[SOLVED] i7-i7700 upgrade ?

May 21, 2020
I have a i7- 7700 but I need to replace my MB, I have been looking at ryzen 5 3600 or the 3300x but Im unsure if I should just buy a replacement board or would it be better just to upgrade to a newer cpu?

Solution
I dont mind intel or amd I want the best performance and the least possible cost lol
Absolutely!

What are your other specs and monitor resolution/refresh rate? If you have money burning a hole in your pocket perhaps a GPU upgrade would be more beneficial?

For AMD I'd go Ryzen 3600 (or better), a B450 (or B550) board and 2x8gb at 3600mhz (Performance is greatly affected by memory speeds with AMD Ryzen).

For Intel I'd go 10th gen but it may be more expensive.

WildCard999

Titan
Going from the 7700 to the 3300X seems like more of a sidegrade then upgrade. If the 7700 suits your needs then grab a budget B250 board which should work fine as long as you have a decent CPU cooler.

PCPartPicker Part List
Motherboard: Biostar TB250-BTC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($59.80 @ Amazon)
Total: $59.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 14:48 EDT-0400

What is wrong with your current board?

May 21, 2020
Yea I know, What Im saying is Would I be better off buying a new board for my 7700 or go the ryzen route, because a new ryzen board and cpu wouldnt be to much more than a decent board for the 7700

WildCard999

Titan
I dont mind intel or amd I want the best performance and the least possible cost lol
Absolutely!

What are your other specs and monitor resolution/refresh rate? If you have money burning a hole in your pocket perhaps a GPU upgrade would be more beneficial?

For AMD I'd go Ryzen 3600 (or better), a B450 (or B550) board and 2x8gb at 3600mhz (Performance is greatly affected by memory speeds with AMD Ryzen).

For Intel I'd go 10th gen but it may be more expensive.

Solution
May 21, 2020
Its not burning a hole lol I have a p rebuilt Asus and Im pretty sure the board is starting to short out it randomly wont turn on sometimes it may be hours or weeks but it will eventually come back on no repair needed, Ive tried everything once it wont come back on including stripping everything off and trying to get it back after all my diagnoses I believe the board is the culprit and the board is poorly designed anyway allowing for only single fan cards

WildCard999

Titan
Yeah it can be difficult to upgrade those prebuilts as you typically need to upgrade the PSU & Case and in this case probably the Motherboard but the PSU is a must if you intend on getting a better GPU. The big issue now though is PSU pricing is quite high more then likely due to COVID so even "budget" Corsair grey label CX's are going for like $100 USD which is almost double there lower price.

May 21, 2020
in all fairness tho when my system does work it does what I need it too other than that its just when it comes to spending money I feel like maybe I should buy something a little newer as Im investing more money you know ?

WildCard999

Titan
It comes down to what you can spend.

If it were me I'd go with that B250 board & new case for now. Then upgrade the PSU when pricing is a bit better then upgrade the GPU although that depends on what you have currently. This would be far cheaper then getting a new CPU, MB & possibly memory but also upgrading the case as aftermarket boards may not fit well in a prebuilt (maybe).

Reactions: Mostly Goatly
May 21, 2020
It comes down to what you can spend.

If it were me I'd go with that B250 board & new case for now. Then upgrade the PSU when pricing is a bit better then upgrade the GPU although that depends on what you have currently. This would be far cheaper then getting a new CPU, MB & possibly memory but also upgrading the case as aftermarket boards may not fit well in a prebuilt (maybe)M

May 21, 2020
I wouldn’t need memory I have 3600 ddr4 corsair vengeance and a gtx1050 single fan 2 gb lol was going to upgrade the video card and its single fan only and those tend to be more expensive and less available

Most 7700K CPUs still command prices exceeding the cost of a new mainboard, CPU, and, worse yet, one now needs a new $50-$90 cooler for it as well..

Get the R5-3600 and a quality B450 board (choose a board that does not need a CPU for BIOS flashing, just in case)...

WildCard999

Titan
Most 7700K CPUs still command prices exceeding the cost of a new mainboard, CPU, and, worse yet, one now needs a new $50-$90 cooler for it as well..
OP already has a 7700, it just appears the motherboard is faulty. Replacing the MB for $60 is far cheaper then a newer CPU & MB although it does come down to budget but with the 7700 paired with a GTX 1050 my first priority would be the PSU & GPU.