Question I9 10850K Extremely high temps in Cinebench and Blender. Need help!

addisonross33

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Hi guys,

Kinda stressed out here. I built a new computer with an I9 10850K and am using a Noctua NH D15 to cool it. The idle temps are pretty fine IMO, at around 35c - 40c. But when using Blender for rendering or running Cinebench, the temps go REALLY high pretty fast. Highest I have seen it go is about 95c, generally goes around 88c or so though I would say.

I have checked the thermal paste and the contact of the cooler on the cpu and those are definitely not problems.

What I think are the relevant specs are:
- i9 10850k
-RTX 3070
-MSI Z490-A PRO
- 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM @ 3200MHZ
-Noctua NH D15

Temps and voltages from HWMonitor:
https://ibb.co/7CJ4c1m
If anyone could help me figure this out, I would be EXTREMELY grateful, as I made this PC for rendering and 3d purposes + gaming, and currently feel wary about doing the former .

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)I don't know what chassis this is all in; I want to be sure you're not choking the cooler.

2)Monitor the cpu's clock speeds while idle on the desktop and under load in CB R23. Hwinfo is your friend - throw hwmonitor out a window or something.
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ (click the green download button)
-Up to 5.2ghz on 1-2 cores in light loads
-Up to 4.8ghz across all cores in heavy loads
^That's what it should be doing normally.

3)IF you have Dragon Center installed, please uninstall it.
If you need to control LEDs, then Mystic Light can be installed by itself: https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download (3rd one from the top)

4)If you have Windows High/Ultimate Performance power plans enabled, please restore back to Balanced.

addisonross33

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
1)I don't know what chassis this is all in; I want to be sure you're not choking the cooler.

2)Monitor the cpu's clock speeds while idle on the desktop and under load in CB R23. Hwinfo is your friend - throw hwmonitor out a window or something.
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ (click the green download button)
-Up to 5.2ghz on 1-2 cores in light loads
-Up to 4.8ghz across all cores in heavy loads
^That's what it should be doing normally.

3)IF you have Dragon Center installed, please uninstall it.
If you need to control LEDs, then Mystic Light can be installed by itself: https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download (3rd one from the top)

4)If you have Windows High/Ultimate Performance power plans enabled, please restore back to Balanced.
My bad! My case is a Deepcool Macube 310p

Also, it seems no matter what i'm doing, all the cores are at 4.9ghz? Even right now they are at 4.9ghz at idle, doing nothing. And no Dragon Centre installed and balanced power setting is already one :) (EDIT: Clock speeds are still at 4.9ghz for all cores while in Cinebench)

addisonross33

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Ok, how do you have your fans set up?

That's not normal. 4.8ghz is. I would understand if Thermal Velocity Boost was doing it, but that's only active up to 70C...
Are all the drivers updated - chipset, lan, audio, sata?
Okay so admittedly I forgot to install the new bios, but I just did that and while it seems to have solved the 4.9ghz thing (It's currently doing cinebench at 4.8ghz now on all cores) the temps haven't changed. Everything else is up to date though.

Here's my fan set up:

https://ibb.co/5WzFXRV

Where the power supply is in the image is the BOTTOM of the PC case. Also, I have changed the orientation of the heatsink/fans SINCE taking that image so that they are blowing out the back. Currently, there is a fan at the back (right behind one of the noctua heatsink fans now) which is an exhaust fan, two fans for exhaust up the top of the case, and two intake fans at the front of the case.

Your case is not one of the best for cooling, but it can work.

The two top exhaust fans are going to divert the airflow away from the cpu cooler, and out the top.
Experiment with disabling them.

What are your front intake fans? At the expense of noise, you could replace them with higher rpm versions. Noctua make good 140mm units up to 3000 rpm.

The processor will monitor it's temperature and will slow down or shut off to prevent damage if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c which you have never reached.

Running in the 80's seems like normal.
If you want better, you could have the processor professionally delidded for about $50.
It voids any warranty, but it will reduce heat.
I would not bother.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Conclusion: Chassis probably restricts airflow a bit too much.
I suggest removing the top and front panels and testing again.

Also, your 2 top exhaust fans only really benefit the gpu. The 'folded' sides of the NH-D15's heatsink reduce the effectiveness of fans placed above them. Noctua did this to promote more uniform front to back airflow.
It's a pick your poison thing. You can leave them there and enjoy lower gpu thermals, or remove them and enjoy lower cpu thermals.

addisonross33

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Conclusion: Chassis probably restricts airflow a bit too much.
I suggest removing the top and front panels and testing again.

Also, your 2 top exhaust fans only really benefit the gpu. The 'folded' sides of the NH-D15's heatsink reduce the effectiveness of fans placed above them. Noctua did this to promote more uniform front to back airflow.
It's a pick your poison thing. You can leave them there and enjoy lower gpu thermals, or remove them and enjoy lower cpu thermals.
Okay, so I removed the two front fans and replaced them with the exhaust fans (since i think they are better, higher rpm) and took the front panel off, and during cinebench testing for 10 mins it didn't increase by more than 84c. Blender also didn't increase by more than 82c. These temps should be acceptable for this processor, right? :D

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, so I removed the two front fans and replaced them with the exhaust fans (since i think they are better, higher rpm) and took the front panel off, and during cinebench testing for 10 mins it didn't increase by more than 84c. Blender also didn't increase by more than 82c. These temps should be acceptable for this processor, right? :D
Yes.
Compared to the 95 and 88C you reported before, that's a significant improvement. It looks like that chassis is choking things up.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Yes.
Compared to the 95 and 88C you reported before, that's a significant improvement. It looks like that chassis is choking things up.

Yeah.... I'd agree. The problems the OP experienced is exactly why I went with an airflow case and 360mm AIO for this line of oven rated processors.

addisonross33

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Yes.
So the highest it got up to today in cinebench was 87c and that was in a relatively warm room at about 28c ambient temp. Just wondering, if I were to render something that took several hours or perhaps overnight, would a temp of 87c be sustainable for this processor? Just worried about damaging it or something to be honest. Also, sorry for bombarding you with questions and thank you for being so helpful to me!

D

Deleted member 2838871

So the highest it got up to today in cinebench was 87c and that was in a relatively warm room at about 28c ambient temp. Just wondering, if I were to render something that took several hours or perhaps overnight, would a temp of 87c be sustainable for this processor? Just worried about damaging it or something to be honest. Also, sorry for bombarding you with questions and thank you for being so helpful to me!

Everything I read in my research said above 85C sustained temps isn't a good idea... with 90+ being a lot worse. That being said... I capped my OC at 5.2ghz all core on my 10900k because 80-85C all core is the temps I was getting during stress testing.

To each their own... some people love to push it.... I choose not to.

Oh yeah.. .28C ambient? That's 83F... wow. I don't know how people stand those temps indoors. I keep mine 17-20C for both my comfort and the comfort of my PC.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It bounces up and down a little bit, by around 5C on any given core I would say
That's better than it sitting there, but most would frown at the 87C...
It's close enough to 85C that I'd consider it a toss up?

You could set a lower throttle limit if it helps you sleep at night? I mean, even though the default is 100C, there's no reason to let it get that high.
I've been running with a 90C limit for a few years now.

OH IM DUMB! I totally forgot about something really easy you can do:
Windows Search > Edit power plan > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.
Experiment with 95-98%. Don't go lower than 95% though.
This tends to work well without gimping performance.

You should check your new bios to see if it sticks to intel's guidelines, if it runs all core enhancement or has tau set to infinite time it's basically overclocking.

If you are worried you can use IXTU to create a profile for cine/blender that runs 1-2 hundred Mhz lower and/or decrease vcore if the bios settings have that cranked up.

addisonross33

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
That's better than it sitting there, but most would frown at the 87C...
It's close enough to 85C that I'd consider it a toss up?

You could set a lower throttle limit if it helps you sleep at night? I mean, even though the default is 100C, there's no reason to let it get that high.
I've been running with a 90C limit for a few years now.

OH IM DUMB! I totally forgot about something really easy you can do:
Windows Search > Edit power plan > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.
Experiment with 95-98%. Don't go lower than 95% though.
This tends to work well without gimping performance.

So just ran cinebench again for 10 mins after changing the fan curve in bios and the highest it went to now is 81c, with most cores being around 77c! I tried to do the 'edit power plan' thing, but even by changing to 99%, the speed of the processor decreased to about 3.4ghz all the way from 4.8ghz (The temps WERE much more desirable though :ROFLMAO:)

Everything I read in my research said above 85C sustained temps isn't a good idea... with 90+ being a lot worse. That being said... I capped my OC at 5.2ghz all core on my 10900k because 80-85C all core is the temps I was getting during stress testing.

To each their own... some people love to push it.... I choose not to.

Oh yeah.. .28C ambient? That's 83F... wow. I don't know how people stand those temps indoors. I keep mine 17-20C for both my comfort and the comfort of my PC.
Hahaha, that's australia for you!

You should check your new bios to see if it sticks to intel's guidelines, if it runs all core enhancement or has tau set to infinite time it's basically overclocking.

If you are worried you can use IXTU to create a profile for cine/blender that runs 1-2 hundred Mhz lower and/or decrease vcore if the bios settings have that cranked up.
I disabled all core enchancement but didn't check tau time or anything. Honestly don't know how touching the voltages effect anything and I didn't wanna stuff it up, so I just left them as they were due to my lack of understanding lol

The best test for your setup is to use YOUR apps.
Synthetic apps are designed with various objectives in mind. Perhaps to generate the max heat like Intel burn test to stress your cooling system. But, none will exactly represent what you are doing.
Run your apps and monitor.
The key metric to monitor for cpu longevity will be voltage.
Higher voltages drive higher temperatures.
It is not the temperature so much that matters but the voltage.
I think the number is 1.325v as a max.

Also realize that you will not be stressing the processor 24/7 unless, perhaps you are using a folding app or such.

addisonross33

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Fiddlesticks. That usually works... did I forget something?
The best test for your setup is to use YOUR apps.
Synthetic apps are designed with various objectives in mind. Perhaps to generate the max heat like Intel burn test to stress your cooling system. But, none will exactly represent what you are doing.
Run your apps and monitor.
The key metric to monitor for cpu longevity will be voltage.
Higher voltages drive higher temperatures.
It is not the temperature so much that matters but the voltage.
I think the number is 1.325v as a max.

Also realize that you will not be stressing the processor 24/7 unless, perhaps you are using a folding app or such.

Duh... forgot it's summertime down under. :)

Unsure if any of these settings seem off. Also included an image of voltage and cpu speeds at idle.
It seems like it was jumping all the way from 800mzh to 5ghz while just on the desktop.

https://ibb.co/hXkFJSM

(ALSO just an FYI thank you everyone who has given me assistance or advice thus far!!)