i7 8700k 4,7Ghz MAX Turbo Limit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hi guys,

I have an intel I7 8700K mounted on ASUS Z370-E Gaming motherboard with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 Pro AIO cooler. I tried running 4.7Ghz on all cores. I set my VCORE to Adaptive mode and a value of 1.2 V, Load Line Calibration to 4 (with 3 it fails in Prime95 10 sec into the test). I maxed out the power and current limits. Now when i run Prime95 Small FFT test, i get 4,7Ghz at first, but it drops to 4,6 and remains there, with the test running stable. Looking in HWiNFO i see "IA: Max Turbo Limit" set to YES. There are no other events (no throttling due to temperatures or power draw). The CPU temperature never goes over 79 degrees during the prime95 test. What could be causing the CPU to throttle down to 4,6Ghz? I attached a screenshot from HWiNFO.

2u6d478.png

Reviews of that cooler are not very promising, I hope you get a good one.

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

If it is not ok, i can return it within 30 days and get something else. If you had to buy an AIO, what would be your choice?

The EK XLC Predator vs 1.1 https://www.amazon.com/EKWB-EK-XLC-Predator-Liquid-Cooling/dp/B014CVMMI0

Unfortunately there were a few leaks with version 1.0 and EK released vs 1.1 of which I have one on my wifes computer and have had zero problems with. But I guess as high a quality as EK is they refused to accept a black eye from anything they produce and they've pulled all the Predator line to revamp the system.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-is-announcing-modular-liquid-cooling-products/

As of yet I haven't seen any of these new systems pop up to be acquired yet but hopefully soon but if I was spending my money on an all in one that would be it because quality wise no other company out there producing AIOs can touch it.

It's the new Phoenix line.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-mlc-phoenix/

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

Unfortunately the EK XLC Predator is out of stock everywhere i checked, and i really need to solve my cooling problem so i can be sure if my MB is bad or not. If it arrives, i will return the h115i and buy the EK XLC Predator.

You're probably not going to find the EK XLC Predator even on Ebay, have you even considered a custom loop?

There are really good starter kits available.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/raystorm-pro-photon-d5-ax280-watercooling-kit.html#Details

This kit comes with a D5 pump mounted on the reservoir that can be mounted horizontally or vertically.
The pump is plenty strong even for expand-ability to a 2nd radiator if needed, or water cooling a graphics card or 2. The radiator is the basically the same size as the Corsair you're considering but thicker and can handle more cooling. The Raystorm CPU water block is a great block as many water coolers can attest to. A kit like this will last you a long time and be transferable when you upgrade later.

Just a suggestion.

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I am considering a custom loop, but i don't know if any custom loop is going to fit inside my case (NZXT S340 Elite), and for the next few months i don't want to spend too much on any pc related stuff.

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Later this year, i might decide on a custom loop, and i would like to cool everything with it (cpu, gpu, vrm). I hope it's ok to ask for your advice on what parts are ok to buy. Can that starter kit in your link be expanded to cool the graphics card, and VRM?

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I have installed the H115i, and the temps are a little lower, but still seem high. I think there is a problem with the TIM between the chip and the heat spreader. I know Intel is famous for using bad quality TIM, but i think i got the worst. I have made a request to Intel and i will wait for a response. The CPU gets to 80C while the water in the cooler slowly rises from 30 C to almost 40 C. It seems like the heat doesn't escape fast enough to get transfered to the cooler. Have you ever seen a CPU with this kind of problem? With prime95 26.6 i get max 72C. Right now everything is stock, including Auto Vcore. I might get lower temps with lower Vcore, but still i think my CPU is getting too hot

My temperatures were higher than I wanted that's why I delided my 8700K, I used the Dr. Delid Professional Tool to do it, nice tool, good German engineered quality, and the delid and relid was very easy.

http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cool...MIh6SP87SH2AIVzwQqCh24AAZeEAYYASABEgITGfD_BwE

I replaced the TIM under the heat spreader with Cool Laboratory Liquid Metal Pro, and resealed the Heat Spreader to the CPU substrate with Permatex Black Silicone Gasket Maker you can snag the gasket sealer from an auto parts store.

The most time consuming part of it was removing the old sealer from the heat spreader and the CPU substrate, I strongly suggest if you have no experience to research how others did the delidding. Oh almost forgot there are either 3 or 4 exposed copper contact points I think it's 3 that you'll need to insulate, many use clear nail polish to do it, I used black liquid tape takes a very small amount to seal the copper.

FYI: If you're not going to use some type of liquid metal to replace the stock Intel TIM you're probably wasting your time, either use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, or Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra or Pro.

The good thing about me having to wait the 3 weeks to get the tool was giving me research time into how to do it, some have failed not everyone has been successful, do not forget that Please.

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

I delided and applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. The temps dropped from 81-83 C to 58-60 C at stock in prime95 with AVX. In prime95 26.6 it never goes over 53C. I get 20 C lower temps on average. That is one cold CPU

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I flashed the latest BIOS (0607) that was released 2 days ago and my XMP seems stable now with 1.2 VCCIO/VCCSA (they are set automatically to these values when i activate the XMP profile. With the old BIOS they were set to 1.3V VCCIO and 1.25 VCCSA). I am now running 4.7Ghz at 1.2V adaptive Vcore with LLC 5, and it is stable. I think this MB has very weak VRM, because it overheats under heavy AVX load (small fft in the latest version of prime95). Under any stress test i get Vcore exactly as it is set, but under prime95 small fft with avx i set 1.2, and it drops to 1.136V. I do not get crashes or errors, but the VRM throttles after 15-20 min. I am probably going to get a MB with a better VRM. Any suggestions for a MB with a solid VRM?

nightmare392

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Thanks! Unfortunately i have bought the parts in november, so it's a little too late to return the board and get the Hero. I will probably end up selling my current MB and than buying the Hero.