[SOLVED] i9 10900f throttled to 800mhz overnight

Jan 5, 2023
Hello everyone!

I'll try to be as concise as possible with everything:

SPECS:
CPU: Intel i9 10900f @ 2.8GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte Z590UD AC

ISSUE:
Woke up today and noticed the PC was very sluggish (Processor stuck at 800MHz).
So I:

1. Opened task manager and noticed my processor was stuck at .79GHz, even under load (checked with games & CPU-Z stress test).
  2. Downloaded ThrottleStop, realized I don't really know what I'm doing, and found red "EDP OTHER" banners under CORE and RING on ThrottleStop's Limits tab.

I'm honestly not great with these programs and am unsure as to how to proceed. I would greatly appreciate any guidance that might point me in the right direction.
I have attached below screenshots of my HWMonitor page, CPU-Z, as well as some screenshots from ThrottleStop. I hope these are enough to begin diagnosing the issue.

RMJJ1a.png

RMJQpe.png
RMJd0x.png

RMJs2c.png
RMJ4eZ.png

RMJO7i.png
RMJSm2.png
RMJHFo.png

Thank you for taking the time to look all of this over!

Jan 5, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Motherboard BIOS version at this moment of time? How are you cooling that processor?

Hello!

My BIOS version is F3 (3.3) and I am cooling the processor with a 'Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 200W' and have 3 intake and 1 exhaust fan in the chassis itself.

I don't know if there might be an issue with the sensors but since building the PC a few months ago I haven't had any issues with it until today. I have regularly checked temps while under load and have not noticed anything alarming so this is really strange!

Jan 5, 2023
Jan 5, 2023
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-UD-AC-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
You have BIOS updates pending. See if gradually working your way up, averts the issue. As for another matter, does the speed of the processor stay the same as in the OS, in BIOS?

Hey, so I thought I'd update the situation as it has changed though I have no clue how.

I downloaded a Gigabyte BIOS utility as I don't have a cd-drive nor do I currently have any thumb drives, the app was titled '@ bios'. After downloading it, I was unsure as to how to have it boot the updated files so I (maybe erroneously) clicked the only .exe in the install folder (Flashbios.exe). My system reset to a windows boot error, I restarted once more and now my CPU is performing as normal again.

I'm completely unsure as to what happened as I've tried restarting, shutting down and all of that numerous times in the last few hours to no avail!

I'm completely unsure as to what happened
Your ThrottleStop screenshots help explain what was happening.

When ThrottleStop Limit Reasons reports EDP OTHER throttling in red, that is typically caused by a current limit that has been set too low. The BIOS version you were using might have had a random bug. Most manufacturers fix issues like this with BIOS updates.

When you open the FIVR window it shows that IccMax is set to the minimum which is only 1.00 Amps. That is not enough for anything. The CPU is forced to EDP OTHER throttle down to a crawl as it tries to get the current down to 1.00 Amps. That is not possible so it cannot increase its speed beyond the minimum, 800 MHz.

r4j0x4B.png

On my 10850K, I set IccMax for the core and the cache to the max, 255.75. This prevents any EDP OTHER throttling.

If you ever have this problem again, now you know what to look for.

If you are interested in improving performance, I would either use ThrottleStop or go into the BIOS and set the turbo power limits to 150W to 200W depending on how good your cooling is. The default 65W power limit can significantly reduce the performance of a 10900 CPU.

An unlocked and overclocked 10900K can easily use 300W during Cinebench when running at maximum speed. The regular 10900 cannot be overclocked. It can probably use close to 200W if your cooling is good and you allow it to.

300W for PL1 and PL2 helps my 10850K maintain full speed when fully loaded.

gntYQCd.png

Intel built all of these CPUs from the same initial hardware. They are all the same until Intel sets the default turbo power limits and decides whether the CPU multiplier should be locked or left unlocked. Increasing the PL1 power limit beyond 65W is not going to hurt anything. A 65W power limit is like putting a 65 mph limiter on a Corvette. I am sure the marketing department was happy. It allowed them to boast that they had a magic low power CPU. 10 cores and only 65W of power consumption. Amazing but not really.

Reactions: grayfox1-1
Jan 5, 2023
Your ThrottleStop screenshots help explain what was happening.

When ThrottleStop Limit Reasons reports EDP OTHER throttling in red, that is typically caused by a current limit that has been set too low. The BIOS version you were using might have had a random bug. Most manufacturers fix issues like this with BIOS updates.

When you open the FIVR window it shows that IccMax is set to the minimum which is only 1.00 Amps. That is not enough for anything. The CPU is forced to EDP OTHER throttle down to a crawl as it tries to get the current down to 1.00 Amps. That is not possible so it cannot increase its speed beyond the minimum, 800 MHz.

r4j0x4B.png

On my 10850K, I set IccMax for the core and the cache to the max, 255.75. This prevents any EDP OTHER throttling.

If you ever have this problem again, now you know what to look for.

If you are interested in improving performance, I would either use ThrottleStop or go into the BIOS and set the turbo power limits to 150W to 200W depending on how good your cooling is. The default 65W power limit can significantly reduce the performance of a 10900 CPU.

An unlocked and overclocked 10900K can easily use 300W during Cinebench when running at maximum speed. The regular 10900 cannot be overclocked. It can probably use close to 200W if your cooling is good and you allow it to.

300W for PL1 and PL2 helps my 10850K maintain full speed when fully loaded.

gntYQCd.png

Intel built all of these CPUs from the same initial hardware. They are all the same until Intel sets the default turbo power limits and decides whether the CPU multiplier should be locked or left unlocked. Increasing the PL1 power limit beyond 65W is not going to hurt anything. A 65W power limit is like putting a 65 mph limiter on a Corvette. I am sure the marketing department was happy. It allowed them to boast that they had a magic low power CPU. 10 cores and only 65W of power consumption. Amazing but not really.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out this informative response and pointing out the issue itself, it's nice knowing what to look for in the future.
Also, thanks for the additional knowledge it is much appreciated!

I am confused as to how the values might have changed in the first place but as you said, it might have been a bug :)