[SOLVED] i9 14900k only using 1 core? HwInfo & HwMonitor specs

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
As the title says.. Recently picked up a i9 14900k for new on sale. Playing around with the beefy chip, I noticed games such as Fortnite and Cyberpunk 2077. Only 1 P-core is being used at about 60%. While every other P-core & E-core sit at 0.5% or 0%. All clocks are normal, temps are 60C and lower. with a 350 PL1 & PL2 Limit. Is this just the power of the i9 14900k? or is there something else going on such as power saving features?

Here are some specs

i9 14900k (Triple Rad Cooler) (Stock Settings besides Power limit lift)
7900 XTX
1440p monitors
ASUS TUF Gaming D4 WIFI
Trident Z 32gb 3200 (DDR5 swap eventually)
850 EVGA Gold SuperNova F-Modular

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Are you sure you have not disabled any Performance cores from the BIOS? Check it anyways in the BIOS and see if any cores are disabled.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...s-games-and/m-p/1534692/highlight/true#M66030
Also, please see this thread from intel community ^
All cores are active and working properly. XMP is enabled, multicore enchance is disabled and power limits are increased. Whenever I hit the CPU with stress testing or Cinebench R23, all cores spring into action and hit 100%. But like before, playing some games, it's using 1 P-Core. But still getting 100-165 fps, so im not exactly experiencing and performance drawbacks. I will take a look at the document you provided. But this so far isnt much an issue, just seems like I can load multiple games, record, stream and sh* probably do my college work all at the same time when only 1 core is being used for games, LOL. Let me know your thoughts if this is exactly normal behavior. I will mention that If I record and stream a game at the same time. You can see every other core start doing something but they still reach maybe 1-5% usage while 1 P-core is 60%. Sometimes seen it get off-loaded to a E-Core and that will sit at 60%, while P-Core takes a small piss break lmao

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
since performance isn't seemed to be compromised, i think its doing that because of its single core performance is better or something like that (?) Correct me if I'm wrong, but i read somewhere in reddit that it does this because it has a better single core performance, so it goes with what. and in the benchmark it uses all cores, cause of the multi core tests that are performed.

Also, i think its up to the game to utilize the cores, and it could chose to use just one (?)
and read from reddit again that games don't utilize all the cores, as doing so is not beneficiary for the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone..

Reactions: mrmaruniversal

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
since performance isn't seemed to be compromised, i think its doing that because of its single core performance is better or something like that (?) Correct me if I'm wrong, but i read somewhere in reddit that it does this because it has a better single core performance, so it goes with what. and in the benchmark it uses all cores, cause of the multi core tests that are performed.

Also, i think its up to the game to utilize the cores, and it could chose to use just one (?)
and read from reddit again that games don't utilize all the cores, as doing so is not beneficiary for the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone..
That's a good point, but yeah I'm not so sure. Might try a clean copy of windows 11 and see what happens. By chance remember the reddit postings?

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
I tried searching for them but didn't find it.
I saw them couple days ago I think when I was researching for another thread.
Dig some digging, turned out to be C-STATES. Having the option disabled allows all my cores to work in games (24 active cores). Giving me smoother FPS and about 5-20 more in some titles. It also allowed all of my monitoring software to read more correctly rather than 1-10% usage most of the time. Where as task manager says 100% usage (Utility Usage) not (CPU Usage) but really isn't.