I7 920 Build Freezing Randomly All The Time

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

terry_b

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hi,

I have the P6T SE, and I've been having the same problem for the past month. After a lot of communication with Asus support (which was not helping me at all, since they asked me to change everything in my computer but the motherboard), I finally found the problem.

This is what I found that fixed my random freezing problem:

I changed the value of "DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay" from [Auto] to 6. I found out that when it's set to [Auto], its value is 0, or disabled. If I set 6, no freezing anymore.

Please try, and let me know if that fixed your problem.

Terry

GQx

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
This did not help me but thank you for the suggestion. I now only freeze If i am playing left4dead 1/2. I know its not a video driver issue because i've used 180-191 video drivers from nvidia (gtx 260 here) and i have replaced the GPU with an ATI HD4890 with the same issues. I've replaced EVERYTHING except the case and cpu (i even changed the dvd drive..). I hope this means that it is defnitley the processor.

einari

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Hi

I´ve had this same issue ever since I changed from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. I´ve tried virtually everything there is and nothing helps.

But what I´ve read from many other forums, it looks like its a driver issue for windows 7. Some people have gotten rid of this freezing by changing to power saving to high performance, but it didnt work for me.

My specs

P5K
C2D E8500
HD 4870X2
4x1gb hyperX 1066 mhz ddr2
700W power
very good air cooling

Hope someone finds a solution for this, i dont want to go back to vista.

issue920

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Hey guys,

having same issue. I say enough how frustrated I am with this after spending out of budget on this system.
I am upto a point where I might just sell it and build Q9550 tower.
Any solution in sight?

please help>........

jros83

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Friends,

I fixed my i7 920 2.66 freezing issue. I will share with you what worked for me. Before I begin, I need to clarify some things. First, the route I took was a little on the pricey side. Second, though I have been into computers for 3/4s of my life, this was the first time built a desktop on my own, so my terminology may not be exact lol. So here is what worked for me.

I originally had the standard model Asus P6T mobo, X58 chipset, with an i7 920 2.66 processor. 12 gigs patriot viper DDR3 1333 ram, vista then later Win7 64. I had been messing with my components and BIOS for weeks. Got to the point where my computer wouldn't boot anymore, even after a complete unwiring and rewiring, removing the cmos and putting back in, doing the jumper thing... something was seriously wrong, more than likely from my manhandling lol. So what I did, was I ordered the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, and, because I suspucted I damaged it (fiddling with thermal paste, handling, touching the wong surface, things of that nature...) another processor of the same type. I set up the new mobo with the new processor. I left BIOS at default (XMP would make my old setup freeze even faster). I booted up... THEN IT FROZE! All was not lost. I powered off, unplugged the main cord, and tried one last thing. On the mobo, where there is the big power connection and then that second one that comes with half of it capped off, I removed that cap and used the full connection ( hope I'm making sense). I then powered back on and booted up again. VOILA! It is now stable. So, the only difference between now and before is the mobo, new processor (but same type), and using that full connection instead of half of it capped off. Now, it's entirely possible that that issue, removing the cap and using the full connection, was the issue all along and perhaps I did not need the new mobo and new processor, however I have to tell you that I had already tried using the full, uncapped connection on the old mobo with the first processor, so it's possible that wasn't the issue or not the entire issue. Long story short, this desktop is stable as hell with:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo
i7 920 2.66 processor
BIOS set at default (I'm not even going to bother tweaking it out)
The smaller power connection fully utilized, i.e. the black plastic cap covering half of it removed and entirely plugged in.

Now it is stable. I hope someone with more experience might gain some insight from this. Maybe you can read between the lines and deduce what the issue could have been and why/how the issue no longer exists for me. Maybe you won't need a new mobo and processor, why spend all that cash if you don't really have to. But all I care about is that my system is now stable.

EDIT: In retrospect... My graphics card is a MONSTER, it's the nVidia GTX 295; thing's huge (but well well worth it...!) Perhaps because of that, my mobo needed as much juice as it could take, so maybe that power connection really was the issue, and perhaps it didn't work when I tried it with the older setup because may have damaged something else in my haphazrd attempts to get this to work.

jfk68_fr

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
All the same with Asus p6t Delux V2, I7 950, 6Gb OCZ, and HD5870..

And the solution was : disable C1E option in Bios

Hope that will help ;)

eager_49

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I have the same random freezing, I have an I7 920 and P6T motherboard. I have it overclocked to 3.1. I ran prime 95 for 10 hours highest temps 65c. I have replaced power supply and video card tested memory. I have tried to overclocked from 4 gigahertz all the way down to my present 3.1 gigahertz. always the overclock will last for about 3 days no problems, then the mouse and screen will lock up, in order to unfreeze it I have to do a hard reset. I have tried all of the previous solutions but ultimately it will continue with the "random freeze ups". Below is list of my present equipment.

Asus P6T MB
Corsair 1000 watt power supply
Corsair H50 cooler
Corsair 6 gig Dominator 1600 mhz memory
Cooler master HAF case
5 WD hard drives
running win 7 64 bit
BFG GTX 275

eager_49

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I just changed my settings in power management to "high performance", seems to have stopped the freezing so far,problem may not be related to p6t, It has been a reliable motherboard, have had it for 6 months.

spoonard

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I am experiencing random crashes/freezes with my i7 920 like the rest of you. It happens very rarely during gaming, but almost ALWAYS when displaying Flash content or encoding video. It doesn't matter what software I use to encode video or view the flash video/game. The lockup sometimes is immediate, sometimes it's a ways into it. From reading the previous posts, everyone has tried everything BUT switching out the processor. Has anyone switched out the processor and had the problem stop?

Here is my rig:

CPU: intel Core i7 920 @2.66Ghz
CPU Cooler: Stock fan/heatsink (Looking into other options)
Mobo: MSI Eclipse Plus
RAM: 6GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600 OC
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 295
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W
Case: Cooler Master Centurion
HDD's: Seagate 500GB SATA
Display's: Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP