almost no-load conditions such as when loafing at the desktop or reading Notepad docs, it should sit at 800 - 1000 MHz, and you will see brief spikes to as high as 4700 MHz when opening applications, and, if launching a game or running CPU-Z//bench/stress CPU it should then sit on all cores (as monitored by HWMonitor) at about 4400 MHz or so if cooling/TDP and power budget allow, assuming no one has put it in Economy mode, disabled Turbo boost, altered min/max processor states, etc., and, assuming all chipset drivers were installed correctly for the mainboard in question....(preferably a Z370 or Z390)
I'm sorry but as I said I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to computing, so I'm honestly not sure what half that stuff is lol

It's an MSI aegis 3 pre-built with a MSI 1070 ARMOR OC but apart from that I'm not sure what the motherboard is, cooling system and powersupply, but I think the powersupply is 600 or 650W. Next month I plan on building my own computer with a 2070 super and same CPU. Everything else will be brand new.

I'm going to clean it out as soon as I can, but I'm rather busy with work currently so most days when I get home I usually just go to sleep... Rinse and repeat really.

Yep, I have just had a look at the inside of the Aegis 3 and it looks like if you do not keep on top of dusting it every once in a while, dust will build up though it looks fairly easy to get in there and clear it our with compressed air. Also it runs a little warm normally so keeping on top dusting will make sure it runs well...Nice pictures of the interior in the review below. This one is the 8700 non K so the base clocks for the CPU is 3.2GHz with it boosting 4.6Ghz....

https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/dominic-moass/msi-aegis-3-8th-prototype-i7-8700-1070-ti-review/

Oct 29, 2019
Yep, I have just had a look at the inside of the Aegis 3 and it looks like if you do not keep on top of dusting it every once in a while, dust will build up though it looks fairly easy to get in there and clear it our with compressed air. Also it runs a little warm normally so keeping on top dusting will make sure it runs well...Nice pictures of the interior in the review below. This one is the 8700 non K so the base clocks for the CPU is 3.2GHz with it boosting 4.6Ghz....

https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/dominic-moass/msi-aegis-3-8th-prototype-i7-8700-1070-ti-review/
Appreciate the information my friend. My CPU is currently 3.2ghz as I mentioned above, is that base clock speed? And if I were to overclock, what would be the overclock speed?