i7 9700K or i5 9600K for gaming?

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Hello,

What CPU should I choose to upgrade to? It will be mostly used for gaming. I'm currently running a 6600K on 4.4 GHZ and it bottlenecks my 1070TI hard. The problem with the i7 9700K here is that it's about 50% more expensive than the i5 9600K and I'm not sure if it'd be worth buying it.
Moreover, I'm considering buying 1080ti or 2080ti in future and I don't want to change CPU again. Will the i5 9600K bottleneck 2080ti?

Thanks.

Solution
As the cost difference is so great, I would go the 9600K....The 9600K will provide a gaming experience near on the 9700K level and of course can be overclocked to push it further when required... In terms of the actual difference between the two, the difference is at most between 2 to 5% and with most games yet to use more than 6 cores with a couple of outliers, I would not worry as the performance is so close as in real terms you would hardly ever notice the difference.
As the cost difference is so great, I would go the 9600K....The 9600K will provide a gaming experience near on the 9700K level and of course can be overclocked to push it further when required... In terms of the actual difference between the two, the difference is at most between 2 to 5% and with most games yet to use more than 6 cores with a couple of outliers, I would not worry as the performance is so close as in real terms you would hardly ever notice the difference.

Solution

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

Thank you, Max, but I'm also worried if the 9600K could potentially bottleneck a better GPU, since I would like to upgrade in near future. Do you think it will bottleneck 2080TI for example?

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

Thank you. I will most probably go with the 9600K, I need to buy a mobo as well.

No problems at all. Might be worth taking a look at the Gigabyte Z390 boards as everything from the Elite upwards has a great VRM setup 12+1 and has been highly rated by the reviewers which is a change for Gigabyte but this might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LQacSdJt7c

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

I will stick with Gigabyte for sure. I was thinking about GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X ->

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145094&Description=GIGABYTE%20Z390%20GAMING%20X&cm_re=GIGABYTE_Z390_GAMING_X-_-13-145-094-_-Product

Yep even the Gigabyte Gaming X has a very good setup for VRM's...

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

Price to performance is best for me and will do just fine with OCing I believe. Thank you.

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

If I decide to go for the i7 9700K, what temperatures will I get with the Cooler Master TX3 EVO? It does wonders for me at the moment. I won't be overclocking the 9700K. On the i5 6600K, I'm getting really good temps 55-68 when gaming, on 4.4GHZ and 1.32V.

You need a much better cooler for the 9700k. The TX3 is a very low end cooler, and while it might be okay on a 4 core chip, it absolutely will not keep up with an 8 core CPU that is clocked much higher than the 6600k is at stock. For a 9700k you'd probably need something like a Cryorig H7 at minimum just for stock speed, and if you want to overclock, you're probably going to have to look at high end dual tower coolers eg. Noctua NH-D15, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, Cryorig R1, etc.

If you blanket will NOT be overclocking and running it purely at stock, it will be okay as it will not go over the 95w TDP... If you decide to run it with something like MCE (multi core enhancement) enabled, the motherboard will automatically run it with a overclock and move it to a higher power and there a better CPU cooler will be required. The suggestions mentioned by Supernova1138 are all valid...

The big problem with that is most boards do not run the 9th gen CPUs within that 95 Watt TDP by default and screw around with the TurboBoost durations to increase performance leading to higher heat output and temperatures. Unless you specifically power throttle the 9700k to 95 Watts and allow its all core clockspeed to drop down to about 4.2GHz, a TX3 probably isn't going to keep up with the heat output and lead to thermal throttling.

I do agree as to a better CPU cooler especially as the 9700K is a expensive CPU that will provide a hell of a lot of performance and should really have some decent cooling. If you are going to spend on the 9700K, spend a bit more on the cooling setup as well...It will be worth it in the long run as you just wont be able to help yourself at some point to run it with MCE enabled at least as that is just so easy...Just one setting from of to auto or enabled and that is it...and you have a free performance boost with no real negatives but heat!!!

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

I agree with you, guys, but the tower cooler will be hard to mount on my current setup :( I'm with a high profile Corsair Led Kits, and the tower blower will block it.
What other coolers do you recommend without breaking the other bank, because obviously, I will brake this one, If I go with the i7 9700k :D

If you can find a decent 240mm AIO on sale due to Black Friday, then they are more than worth a look as they will do a very good job keeping things cool and in check and they allow for a clean build and look...I have been using AIO's since the start and now just find them much easier to use and build with and I do not have any clearance issues or chunks of heavy metal hanging of the CPU.....Not to say a good Air cooler like the Noctua's, be quiet Dark Rock Pro, Cryrorig's etc wont do a great job...they will and as good as AIO's....just some thoughts and more choices...

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

What do you think about the NZXT x52 / x62? They're approximately on the same price here, so I think I can go with the x62.

Both are very good with the X62 being just a bit better with a 280mm radiator...make sure it fits in your case...

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

It will fit, I'm using the NZXT 360 Elite case. It will look amazing. Thank you very much, guys for the expert answers.

No problems at all and have a great build...

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

Hi again, Max,

Just wanted to ask you about the MCE. Since this will be the first time I'll be having board with this option - Is it any good leaving it on auto / enabled? I've read that the voltage goes higher than the chip needs in some cases?

MCE is basically an automatic overclock. The big drawback to it is it does indeed usually pump in way too much voltage to ensure stability and that can lead to high temperatures. As such, you often are better off doing a manual overclock instead. For example, if I turn MCE on with my 8700k system, I get 4.7GHz on all cores, but my Vcore spikes up to 1.38V. I was able to get 4.9GHz all core stable at only 1.31V and get more performance and cooler temperatures. MCE is usually safe to use so long as you have good cooling, but a manual overclock is typically better from a thermal and longevity standpoint as you can get the same or better results for less voltage.

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

Haha, pretty big difference 1.38 to 1.31... And 1.31 is really good, nice. Are those voltages from CPU-Z or from the BIOS?