I7 temps

CompuTronix

Intel Master
texan1962,

Intel's Thermal Specifcation for the Core i7 variants is 68c, which is Tcase Max, and is shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.asp

68c Tcase Max is CPU temperature, NOT Core temperature. The thermal relationship between CPU temperature and Core temperature is 5c, which is shown in the following Intel paper - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf

Since Core temperature is 5c higher than CPU Temperature, you shouldn't exceed 73c Core temperature, regardless of the fact that maximum Core temperature (Tjunction Max) is 100c.

Tjunction Max 100c is shutdown temperature, which is already far too hot, so any Core temperatures higher than 73c should be considered overtemp.

Comp :sol:

Huttfuzz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
So with your i7 920 @ 4.1, 1.36 vcore, and a Xiggy 964, how overtemp are your cores at full load Prime 95 Small FFT?

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
damn nice temps! I GOT MINE TO 3.6 ghz and i idle at 45c with max temps at 75c with teh v8 heatsink, tell me your secret man!! waht do you do to keep her cool?, my vcore is only at 1.268. i ordered the lapping kit and some different thermal greese to see if that will help me any, i really hope it does :pfff:

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
i tried that, but when i check system properties it only shows that i have 2.7ghz?? so what would be the point of the overclock? or does it still function the same?

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
so your sayin change out my heatsink fans? to fix the issue. also im getting the readings off core temps with real temp monitoring not speedfan temps

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
the black sniper case, its pretty big, on off the bigger ones compared to the rest, with pretty good ventilation, except it stands under my desk,

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
thanks for the headsup compu i didnt know that, :fou: so your running with it off? to get those temps? it dont really slow the computer down?

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Thats your problem. :)

Add two blowing in on the door and one on the bottom of the case.

i think it is too , cause when i crank the fans up my temps stay the same :ouch: so you are saying get some fans that blow from the side door on the mobo, and one that blows from teh bottom of the case up?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The only time I enable HT is for Flight Simulator X. It's the most CPU intensive title you can run, and requires massive amounts of multi-threaded-overclocked horsepower, which is where it derives it's frame rate.

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
oh ok, thanks to both of you i got some homework to do lol, does hyper thread dissable four off the cores? becasue when i tried running prime95 with hyperthread off, it only showed 4 cores instead of 8.

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
ahh thanks, i usually just play call of duty online andsome other smaller games. so im guessing they wont need all of the 3.6ghz

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Turning HT off will have a negligible effect in terms of reduced performance, unless you're running a game or application which is coded for multiple threads. However, clock per clock, due to the 10% Vcore increase required to maintain stability when HT is turned on, HT increases CPU temperature and Core temperatures by a whopping 33%.

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
ohhh thanks for the education compu, i will go turn her OFF :D and thanks to physco for his quick help as well. this forum rocks!