[SOLVED] i7 9700k overclocking

xterminatormi6

Prominent
Feb 8, 2019
I have the intel i7 9700k at base clock speed of 3.6Mhz, and i just tried overclocking it. All i did was manually set its voltage from 1.2v to 1.3v in BIOs, and now in my software it states that it runs at 4.6Mhz. Did i do it? is overclocking this simple? There were a whole bunch of other voltage settings related to the CPU but i didnt touch them, only one called CPU Vcore. Did i do it right? Pls someone call me out for being a failure or reassure me THX^^

Solution
In a way, all you did was to potentially add to the temperatures during heavy load.

In theory, if the cooling is insufficient, the CPU would then thermal throttle which means lowering clock speeds to lower the CPU temperature. So in a worst case scenario you are not exactly adding performance by raising the vcore and doing nothing else. I'm over exaggerating of course, but that is all you would gain from what you are doing - keep raising the Vcore, all you'll run into is overheating issues and stability issues.

What you are seing is the standard turbo boost of the CPU, it has nothing to do with raising the Vcore by 0.1 volt

I suggest you read all you can about overclocking, before you continue to mess with BIOS settings...

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I have the intel i7 9700k at base clock speed of 3.6Mhz, and i just tried overclocking it. All i did was manually set its voltage from 1.2v to 1.3v in BIOs, and now in my software it states that it runs at 4.6Mhz. Did i do it? No you didn't overclock. There's more to it than raising voltage.

In a way, all you did was to potentially add to the temperatures during heavy load.

In theory, if the cooling is insufficient, the CPU would then thermal throttle which means lowering clock speeds to lower the CPU temperature. So in a worst case scenario you are not exactly adding performance by raising the vcore and doing nothing else. I'm over exaggerating of course, but that is all you would gain from what you are doing - keep raising the Vcore, all you'll run into is overheating issues and stability issues.

What you are seing is the standard turbo boost of the CPU, it has nothing to do with raising the Vcore by 0.1 volt

I suggest you read all you can about overclocking, before you continue to mess with BIOS settings, if you don't have a general idea of what you are doing.
Luckily modern CPUs shut down if they are being run too far outside specs with incorrect settings, but you can just as easily hurt performance rather than gain performance, if you don't do it rigtht.

Last edited:
Solution