[SOLVED] i9-10850 Spiking

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Hi all

New build PC and have noticed the spiking temps when idle from 30-35 to 50 degrees. Literally nothing else really running as fresh install of windows. Fans ramp up for 2-3 seconds and then drop down....happening every minute at least.

CPU - i9-10850
Motherboard - MSI Z490 Carbon Wifi
Memory - Corsair 32gb 3200mhz RGB
GPU - Gigabyte 1660 Super 6gb
PSU - HX1000
Cooler - Corsair H100 v2

I found the cooler a struggle to get on correctly, so I had to take it off and pop it back on again without reapplying thermal paste....literally had done that a few seconds earlier......could it really be this???

Solution
65C gaming temps would be remarkably reasonable...

But clock speed should only jump to/sit at 4800 MHz on all cores under some sort of constant healthy load...barring setting a fixed multiplier instead of auto. etc., disabling Speed Step, and or Performance mode instead of Balanced Power plan...; at the desktop, you should see assorted cores as low as 800-1000 MHz or so, and the sustained high clock speeds only under a load. Opening an app like even Notepad or task manager may spike a couple of cores for a second or two.

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Hi all

New build PC and have noticed the spiking temps when idle from 30-35 to 50 degrees. Literally nothing else really running as fresh install of windows. Fans ramp up for 2-3 seconds and then drop down....happening every minute at least.

CPU - i910850
Motherboard - MSI Z490 Carbon Wifi
Memory - Corsair 32gb 3200mhz RGB
GPU - Gigabyte 1660 Super 6gb
PSU - HX1000
Cooler - Corsair H100 v2

I found the cooler a struggle to get on correctly, so I had to take off and pop back on again without reapplying thermal paste....literally had done it a few seconds earlier......could it really be this???

Re-applied AIO cooler and thermal paste, still spikes and fans kick in when doing nothing. Temps still between 35-50 idle.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hi all

I agree with the above poster but do want to point out I haven't seen these spikes on my new 10900k build. Mine idles in the 20-25C range and the spikes I see are 2-5C... I haven't seen anything beyond that with minimal tasks going. The entire time I've been on these forums this morning I've been in the 25-30C range.

Ambient temps are low in the PNW... you must be in Florida or something.

Reactions: Tenpinsmick
With cloud storage syncs, WIndows updates, etc., it is not uncommon to see 1/4 second bursts in clock speeds from 1000-1200 MHz up to 2200- 3400 MHz, with accompanying spikes in temp that last just as long, assuming you are in Balanced Power mode...; temps will rise in lockstep with those clock speed increases.

You can observe this normal behavior with HWMonitor...

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
HWMonitor is saying my clock speed for all cores is 4800mhz, bouncing around frequently. Bios says 3.6ghz....I have not over clocked yet. Any idea? If HWMonitor is correct then it would explain fairly high idle temps.
During gaming on max settings CPU has yet to go above 65 degrees, GPU 56 degrees.

But clock speed should only jump to/sit at 4800 MHz on all cores under some sort of constant healthy load...barring setting a fixed multiplier instead of auto. etc., disabling Speed Step, and or Performance mode instead of Balanced Power plan...; at the desktop, you should see assorted cores as low as 800-1000 MHz or so, and the sustained high clock speeds only under a load. Opening an app like even Notepad or task manager may spike a couple of cores for a second or two.

Solution

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
I agree with the above poster but do want to point out I haven't seen these spikes on my new 10900k build. Mine idles in the 20-25C range and the spikes I see are 2-5C... I haven't seen anything beyond that with minimal tasks going. The entire time I've been on these forums this morning I've been in the 25-30C range.

Ambient temps are low in the PNW... you must be in Florida or something.

Not sure whether it was linked or not but Windows was not activated and I believe something was going on in the background which was causing CPU usage to go between 0-12% causing the spike. In addition turbo boost wast enable in BIOS and frequency was 4800mhz in HWMonitor.

Even with Turbo boost on I am now idling around 30 and without about 27.
Thanks

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013

Turbo boost enabled in BIOS, turned off as don’t need it currently. Not sat comfortably around 27 degrees.