Question i7 9800k or i9 9900k?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adyboi

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Hello Folks,

I am currently in the process of upgrading my pc and need a little advice for my next upgrade. My current spec at the moment is:

CPU: i7 4770k @4.2GHZ
GFX: GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 144HZ
SSD: Samsung Evo 2x 120gb
Mobo: ASRock Z97 Anniversary Edition
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 650W Gold

Since i recently bought my 1080, my old CPU is now currently bottle necking, so i feel its time to purchase a new one. My question is, would i be better off upgrading to the i7 9800k or should i spend the extra £80-100 more to get the i9 9900k since i am under the impression that neither of these CPU's should bottle neck my system. I am also potentially looking to stream in the future so i am not sure which of the 2 processors would be the best.

Second question would be, if deciding on either processor, could someone kindly reccommend a good mobo as i am unsure which is the best to purchase.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Any reccommendation on whether an i7 or i9 is best? For mobo i will look up what is currently the best bang for my buck currently.

Also thanks for your help throughout the thread.

I agree with @captaincharisma what he's advised

Regarding motherboards, go for a z390 from Asus, Gigabyte or MSI. Have a look around for reviews on a quality boards, expensive or budget.

Reactions: artk2219

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On CSGO I get 300fps on ultra, in the non competitive maps like office etc. On an i7-3770K /gtx970. The problem with the competitive maps is most of them are not stock. They were built by competitive users and adopted by CSGO due to popularity and demand. So you'll see a sizable difference in performance in Sand vs Sand II.

Cpu sets the fps limit. It pre-renders the game code before shipping the frame to the gpu. It'll only do that so many times per second. Your cpu is in no way bottlenecking your gpu. Being a 2 thread only game, the game code only makes allowances for 2 threads, not 3 or more, so the cpu is gonna give you its maximum amount of frames it can on those 2 threads.

Upgrading to a newer platform/cpu isn't going to magically set the 1080 free, you'll get a few more fps due to increased clock speeds and better IPC, but that's it. You'll need to decide if dropping @ $600-$700 is worth the handful of fps gains that you don't see anyways, since 200fps is well beyond even the fastest refresh monitors and human beings cannot physically tell the difference between 150fps and 200fps or more.

If you want to drop that kind of cash, I'd suggest a 1440p/144Hz and actually put the gpu to work, because at 1080p there's very little that'll even make a 1080 break out in a sweat, nevermind actually work hard.

My daughter plays Ring of Elysium on that same pc with no issues at all, so if anything I'd be more inclined to believe it's a chipset driver/windows conflict as that's extremely common on nvidia gpus ever since Windows 10CE was instituted.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In windows, disable Xbox DVR, the game bar Helper thing. Those 2 alone do not like csgo in the slightest, or many other games. They are more of a pain in the *** than anything.

In nvidia control panel, change pre-rendered frames from default (3) to 1.

Go to motherboard website/support/downloads and get every last published chipset driver. That includes audio, Lan, USB family etc. Those are specific to your board and windows can use some of the same type of drivers, but they are generic, so you'll lose performance sometimes in a big way, especially on Lan and pcie and USB.

If you've never updated your bios, now would be a good time for that.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello Folks,

I am currently in the process of upgrading my pc and need a little advice for my next upgrade. My current spec at the moment is:

Since i recently bought my 1080, my old CPU is now currently bottle necking, so i feel its time to purchase a new one. My question is, would i be better off upgrading to the i7 9800k or should i spend the extra £80-100 more to get the i9 9900k since i am under the impression that neither of these CPU's should bottle neck my system. I am also potentially looking to stream in the future so i am not sure which of the 2 processors would be the best.

Second question would be, if deciding on either processor, could someone kindly reccommend a good mobo as i am unsure which is the best to purchase.

Since you mentioned streaming I'd go with the 9900k. The 9700k isn't hyperthreaded which is a substantial hit when you're streaming games. Depending on what games/what resolution you decide to stream at, you can get away with a 9700k. I tried playing modern games and streaming with the 9600k. It was awful. Jitters galore. the 9700k is substantially stronger but only 2 more cores and no virtual. So if you are dead set on streaming, I'd opt for the 9900k just because I know I'd be safe and you will be able to bump encoding settings up for a better quality stream.

If you're not going to stream, 9700k will be more than enough.

This is all provided you are dead set on sticking with Intel. The new AMD cpus will be great for gaming/streaming. I believe there's a cpu thrown into the release that supposedly outperforms the 9900k for 500.00

Not rude at all, i can see your point. The point i was making is that with my current spec, i assumed that i would get more than 200fps since my i7 4770k is running at 4.2GHZ, being paired with a 1080 GFX card. The question i posed was wether or not i should upgrade my current spec to the latest i7 or i9 to get maximum usage out of card since i felt that my current rig is bottle necking. Its not just with CSGO but other games where i am seeing very low FPS despite my settings being on low, i used ROE as an example where i am only getting 60-70fps and its not the smoothest experience.

I see. In that case I agree with captaincharisma. Probably the i7-9700k is a decent upgrade. If you can wait a week, I suggest waiting for the new AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors. If you upgrade, you're gonna need to upgrade processors, RAM, and motherboard anyways, so waiting for the new AMD stuff will be good for more options (maybe cheaper for similar performance too).

artk2219

Distinguished
Any reccommendation on whether an i7 or i9 is best? For mobo i will look up what is currently the best bang for my buck currently.

Also thanks for your help throughout the thread.

Honestly neither of those two right now. I would wait until next week if youre looking at an upgrade, Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) is launching, and they may very well be the fastest chips around, period. At the very least you may see price cuts from Intel in the near future, so I would take a good month or so to plan and see how things shake out before upgrading.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If I had to upgrade, it wouldn't be Intel. I'd not want to settle for 2nd best and cut rate cpu, even as good as it performs in many applications, the 9700k just doesn't compare to the power of the 9900k. For most consumer apps, not even the HEDT cpus compare all around.
On the flip side, the 9900k is a beast. Count on a 250w max thermal output, before any OC, if you push all 16 threads. Requires the top line Z390, not budget Z390 VRM's can handle the power requirements. And don't even think of anything less than a Noctua NH-D15, better a 280mm/360mm aio and preferably full custom loops. There's absolutely no halfway effort in a 9900k, it's all or nothing, break out the platinum card, cus you'll need a 850w quality psu as well.

Too rich for my tastes when a Ryzen will do the same thing for half the price. Ppl begged for years for a worthy successor to the miserable excuse that was FX, well here it is.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Hello Folks,

If you got a new CPU, you would have to get a new mobo and probably RAM. DDR4 RAM is the standard nowadays for gaming. 16GB @3000mhz is the sweet spot for gaming. You could even get an 8700k and a z390 motherboard + DDR4 RAM for a decent price. What is your budget?

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
If I had to upgrade, it wouldn't be Intel. I'd not want to settle for 2nd best and cut rate cpu, even as good as it performs in many applications, the 9700k just doesn't compare to the power of the 9900k. For most consumer apps, not even the HEDT cpus compare all around.
On the flip side, the 9900k is a beast. Count on a 250w max thermal output, before any OC, if you push all 16 threads. Requires the top line Z390, not budget Z390 VRM's can handle the power requirements. And don't even think of anything less than a Noctua NH-D15, better a 280mm/360mm aio and preferably full custom loops. There's absolutely no halfway effort in a 9900k, it's all or nothing, break out the platinum card, cus you'll need a 850w quality psu as well.

Too rich for my tastes when a Ryzen will do the same thing for half the price. Ppl begged for years for a worthy successor to the miserable excuse that was FX, well here it is.

The 8700k with a mid range Z390 board would do well wouldn't it? He can get a mobo, RAM and CPU for $950nzd

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
New, the 8700k is $350, the Ryzen 3600 will be $199. That's a $150 difference that'd get the mobo or ram included. Brand new Ryzen for $500 (comes with a good cpu cooler too) or a 2 year old Intel for $650 and then spend more for a good cpu cooler, $60+.

For the less than 10% on average fps gain over 2nd Gen Ryzens, and the fact that Zen2 will top the 8700k in performance, I just can't see Intel as worth it, unless you get lucky on ebay.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
New, the 8700k is $350, the Ryzen 3600 will be $199. That's a $150 difference that'd get the mobo or ram included. Brand new Ryzen for $500 (comes with a good cpu cooler too) or a 2 year old Intel for $650 and then spend more for a good cpu cooler, $60+.

For the less than 10% on average fps gain over 2nd Gen Ryzens, and the fact that Zen2 will top the 8700k in performance, I just can't see Intel as worth it, unless you get lucky on ebay.

That is a fair point but I think he said somewhere that he would prefer Intel otherwise I would have recommended waiting for AMD's new 3000 series

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Big word that.. Prefer.

I'm not an AMD fanboi, in fact both my pc's are Intel, and I've been perfectly happy with them for over 6 years now (3rd Gen Ivy-Bridge) but I have a stronger preference for Value. With 98% of the pc population using 60/120/144Hz monitors, if amd gets 270 and Intel beats that by its 10% and pulls 300fps, who cares really. Those are benchmark only numbers and absolutely meaningless anywhere else. You'll never see that fps, you can't physically tell the difference with anything beyond 150ish, the majority of the world has issues telling 100Hz from 144Hz.

So why pay over $200 more for a last gen, outdated, outmoded cpu that cannot be upgraded at all, vrs a cpu that's just as good, (Zen2 will top the 8700k performance) if not better.

Brand loyalty? Intel can't touch AMD for Value, it's that simple.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Big word that.. Prefer.

I'm not an AMD fanboi, in fact both my pc's are Intel, and I've been perfectly happy with them for over 6 years now (3rd Gen Ivy-Bridge) but I have a stronger preference for Value. With 98% of the pc population using 60/120/144Hz monitors, if amd gets 270 and Intel beats that by its 10% and pulls 300fps, who cares really. Those are benchmark only numbers and absolutely meaningless anywhere else. You'll never see that fps, you can't physically tell the difference with anything beyond 150ish, the majority of the world has issues telling 100Hz from 144Hz.

So why pay over $200 more for a last gen, outdated, outmoded cpu that cannot be upgraded at all, vrs a cpu that's just as good, (Zen2 will top the 8700k performance) if not better.

Brand loyalty? Intel can't touch AMD for Value, it's that simple.

That is a fair point. He may as well go with AMD. Nothing wrong with them. Only thing Intel has better is OC'ing but I don't think he will OC. Ryzen 3000 is coming out soon and he could probably get a Ryzen 5 3600 for cheaper than the 8700k, meaning cheaper overall. AMD has really outdone themselves here