Question i9-11900K - really bad bench scores

Jul 25, 2024
Hey guys,

today I replaced my 10400f with 11900K with Peerless Assassin 120 SE.

My clocks are fine, temps are kinda fine (50c idle, max 85 under stress), but I score awful results in every benchmarks.

Cinebench 23 - 12xxx (internet says should be somewhere between 16 - 17k), all apps closed, higher priority, CPU-Z something similar.

Tried to google a lot, tried a lot of BIOS settings, overvolt, undervolt, Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool passed everything ok. Am I missing something?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You need more robust cooling to start, and REALLY good power delivery for an 11900K. I would suggest an AIO and if your motherboard doesn't have HEFTY VRM it probably is not up to the task.

According to what you actually use this PC for, the 11600K is a very close competitor for most tasks such as gaming. The 11700K might be borderline. The 11900K is just an i7 that binned well for this particular generation.

Something you might be able to check in BIOS is whether it is doing the unlimited 200+ watt power delivery, or has it locked at the "125/150" (I honestly can't recall which it is). Even in my own case I have a Z590 Unify with astoundingly good power delivery and a 240 AIO and I have to lock the power at the lower setting because of the heat it puts off.

edit- it also should go without saying that you need a case with great airflow.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you give me a bit, I will post the CPU-Z bench numbers for my own rig just as a point of reference.

EDIT- Single 664/Multi 6615

I didn't turn anything off that would normally start with the PC so normal background level with nothing else open, and only waited a minute or two to run it. Most likely a bit better if I waited a little longer and certainly so if I closed every single thing I could.

My idle temps are ~30C in a 75F office, and on load never goes out of the low 60's.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2024
You need more robust cooling to start, and REALLY good power delivery for an 11900K. I would suggest an AIO and if your motherboard doesn't have HEFTY VRM it probably is not up to the task.

According to what you actually use this PC for, the 11600K is a very close competitor for most tasks such as gaming. The 11700K might be borderline. The 11900K is just an i7 that binned well for this particular generation.

Something you might be able to check in BIOS is whether it is doing the unlimited 200+ watt power delivery, or has it locked at the "125/150" (I honestly can't recall which it is). Even in my own case I have a Z590 Unify with astoundingly good power delivery and a 240 AIO and I have to lock the power at the lower setting because of the heat it puts off.

edit- it also should go without saying that you need a case with great airflow.

Yeah, the MB is kinda shit, but added intel 11th gen support few years ago via Bios flash.

I googled a lot before purchase and a lot of people in forums said this cooler is perfectly fine for this CPU :(.

I have locked PL1 to 125 and PL2 to 251 W, that's what I have found should be optimal.

PSU - Seasonic Focus 850W Platinum.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't mean power supply, I mean the power delivery on the board itself has to be good. Try locking the whole thing down to the 125V setting and see if temps and performance don't come in line for you. That power supply you have is a nice one. Should allow all the overhead you need alongside a motherboard that can handle it.

On this one I have not found any scenario where any manner of overclock is actually worth it from a stability level. In the summertime here in the office I cannot run it unlocked anyway. In the winter when it gets good and cold I can unlock it and the PC works really well as a space heater. I do see some incremental performance increases doing so but is very dependent on how cool the house is.

Did you purchase this as new old stock, or did you buy it second hand?

Could be helpful to list your complete system spec.

Jul 25, 2024
I don't mean power supply, I mean the power delivery on the board itself has to be good. Try locking the whole thing down to the 125V setting and see if temps and performance don't come in line for you. That power supply you have is a nice one. Should allow all the overhead you need alongside a motherboard that can handle it.

On this one I have not found any scenario where any manner of overclock is actually worth it from a stability level. In the summertime here in the office I cannot run it unlocked anyway. In the winter when it gets good and cold I can unlock it and the PC works really well as a space heater. I do see some incremental performance increases doing so but is very dependent on how cool the house is.

Did you purchase this as new old stock, or did you buy it second hand?

Could be helpful to list your complete system spec.
You mean set PL1 and PL2 to 125W?

I think you are rererring to thermal throttling, i thought it's not gonna happen till over 90c.

I don't wanna OC obviously, but it's far from performance I expected. I did buy it from some guy, but he told me it was new out of the box (and I would swear it's like brand new).

My specs:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will have to dig around in my BIOS to see exactly what and how those correspond to your settings. The one aspect I think is hurting is that the i9's Thermal Velocity Boost Temperature is 70C according to ark. I can only imagine that with the high idle temp that you are hitting that limit and the CPU isn't boosting as well as could be possible.

I am going to go check my PL2 and see where this mobo has it. I tried to play with OC and such with this, but aside from a "sort of" XMP, I haven't changed anything. To explain that last aspect is that I have CL14 DDR4 3000. If I try to set the actual 3000 rather than 2933 it wants to do a base clock OC which causes me insane instability. Anyway, let me go look and see what I can find on PL2 setting. Back shortly.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ok, so it appears that I have PL1 set to the 125W setting. However, it also appears that since I have selected "water cooler" that the power limit for PL1 and PL2 basically doesn't exist. It claims 4000 something W which we know for sure isn't happening. It would seem that your post has also exposed me (to myself) how little I know how each of these settings influence one another.