Question i7 8700K High Idle Temps

auzzie1077

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
At Idle on PC start up I can easily get around 50-60 Degrees celcius, sometimes it shoots up to 70+ and then slowly comes down to the 50-60 range, but giving my side panel a hit drops the temps down to ~40 degrees.

I have swapped fans to different headers, put fans in different spots and also put on new thermal paste (Artic Silver 5) and also tried with a different brand of thermal paste.

I am using Corsair H115i 280mm AIO on a Asus Z370-H Gaming motherboard in a Corsair 750D Case.

Not sure if AIO pump is on the way out and giving a bump to the case gets it spinning again or what.
As of typing this my current temps are sitting at 44°C which is a lot better compared to the 50-60 I usually get.

Any assistance on what is doing this would be greatly appreciated.
I have also emailed Corsair Support in hopes they have any idea on what is going on

auzzie1077

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
have you gone into the settings and checked your fan curve?
Last time I played with those in BIOS was I believe when I first got the cooler I was in the Fan Control and "Optimized All"
But if you are talking about the curve within Corsair iCue, the pump and fan are always on Extreme.
It's odd, as far as I know these temps have been regular but after replacing old Thermal Paste I started to pay more attention to temps and noticed they were higher than usual.

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Last time I played with those in BIOS was I believe when I first got the cooler I was in the Fan Control and "Optimized All"
But if you are talking about the curve within Corsair iCue, the pump and fan are always on Extreme.
It's odd, as far as I know these temps have been regular but after replacing old Thermal Paste I started to pay more attention to temps and noticed they were higher than usual.

have you overclock your 8700k? im at 4.9 @ 1.27 and it idles at 34c and sitting at 50 - 60 while gaming, something must be up with your cpu

auzzie1077

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
have you overclock your 8700k? im at 4.9 @ 1.27 and it idles at 34c and sitting at 50 - 60 while gaming, something must be up with your cpu

Should of mentioned, CPU is de lidded and it just has a standard OC from within BIOS just to 4.3GHz.
But like I said, giving the side o the case a decent thump drops the temps 15-20 degrees at times.. which I really don't understand.