[SOLVED] i7-9700k with an old stock i5-4460 cooler

bp1696

Honorable
Oct 27, 2016
Hi, so I just did a full upgrade on my processor+motherboard+ram. The new processor is an i7-9700k. A very knowledgable friend helped me put it together, but he didn't realize I hadn't bought a new CPU fan. All I have is the old stock fan my i5-4460 came with, and the i7 doesn't come with one.

Anyway, he said we'd try it out and be careful. I opened Monster Hunter World and maxed it at ultra settings, 1080p, no frame rate limit. It ran (along with an RTX 2070) at a consistent 90fps. Then, it shut down. I started the PC back up, started Monster Hunter, the PC shut down again after 5 minutes.

I'm assuming this is the fan's problem? Either way, I ordered a Hyper 212 EVO fan, as I'm only planning on running stock speeds. Will that be sufficient? I'm trying not to run up my price too much more here. Thanks.

Solution
You cant, if it aint an copper base of your old cpu cooler its pratically limited at 60-80W~ (not quite sure about this) for aluminiun.
I would suggest you not to use it and wait.
You may do things worser if you try to "fix" working stuff.

By fan you mean cooler or spinny thingy?
I dont think an evo is a good buy, there is a reason why cryorig h7 is called evo killer.

bp1696

Honorable
Oct 27, 2016
That's probably the least helpful reply I've ever seen on this website. I wasn't planning on playing with that cooler for more than the 5 minutes test I did. I'm just making sure that it's the most likely problem and not something else, so I can look into some other fixes before the new cooler arrives. Also asking about the Hyper 212 cooler. That is all. If you thought I was actually trying to game full time with a stock i5-4460 cooler on an i7-9700k, then all you did was read the title of this thread and not the actual post within.

You cant, if it aint an copper base of your old cpu cooler its pratically limited at 60-80W~ (not quite sure about this) for aluminiun.
I would suggest you not to use it and wait.
You may do things worser if you try to "fix" working stuff.

By fan you mean cooler or spinny thingy?
I dont think an evo is a good buy, there is a reason why cryorig h7 is called evo killer.

Solution