Question i7 9700k High CPU Usage? PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2019
Hey,

So first of all, specs...

CPU - Intel i7 9700K
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z390 - A
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU - Corsair TX750M

Over the last 2 or 3 weeks or so my CPU (9700k) usage has sky rocketed on programmes that used to sit at around 30-35%.

If I open my internet browser my CPU usage goes up to 40%, from one tab!

The main problem I am having with this is gaming. I mainly play PUBG which used to sit around 20% usage on the CPU, this is now sitting up at 60-70%! I also play Ghost Recon Wildlands which uses far more of the CPU than PUBG and that game now stutters as the CPU usage goes up to 100% on occassion but is always at 75-85% now.

Both games are ran on medium to high graphics.

Tempretures for the CPU don't go over 50-55 degrees.

I have tried all sorts of things, I am up to date on all drivers and up to date with the windows version.

I have tried a fresh Windows install and that hasn't resolved anything, the only answer that I'm left with is a faulty CPU.

Am I expecting too much from a 9700k? The reason I'm so baffled is my friend has an 8700k and sits around 30% on Wildlands!

I really am at a loss and would appreciate all help. I have attached a screen grab of task manager and core temp alongside each other to show you what I mean.

Thanks in advance folks.

unknown.png

Update your motherboard BIOS.

Then, do a clean install of your graphics drivers using the DDU. That alone is probably the majority of your problem and it usually fixes about 75% of these kinds of issues.

Please ignore the fact that the images are borked. Tinypic just pulled a Photobucket and stopped their free image hosting after years of people uploading images to their site so you're likely to see a lot of this across the internet until images can be fixed by uploading them elsewhere.

May 13, 2019
Hey guys,

Specs first...

CPU - Intel i7 9700K
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z390 - A
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance
Cooler - Corsair 240mm water cooler
PSU - Corsair TX750M

So I game and stream (who doesn't these days) from the one PC. The main game I play is Ghost Recon Wildlands and the recent Ghost Recon Breakpoint, when playing my CPU usage is up at 80% or even higher. Which leaves the streaming software (OBS) with little CPU to use and causes dropped fps in the stream. Game fps isn't affected.

CPU usage image at the bottom when playing the Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta recently..

My friend has a 8700k and is at 40-45% CPU usage and we have almost exactly the same rig. Is this a 9700k thing or am I missing something?

The CPU runs at that same high percentage with everything else closed and just the game open. Even with games like PUBG the CPU usage is really high, around the 70% mark.

The temps are fine, no more than 50-55.

Surely something else must be wrong for an 8700k to be only used half as much as a 9700k? I know it has 12 threads to my 8 but surely that doesn't affect double the CPU usage?

He says more games are optimised for an 8700k rather than the 9700k?

Can anyone shed any light on this at all?

Thanks guys,

Andy.

unknown.png

May 13, 2019
Hey, yes I updated the mobo bios, which did need an update to be fair. Used DDU and did a clean install.

The problem is still there.

Sorry I should have stated that in the message.

Cool man. No worries. Just need to know in order to know how to proceed.

So, as far as comparing to your friends machine, you're probably comparing apples to oranges unless he has the exact same graphics card, using the exact same in game settings, with a monitor that has the exact same resolution, with a similar amount of available memory (RAM) and that both systems are being run on an OS with approximately the same amount of clutter or lack of clutter.

The CPU "usage" that you are seeing is likely based not on the actual amount of the CPU's full capabilities that are being realized, but instead, on how many cores and threads are being used. For you, if the game is using five or six cores, or even four cores and windows processes are using one or two, it's probably going to show somewhere from 60-100% usage. On his system, using the same five cores is only going to show about 40% usage, because there are 7 cores/hyperthreads not being used at the time.

Are you actually having problems with any of these games, applications or browsing, or is it only the fact of seeing these supposed utilization numbers that are bothering you?

Nov 19, 2019
I have the same issues , I have 9700k and rtx 2070 Asus z390 a , I think the problem here is the Graphics card drivers , currently playing bf5 I have 100 cpu usage and 30 gpu , I already disabled igpu , windows power plan to maximum performance , Nvidia settings , physics use gpu , maximum performance , bios updates , im gone test all gpu Drivers released to date to see if I can find something

Status
Not open for further replies.