[SOLVED] i9 9900k running too hot even on stock clock?

Solution
prime 95

i had a swiftech drive x3 360mm installed on it and still ran into issues with temps,
That could've been pump or installation issues - no telling really, without more details.

But really, those thermals you've posted with the Ninja 5 are FINE; they're not life-threatening to the cpu.
Ninja 5 is one of the best silent air coolers out there - just shelve it when it comes to overclocking.

Shivam541141

Prominent
Jun 27, 2019
i9 9900k is a CPU that generally gets too hot when any heavy task is performed on it. But please mention your full PC hardware list, like the PSU, motherboard, the cabinet you are using, and all other details.
Also, mention the thermal paste you are using. Was it pre-applied on the cooler? The thermal paste might get old and you need to replace it again.

Has this problem has started now or was this going on for so long?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What the-
@dracosvg
Those results are FINE. Trust me, they are FINE. Perfectly acceptable.

The Ninja 5 is a low noise first, cooling second kind of unit; those results are FINE.
Overclocking is obviously not in order for that cooler - that's not what it was designed for - but that result is FINE.

Last edited:
Got a 9900k cooled by a scythe ninja 5, hitting 80s after 1-2 runs of cine bench r15, hits 80 while gaming too. Outside temp 63f inside temp 70ish, i know for a fact, thermal paste spread is good. are these temps normal? or is my only savior going back to AIO and use the direct die cooling?
80 degrees is a pretty common setting for target temp, target temp means let the temps rise up to that so that the cooler doesn't makes your system noisy.
If you want to you can get into your bios and lower that target to 70 or whatever you want and you can set up your fan curve the way you want to, but you will have your cooler working hard=making noise more often than it needs to.

dracosvg

Prominent
Apr 12, 2019
prime 95
What the-
@dracosvg
Those results are FINE. Trust me, they are FINE. Perfectly acceptable.

The Ninja 5 is a low noise first, cooling second kind of unit; those results are FINE.
Overclocking is obviously not in order for that cooler - that's not what it was designed for - but that result is FINE.
i had a swiftech drive x3 360mm installed on it and still ran into issues with temps,

dracosvg

Prominent
Apr 12, 2019
i9 9900k is a CPU that generally gets too hot when any heavy task is performed on it. But please mention your full PC hardware list, like the PSU, motherboard, the cabinet you are using, and all other details.
Also, mention the thermal paste you are using. Was it pre-applied on the cooler? The thermal paste might get old and you need to replace it again.

Has this problem has started now or was this going on for so long?
Corsair cx750 and msi gaming plus z390, thermal paste is new and its some premium brand i cant remember which one it is., I got like 4 different paste's at home. i have also gotten pretty hot results when i had a swiftech 360mm aio installed

Corsair cx750 and msi gaming plus z390, thermal paste is new and its some premium brand i cant remember which one it is., I got like 4 different paste's at home. i have also gotten pretty hot results when i had a swiftech 360mm aio installed
@Phaaze88 is correct. The Ninja 5 uses slow fans to be more quiet than competing models resulting in higher temps with high end CPU's like yours. You may be able to improve its performance by installing better fans but that's only a guess on my part. IMO you made a less than ideal choice pairing the Ninja 5 with a 9900k. There's a review of the Ninja 5 right here at Tom's. Here's the conclusion that was reached.
Bottom Line
With all things considered, the Scythe Ninja 5 represents a decent air cooling option for most moderately-overclocked CPUs, but it does struggle with high-end desktop processors and big overclocks. Strangely enough, the same can be said about the Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P TUF as both units perform and are priced nearly the same.
Unfortunately, the 800 rpm fans limit the Ninja 5's cooling potential. If having a quiet system is a higher priority, then the the Scythe Ninja 5 is a solid choice. However, if you need top-notch cooling, you should go for a product with better airflow like the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, which is actually even quieter.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
prime 95

That could've been pump or installation issues - no telling really, without more details.

But really, those thermals you've posted with the Ninja 5 are FINE; they're not life-threatening to the cpu.
Ninja 5 is one of the best silent air coolers out there - just shelve it when it comes to overclocking.

Solution