Feb 16, 2019
Hello Experts,

I've recently bought an 9700k.
My problem is that my computer during gaming sometime freezes [4 times in 14day]. My keyboard leds turn off every other led / fan are working during freezes. Only hard reset can actually work.

Temps are
  1. CPU peak: 72c
  2. VRM peak: 65c
  3. GPU peak: 73c
Spec is

1. Mobo: Gigabyte z370p D3 (F11 bios version [newest] for support 9th gen intels)
  2. CPU: i7 9700k
  3. CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
  4. RAM: 2x4GB 2400mhz DDR4
  5. GPU: Gigabyte 1080 Gaming
  6. PSU: FSP 500W
I know my psu is not the best, but since my PC is not reseting or turning off i dont think thats a PSU problem, or is it?
What else could be a problem?

Best regards.

Since temps seem ok, the KB lights dimming/going off would imply MB might be 'browning out' ....; although the MB itself could be failing, I'd certainly try another known good quality PSU of sufficient wattage first. (you might disconnect unneeded USB headers, and superfluous RGB connections, non-essential internal drives, etc., just to rule out an intermittent high power drain causing this brownout)(And please, no mention of the PSU testing 'good' under no load whatsoever with a useless $8 PSU tester) :) (As decent 600 watt units start at only $50-$55, that's where i'd start, given a GTX1080 GPU)

Reactions: Iereasi
Feb 16, 2019
Update,

I've bought a Seasonic Focus Gold 750w PSU and the problem is still exist :-/
Is there a chance that my motherboard cant handle the new CPU?

p.s.: in hwinfo i have
IA: Max Turbo Limit and IA: Turbo Attenuation (MCT) "flag"

Feb 16, 2019
The MB is a budget model so it's not helping, the VRMS might be struggling.

Check the CPU VCORE, make sure it's not over 1.35V.

VRM's temperature never reached 65+ while gaming.
During prime95 stress vrms were 110+ (and cpu was 80-85)

When CPU VCORE was on auto select, it reached sometimes 1.47x (my friend said its freakin big so i changed to 1.2v)
Every option in bios voltage settings are on auto except cpu vcore that is manually 1.2v.

VRM's temperature never reached 65+ while gaming.
During prime95 stress vrms were 110+ (and cpu was 80-85)

When CPU VCORE was on auto select, it reached sometimes 1.47x (my friend said its freakin big so i changed to 1.2v)
Every option in bios voltage settings are on auto except cpu vcore that is manually 1.2v.

I would set it to 1.3V and see if that helps stability.

The VRM temps are on the high side.…. Like I said it's a budget MB.

The VRM's are not great and neither is the cooling.

Does Gigabyte use/enable any sort of MCE equivalent similar to Asus and MSI? This would raise CPU power drawn from ATX12V significantly from 90-110 watts to closer to 130-150 watts, so, I'd disable it if applicable.... which would cap the all core turbo down to factory-like intent, with an all core turbo at 4.4-4.5 GHz or so...(vice the 4.9 GHz all core turbo action that everyone wants, wishing these speeds were still available within a 95 watt TDP envelope...which they are not.)