[SOLVED] i7 8700k CPU 100 degrees at 50% load

Apr 8, 2020
Hi, so i've had this build for almost two years now. I've never had any problems with it, but my CPU temps has been high since day 1. I assumed it was normal when gaming, because when I am not gaming it stays at the 40s.

So today I decided to reapply some thermal paste (Arctic Mx-4) and the temperatures haven't really changed and after booting the computer, it froze. I rebooted and it froze again. Since then, it has been working fine even on gaming (apart from the high temps)

I tried changing fans to a more aggressive curve, but no luck. I also tried playing a game with the case open and I did not notice any difference.

My build is:
i7 8770k (Arctic Freezer 13 heatsink)
ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming
16 GB RAM DDR4
GTX 970
Case : Corsair Carbide Spec-03

I decided to log the CPU temps with Corsair's iCUE software (you can see the gaming temps in the bottom of the spreadsheet): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8eoEgz6J9hys6-VtdW4lMY8FGrB7fSDk3AfxXnTlyk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance

Solution
The heatsink in question is less than half the size of what many are/were installing on 8700K CPUs...

See what your temps are with a gaming-equivalent load, normally attainable with a 15 minute run on CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu...

If 80C or under, that would possibly be the best you might see with a fairly smallish single stack/single fan air cooler, even at INtel's intended stock clock-speeds/turbo profile (one core at 4.7 GHz, 2 cores at 4.6 GHz, etc....
The heatsink in question is less than half the size of what many are/were installing on 8700K CPUs...

See what your temps are with a gaming-equivalent load, normally attainable with a 15 minute run on CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu...

If 80C or under, that would possibly be the best you might see with a fairly smallish single stack/single fan air cooler, even at INtel's intended stock clock-speeds/turbo profile (one core at 4.7 GHz, 2 cores at 4.6 GHz, etc....

Reactions: daredouane
Solution
Apr 8, 2020

Which heatsink would you recommend? I'm looking for something somewhat affordable.

Do I risk any damage with the CPU at 100 degrees constantly? (I mean it's been the case for almost two years now)

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Have you ever update your motherboard bios since day 1? If not, you should do it. My son's computer with AsRock Z370 and i7 8700 has high temp issue even at idle about 2 years ago when intel just release i7 8700. At idle, its CPU voltage runs at 1.2 volts and it ran hot even with Cooler Master 212. This problem was fixed several months later after updating to new release bios from AsRock. At idle now, its voltage is like 1.0 volts.

Here is the link to the bios for your ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-H-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Which heatsink would you recommend? I'm looking for something somewhat affordable.

Do I risk any damage with the CPU at 100 degrees constantly? (I mean it's been the case for almost two years now)
Anything from Noctua - I have a NH-D15 SSO (dual 140mm) on a 5GHz i9900K and even under load I nave never seen above 72 or 73deg. Helps to have a well ventilated case as well

Yes, at 100C you are risking damage. There are larger HSFs for a reason - this is one of them. Never cheap out on your power supply and never cheap out on your HSF.

Poster above gave a link for the BIOS for that particular board - but the HSF you have right now is insufficient.

The Scythe Mugen 5 is popular at under $50, and, if it keeps a 9700K's temps reasonable, it should suffice for a, 8700K....

I read a review of another recent monster tall air cooler (can't recall the name, but it has 173mm mounting height needed???) that claimed to be quieter than an NH-D15, but, since I can barely hear the NH-D15 even with the case cover removed, that would have to be impressively...quieter than quiet,,,,?

Mar 27, 2020
Hi, so i've had this build for almost two years now. I've never had any problems with it, but my CPU temps has been high since day 1. I assumed it was normal when gaming, because when I am not gaming it stays at the 40s.

So today I decided to reapply some thermal paste (Arctic Mx-4) and the temperatures haven't really changed and after booting the computer, it froze. I rebooted and it froze again. Since then, it has been working fine even on gaming (apart from the high temps)

I tried changing fans to a more aggressive curve, but no luck. I also tried playing a game with the case open and I did not notice any difference.

My build is:
i7 8770k (Arctic Freezer 13 heatsink)
ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming
16 GB RAM DDR4
GTX 970
Case : Corsair Carbide Spec-03

I decided to log the CPU temps with Corsair's iCUE software (you can see the gaming temps in the bottom of the spreadsheet): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8eoEgz6J9hys6-VtdW4lMY8FGrB7fSDk3AfxXnTlyk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance

Ever checked a phone battery by spinning on a glass surface for degradation?
Do the same with the chip to check whether 100% flat or not.
If not then forget warranty and google for solution.

Cooler too.