Question i7 8700k running at temps between 95-100 deg Celsius

May 23, 2020
System Specs (Origin PC Build):
Intel i7 8700k @ 3.7ghz, 3696 Mhz
ASRock Z370M Pro4 Motherboard
CPU Cooling: Asetek Frostbyte 120mm Cooler
2x 16 GB Origin PC DDR4 3000Mhz
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 TI (Just upgraded to a EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC)
PSU: EVGA 1000Wtt Supernova G3
OS HDD: 1TB Samsung 960Evo NVMe M.2
Storage: 500GB Samsung 960Evo NVMe M.2

I've had my PC for about 2 years and have always noticed below average FPS performance in most games when compared to watching YouTube videos of people playing the game with similar or weaker PC builds, but I never paid much attention to it because FPS rates were adequate for me. However, while upgrading my graphics card to a EVGA RTX 2080 TI, I realized that my CPU core temps consistently run high in the mid 90 C to capping out at 100 C even when I'm not actively using the PC. After replacing my GTX 1080 TI, I noticed very little increase in performance in my games, and in some cases FPS rates worsened. I did a 3d Mark bench test and stress test, the stress test graph looked like a heartbeat with the FPS shooting up to over 100 when the GPU load also reached close to 100%, but then the GPU load would immediately drop to around 60%, resulting in an overall framerate stability of 66% for the test. At first I thought there may be something wrong with the GPU, but I'm wondering if it has more to do with the CPU? So far I've done a thorough cleaning of all my fans, reapplied fresh thermal paste to the CPU, set my CPU bios settings to default, and did a fresh install of Windows 10 and it has made zero difference to CPU temps. On any game I play, CPU temp consistently runs at 100 C even though the CPU load may only be at 50%. Any help on what I should do would be much appreciated as I'm seriously considering ditching this build and ordering a new one from a different vendor.

Here are links to my benchmark and stress tests:

Benchmark: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/12184106
Stress Test: https://www.3dmark.com/tsst/1090321

Last edited: