[SOLVED] i9 9900k 90 Degrees celcius on prime95 with AIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason0709

Commendable
Mar 14, 2021
hi everyone,

I recently purchased a i9 9900k.

I'm trying to get a 5 Ghz overclock on this CPU and had no problems so far, the only thing i'm worried about a little is the temperatures.

When i run Small FFTs test on prime95 v26.6 my CPU temperature goes to 90 degrees straight away. Is this normal or should i be worried ?
The voltage during the test was 1.315 - 1.325v and 190W.

Settings:

CPU core ratio: 50 (All cores)
CPU ring ratio: 47
AVX Offset: Auto
Vcore voltage mode / voltage: Adaptive = 1.330v
LLC: Mode 4

PC Specs:

MSI MEG ACE Z390

i9 9900k

G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3200 (XMP Enabled)

Corsair CS750M

Kind Regards,

Jason

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm, that's on the low end of the scale. The ML240L is the 'lite' version, got the weakest pump, cheapest rad and fittings etc. Rgb means it supposed looks decent, but rgb fans do not perform as good as a plain fan, there's only so much room inside the motor housing and when a good chunk of it is taken up by the pcb and wiring the RGB needs, something has to give. Ever wonder exactly why Noctua has 0 plans to go rgb? It'd kill the brands look performance expectations.

So you'll pretty much expect temps that high, especially if you forgot to check the little boxs in the Prime95 setting to disable AVX, AVX 2 and/or AVX-512. The auto setting for AVX offset may not drop the OC frequency enough to satisfy your temp requirements, it's only...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Didn't say what's cooling it. A 9900k at 5GHz locked core OC can easily hit between 200-250w. That's about the limits of the largest aircoolers or a decent 240mm AIO, especially with the trickery motherboard vendors play with Intels recommended power limits. A 360mm AIO or full custom loop with a 400w+ capacity is recommended for the kind of work loads Prime95 dishes out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, that's on the low end of the scale. The ML240L is the 'lite' version, got the weakest pump, cheapest rad and fittings etc. Rgb means it supposed looks decent, but rgb fans do not perform as good as a plain fan, there's only so much room inside the motor housing and when a good chunk of it is taken up by the pcb and wiring the RGB needs, something has to give. Ever wonder exactly why Noctua has 0 plans to go rgb? It'd kill the brands look performance expectations.

So you'll pretty much expect temps that high, especially if you forgot to check the little boxs in the Prime95 setting to disable AVX, AVX 2 and/or AVX-512. The auto setting for AVX offset may not drop the OC frequency enough to satisfy your temp requirements, it's only going to drop the frequency enough to maintain cpu temps under tjmax.

Solution

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a 5 Ghz overclock on this CPU and had no problems so far, the only thing i'm worried about a little is the temperatures.

When i run Small FFTs test on prime95 v26.6 my CPU temperature goes to 90 degrees straight away. Is this normal or should i be worried ?

Settings:

PC Specs:

MSI MEG ACE Z390

i9 9900k

Corsair CS750M

Kind Regards,

Jason
I have the same processor and mobo, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, CPU Core Voltage Mode = Override, LLC = 4, CPU Core Voltage = 1.31, turn off AVX in Prime95. Temperature 90 degrees for 9900k with HT enabled in Prime95 is normal

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
hi everyone,

Settings:

PC Specs:

MSI MEG ACE Z390

i9 9900k

Corsair CS750M

Kind Regards,

Jason
I also want to add that I do not use XMP, but set the RAM frequency manually, also do not leave the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages in AUTO mode, in this mode the voltage is high and this additionally increases the CPU temperature

Jason0709

Commendable
Mar 14, 2021
I have the same processor and mobo, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, CPU Core Voltage Mode = Override, LLC = 4, CPU Core Voltage = 1.31, turn off AVX in Prime95. Temperature 90 degrees for 9900k with HT enabled in Prime95 is normal
Okay, thank you for letting me know. i ordered a 360mm AIO for my processor. I was planning to buy one anyway.

Reactions: Alex Storm

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Before you give up on your cooler...

My system ran fine at 5.0GHz, but when I ran AIDA64 and either hammered it w/ the FPU or went to a performance Report and then it gets to Ray-Tracing, machine would either crash or throttle. Neither of which is desirable :)

I backed off the OC and at 4.7GHz it was stable and did not throttle. I was thinking I needed to delid or get a more powerful cooler.

Then it hit me, check the H100i cooler settings. Sure enough, they were set to 'Quiet'. I set it to 'Extreme' and reran the FPU test and then the Benchmark at 5.0GHz. Sure enough, cooler is doing a much better job, where before it would way over 200°F, throttle and the mouse movement would stutter, now it just runs, max temps are 170°F ish.

Sitting next to it I can't hear a difference until the temps climb then the fans kick.

Moral of the story is to make sure your cooler settings are right.

Jason0709

Commendable
Mar 14, 2021
Before you give up on your cooler...

My system ran fine at 5.0GHz, but when I ran AIDA64 and either hammered it w/ the FPU or went to a performance Report and then it gets to Ray-Tracing, machine would either crash or throttle. Neither of which is desirable :)

I backed off the OC and at 4.7GHz it was stable and did not throttle. I was thinking I needed to delid or get a more powerful cooler.

Then it hit me, check the H100i cooler settings. Sure enough, they were set to 'Quiet'. I set it to 'Extreme' and reran the FPU test and then the Benchmark at 5.0GHz. Sure enough, cooler is doing a much better job, where before it would way over 200°F, throttle and the mouse movement would stutter, now it just runs, max temps are 170°F ish.

Sitting next to it I can't hear a difference until the temps climb then the fans kick.

Moral of the story is to make sure your cooler settings are right.

My cooler was on max during stress testing. I installed the new cooler yesterday and it runs alot better now. My cpu is stable at 1.315v and 5Ghz, max temps was around 80 degrees celcius.

Reactions: Karadjgne
Status
Not open for further replies.