Question i7-8700k idle temp is 90-98c

May 20, 2019
i7-8700k. I never tiried OC'ing. My idle temp is at 90-98c and I lag when I game. I tried putting thermal paste and the game lag is gone but back after 3 days. my cooler is NZXT Kraken m22. pls help. sorry for my bad english.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
If its at 90 degrees celsius, you need to shut your computer off right xxx xxxx now before your cpu actually melts

<MODERATOR EDIT>

SaltedClorox

VULGARITY is a BANNING OFFENSE and is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN !!!

Tom's is a family friendly website!

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See video installation guide and check things over. Preferably watch video on phone or tablet to avoid running your PC any longer. If cables/connectors and mounts seem to be in order i would consider asking a PC store for help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A 9700k is capable of @ 200w output under Prime95 small fft at 5.0GHz locked cores. A good aircooler or 240mm runs @ 250w+, so is plenty for that cpu. The 9900k/s at a 5.0GHz full lock core is looking at @ 250w so really requires the 300w+/350w+ of the 280mm/360mm AIO's, even a NH-D15 seriously struggles at its 250w+ rating.

Next to that, the 90w put out by a stock 8700k at full load is chump change, it's only under OC values with locked cores that you'll see outputs hitting @ 150w, which is more than that 140w M22 can handle.

But that's load temps, not idle temps. Idle temps have little to do with the cpu as power usage is minimal. Has everything to do with case ambient temps, and/or in this case, the possibility of incorrect mounting. Since there's no way that the case ambients will be anywhere close to 90°C, the only 3 possible, viable answers are incorrect mount, aio failure or °C/°F reads.

TRENDING THREADS