Question i9-9900K Overclocking

darrenbrook01

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
I have a Core i9-9900K and would like to overclock this to 4.6GHz.

The motherboard as an Asus Prime Z390-A.

The memory is setup using XMP2.0 using the 2400MHz profile.

However, there seems to be a problem with the current overlock, as the AIDA64 FPU stress tests reports Hardware Error during testing.

I also experience blue screens with different error messages during different activities (playing GTA V, using Cubase 12 Pro).

I need help and guidance to try to adjust the overclock to get it stable. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

However, there seems to be a problem with the current overlock, as the AIDA64 FPU stress tests reports Hardware Error during testing.

I also experience blue screens with different error messages during different activities (playing GTA V, using Cubase 12 Pro).

I need help and guidance to try to adjust the overclock to get it stable. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Hey there,

You do realise that your CPU should be able to boost automatically to 4.7ghz all core? You don't need to overclock. You only need to let your CPU boost. This will depend on a few factors, mostly related to thermal headroom, voltage, temps etc.

List your full PC specs. Your ram is quite slow for a modern system.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019

1: What power supply you using and how old?
2: What CPU cooler you using and what are your temps?
3: If you're overclocking, why aren't you using faster ram? Say, DDR4 3200?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It is almost pointless to try and attempt an OC on the 9th gen + CPU. They come pretty well maximized right out of the box. Given how hot they run on stock settings, this also would demand a very strong cooling solution and case with exceptional air flow.

As to your RAM, Intel doesn't take the penalty that AMD CPU do for speed, however that CPU would like to see 2666.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor

darrenbrook01

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
The ram is Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M4A2400C14 (2400)

It's a 2019 system.

What would the bios settings be to get the 4.7GHz standard boost (the normal clock speed is 3.6GHz)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The defaults just go to the base clock speed of 3.6GHz

So, to say that it sets at 3.6 and isn't changing at all? You should see the CPU run up into it's boost on startup and then settle in to even really low speeds on idle.

What power plan are you using? Have you gone into the Windows power plan settings and changed parameters there?

You still have yet to mention what cooler, case, and PSU this system is using.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Rather than change the power plan, whi8ch can introduce something you just can't remember, just activate the default power plans:

Open powershell and type one of the following to reset the power plans:

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a
Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

See if it helps.

darrenbrook01

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
Ok, so Turbo mode had been turned off somehow. Back on now.

What should the settings be to achieve the 4.7GHz stock frequency/speed?

What I want to achieve is the 4.7GHz across all cores and for that not to drop under stress tests.

Current settings:

darrenbrook01

Reputable
Jan 7, 2019
Hey there,

You do realise that your CPU should be able to boost automatically to 4.7ghz all core? You don't need to overclock. You only need to let your CPU boost. This will depend on a few factors, mostly related to thermal headroom, voltage, temps etc.

List your full PC specs. Your ram is quite slow for a modern system.
What should the settings be?

That usually means your cooler is not good enough, needs cleaned and re-pasted or replaced.
Do you have cooling for the VRMs ? Small Heatsinks around processor. One above and another to left of processor socket.
They need airflow, many tower coolers have the fan mounted too high to blow on them.