Question i7 8700k upgrade

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I am looking to upgrade my CPU from an i5 6600k to i7 8700k. How significant will this upgrade be? I know it's an i7 but want to know if it's going to be worth it.

Cheers.

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
CPU: Intel i5 6600k.
Motherboard: Asus z70 Gaming(which i'll be upgrading to a compatiable board.)
Ram: 16gb Hyper X fury
SSD/HDD: 2x samsung evo 500gb.
GPU: EVGA 1070 FTW
PSU: Corsair 600w
Chassis: CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5.

I like to game but also multitask from time to time.

The closer July gets, the more motivation to wait, IMO...

(I'd be VERY interested to see what RYzen 3000 brings to the performance table!)

Unless Intel has their newer 14nm+++++++ process down to voodoo -science levels and reserving best silicon for the newer models, I don't see jumping to 10 cores and possibly tweaking clocks to 5.1 GHz as being all that big a leap forward; in fact, jumping to 10 cores, I'd expect them to have to lower base clocks by ~100-200 MHz across all cores on average to meet TDP goals...

Last edited:
you will get better performance of course, but the boost you will get depends on what you currently do and if your CPU is the limiting factor. Monitor your CPU usage and see how often its hitting 100, look online and look at benchmarks for the tasks you do.

If money isn't a concern than sure why not, but if you are looking for best bang for your buck and aren't in dire need of more speed, I would consider holding out a little while to see how ryzen 3000 shakes up the market.