I7 920 Build Freezing Randomly All The Time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arda

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009

I have linksys WMP300N wireless card and i didnt find its proper x64 driver too so i installed 32 bit driver for it. However that driver worked fine in my previous configuration and didn't make vista freeze.

wildert

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I got...

Core i7 920
Biostar x58
12gb corsair xms
4 HDs (raid0 and raid1)

Freezing all the time, I notice that when I take it down to 4 GB it stops freezing, but it doesn't matter which 4GB. 8GB it freezes after 10 minutes, 12GB it freezes almost immediately

anan1611

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I fixed my problem after changing card by card ...
the problem for my freezing in the CPU , therefore the hardware programs tell me that there is no problem with it, but when i change it i explore the the problem with it
just CPU CPU CPU CPU
i changed and everything is ok now ....

-----------------------

wildert : the problem with your memory cards could be not in the memory
cause you say when you try card by card dont freeze , so the memories not have any problem i think but to make sure that there is no problem with the memory
Test them with this program : memtest86 (run it by booting cd)
if there is no problems with any ram so the problem with the slots in the motherborad i think ....

Blakksheap

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I'm having the same issues of random freezes, but I'm not using the i7. I have a Q6600. I thought it was RAM, tested each stick with no errors. Then I thought it was my Hard drives, tested them individually, no errors. I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I'm running RAID 0 and thought it might be the array. I deleted the array, and rebuilt it with a clean install, and still the same issues. I've had this setup for about 2 years, and never had these problems before. Could it be something that changed in Vista 64? I'm leaving my hardware setup, so if anyone can tell me anything about it and possible problems in Vista 64. Any help would be appreciated.

OCZ Game Xstream 700W PSU
EVGA 780i SLI mobo
Q6600 CPU w/ ASUS cooler
4GB OCZ PC8500 DDR2 SLI RAM (4 x 1GB)
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 32MB cache
(Running in SATA RAID 0 with Nvidia MediaShield)
EVGA 8800GT Video
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music Audio
Linksys WMP54G Wireless Card
Lite-On DVD-RW Drive (IDE)

ramg1967

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hello Friends,

I am also having same issue with newly built i7 desktop. Following are the specs:
1. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard
2. 2.5TB (500GB x5) Western Digital HD
3. 12GB Patriot Memory 10600 DDR3
4. ATI DDR5 1GB Video Card
5. Vista Ultimate x64 & Server 2008 x64
6. 1000W Power Supply Xion brand
7. Full Tower Cooler Master HAF 932
System Problem - Freezes when idle (say 10-15 minutes). There are no conflict in the device manager. I have updated with the latest BIOS 610 for the motherboard and Vista & Server is running SP2. I am running multi boot system. The system temp is 38c (CPU) & 42c (Motherboard).
What is causing the system to freeze when IDLE? I am searching the NET for possible solution. Unable to find anything.
Appreciate your help pls.

Thanks

Ram

doctharock

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I was also having freezing problems with my i7 setup. I had it overclocked to 3.3 ghz. I went into the bios and set the motherboard to load optimized defaults. That reset the overclocking, but since then it has not freezed up on me one time. I know it wasn't an overheating issue, as the cpu never raised above 45°c under full load. It just wasn't stable. So if you are freezing up then try resetting the bios to the optimized defaults. Worked for me.

Here is my system

msi x58 motherboard
i7 920
1 tb WD Caviar 7200rpm
6 gig OCZ gold ddr3
ati 4870 2gb gddr5
windows 7 rc x64
550w antec true power II
coolermaster V8 cpu fan

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

ban.

Jira

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I got the exactly same freezing issue.

My config:

MB: ASUS P6T deluxe V2
CPU: i7-920 (I have tried also w5580 3,2GHz before and it was the same)
MEM: 3x2GB CORSAIR 1600MHz
VGA: ASUS EN8800GT 512MB
PSU: Corsair 520W

I have the newest BIOS 0610
Its freezing in all 64bit systems.. (I thing that in xp more often than in Vista)

when it freezes, I can see the last screen and I have to use hard reset. When I turn it on by power button, the numlock on my keyboard stay shining after power off.

I have tried lot of BIOS Settings like disabling C1E support, CPU TM function, Intel speed step technology, Intel C-state technology, A20M (disable for Win Vista/Win7) and enable for other OS.
I have also hard set up my CPU:
CPU ratio:20
BLCK:133
Dram freq: 1066
UCLK: auto
QPI link data rate: 4800MT/s)

and my mems to 9,9,9,24 2N
+ also some other settings like
Dram Bus Voltage 1.56V
Load lne calibrate: enabled
CPU diferential amplitude: 900mV

but nothing was effective :(

Pls, help..
mems to 9,9,9,24 2N

G

I had the same proble as you are describing..and I was rly crazy from it..
try to remove battery for 5sec. It was effective for me. (not just use "load default settings" in BIOS)

G

ignore this post pls. This is not working. It was just luck that it hasn't freeyed for some time :??:

azteen

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
i had same issue with i7...thought it was my ocz vertex..but actually it was my sata dvd-rw

it was freezing up 10 min ago i pulled the connections off the rom completely and it's working perfectly..

hope this helps someone

G

The problem described with the I7 920 randomly freezing is happening to a friend of mine with a biostar x58 mb and corsair dominator ram 6gb at 1866 mhz. Odin 800W PSU and windows 7 64bit. Even running stock settings system freezes randomly.

Temperature is not an issue as it stays well below 40 degrees. You said in your post on toms hardware that you suspect you know what the issue is as the timings didn't help nor the voltage change. Any help would be appreciated.

Bios settings:

uncore freq : 3733
dram freq: 1867
cmd rate: 1T
vcore : 0.160v
cpu vtt: 1.440v
dram: 1.640v

CPU running at 2.66 ghz.

Rone

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Anyone who is experiencing frequent crashes with seemingly no pattern, especially crashing that locks the entire rig (screen freezes, mouse pointer freezes, and hdd light is completely inactive), I highly recommend that you find a software that monitors your PSU voltages. many higher end builds are using psu's that simply cannot handle the job. I have already repaired 2 puters with this problem and mine had the problem a few years ago. It is obscure there is nothing to trace so it is very hard to diagnose and the voltages will be ok sometimes and then drop under load (gaming, vid rendering apps). Make doubly sure you are getting over 12v, over 3.3, and over 1.6, and that the rig can sustain those voltages under load. A computer will run with lower voltages until under load or sometimes just a few minutes until it locks.

Since it is hard to diagnose sometimes, you can simply go to your fav. puter store and buy a new psu, something not only with high wattage but more importantly with high amperage. I highly recommend Corsair psu's, simply compare their amp specs with other manufacturers. If it works you're happy, if not you can usually return the psu for a refund, no problem. Don't be surprised if it works, and dont' skimp on the PSU for your high end builds, it will come back to bite ya.

GQx

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Dear Sirs,

I am experiencing the exact same problem that has been said throughout this thread. My PC will randomly freeze although it usually freezes if I am playing Left 4 Dead.

The game will run perfectly fine for about 10-15 minutes. Then all of a sudden it will just lock up. There will be no sound loop, just a freeze frame. Temperature reads 29-33 degrees on the mobo, around 40-47 for the cores in the EVGA monitoring program. It has frozen on me using adobe premier and a couple of times using outlook.

I have the following specs:
Core i7 920
GTX 260
OCZ 1600 mhz memory (6GB)
antec 850w PSU
EVGA X58 mobo
WD 1TB caviar green HDD

I am using Windows 7 Pro

These are the measures I have taken:
1.I have swapped the video card for an HD4890, same problem.
2.Ordered another set of memory, Same problem. I ran Memtest on each stick, they all checked out, on both sets.
3.I just swapped out the PSU for an OCZ ModXStream 700W, same problem.
4.RMA'd motherboard for no reason, because i still have the same problem.
5.Just got a WD 2TB HDD, same problem.

The only thing i have not swapped out is the CPU.

Could that even be a possibility? The CPU works but then busts while in use, only to work after a restart? I've never heard of a partially failing CPU, but is it possible? I have tried a fresh install with just L4D and it still freezes, so it's definitely not a software problem. I tried using vista , same issue. Then i tried vista 32, but that was no help either.

Is anyone else still having this issue?

EDIT : I forgot to add that I made this build back in January. Everything was 100% ok until about July/August. I had overclocked the system but only to 3.0 GHz since i felt it was fast enough for my purposes. Currently it is not overclocked at all and the BIOS is up to date and default settings.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Make sure your ram is running at its rated specs. Look up the voltage required for your ram and make sure it is set to that amount along with the correct timings.

Also I dont have any proof of this idea but I do it anyways. I disable all the power options on vista/7 for the hdds. I do not like the idea of turning off hdds after 10mins of idle or whatever it is.

GQx

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Voltages are set to what is specified, still nothing.

Like i said, It was working for a good 6 months before it started doing this.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
You try safemode? Only thing I can think of then is a driver or software issue causing the problem. If you still cant figure it out you can also do this. Dual boot with any other OS you have. Preferably windows so you can run your games and see if the system fails. You can also use a linux distro and toss some heavy loads at the machine and see if it crashes.

GQx

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

I appreicate the help but, like i said in my previous post, It is not software related and I have installed 7 and vista both 64 and 32 bit. And the problem started after 6 months, which means there was no problem from janurary - july/august. Definitley nothing to do with the OS, but thanks anyway.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
You simply cant rule out software because you did not have any problems for the 1st six months. By trying the three different clean installs of the OS you can though.

Next thing to would be the same drivers you used 6 months ago. If still no luck get a hold of Intel and see if you can exchange the cpu.

Don't bash on a company just because you've experienced a few defect products from them.

Seagate is one of the best companies out there, their Barracuda is very highly rated, equal to WD's Caviar Black & Blue series.

G

Hey guys,

I'd also like to add another one experiencing random system freezes at idle. There is nothing I can see that seems to be directly causing this. I can run programs at full load and have no issue then be doing something like playing a youtube video or even switching applications and have it freeze on me. The specs are as follows:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
Noctua U12P heatsink
G.Skill 3x2gb Trident DDR3 2000
Antec 750w PSU
Asus 8800GT
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Seagate 1TB HD
64Gb Gskill SSD for OS

I've tried changing ram timings, disabling the turbo mode and reseating the cpu and heatsink but still having the same problems. The RAM timings I've tried have been 9-9-9-24 1.65v which clock it at around 4000hz.

Idle temps are around the 45-50c mark which increase to around 65 when playing games. I thought it may have been heat related but when blowing cool air from a hair drier onto the cpu and bringing the idle temps down to 36c it still froze so it must be something else.

One thing worth mentioning is even though I have the power plan on high performance and set 0 throttling of the CPU in the bios I notice the multiplier jumps anywhere from 13 - 20 which is strange since I thought it was disabled.

This seems to be a really common problem among 920s and the x58 chipset. It definitely sounds like a compatibility issue but not sure how to fix it.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Hey guys,

I'd also like to add another one experiencing random system freezes at idle. There is nothing I can see that seems to be directly causing this. I can run programs at full load and have no issue then be doing something like playing a youtube video or even switching applications and have it freeze on me. The specs are as follows:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
Noctua U12P heatsink
Antec 750w PSU
Asus 8800GT
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Seagate 1TB HD
64Gb Gskill SSD for OS

I've tried changing ram timings, disabling the turbo mode and reseating the cpu and heatsink but still having the same problems. The RAM timings I've tried have been 9-9-9-24 1.65v which clock it at around 4000hz.

Idle temps are around the 45-50c mark which increase to around 65 when playing games. I thought it may have been heat related but when blowing cool air from a hair drier onto the cpu and bringing the idle temps down to 36c it still froze so it must be something else.

One thing worth mentioning is even though I have the power plan on high performance and set 0 throttling of the CPU in the bios I notice the multiplier jumps anywhere from 13 - 20 which is strange since I thought it was disabled.

This seems to be a really common problem among 920s and the x58 chipset. It definitely sounds like a compatibility issue but not sure how to fix it.

I haven't used a hair drier since the 1980s. They can actually blow cool air now? I know its unrelated but eh.

GQx

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hey guys,

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Mobo
Noctua U12P heatsink
Antec 750w PSU
Asus 8800GT
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Seagate 1TB HD
64Gb Gskill SSD for OS

I'm also having this problem and i was just wondering if your problem just started or if it magically appeared recently like mine did?