Question i9 9900K wont downclock, stuck at 4.7GHz

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
hi guys, recently built a pc using an Aorus Master Z390 & a i9 9900K but for some reason the CPU wont ever downclock to anything below or higher than 4.7GHz

i've done everything, reset bios etc but it simply wont downclock

bios has been reset, no overclocks either, windows power plan is set to balanced and power saving does nothing, cpu still sits at 4.7GHz even in the bios and in safe mode

my friends PC which also has a Aorus motherboard and a ryzen chip, his sits at 4GHz constantly so there is a bios option somewhere that i haven't enabled/disabled that is causing this

Remeca

Reputable
My i7 non k behaves the same way. Full boost all the time at 3.9 unless it starts to throttle under full load around 85C then it goes down to base 3.4(only prime95 torture test has gotten it do do that.) I made a thread inquiring if that is how turbo boost is supposed to work, but it never got any replies.

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
i want to blame it on these Aorus motherboards since i have never had this issue on any other pc.

afaik turbo boost is only supposed to boost cores to a set frequency.. not hold it there 24/7

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
multicore enhancement is disabled as enabled or Auto makes the cpu lock to 5GHz on all cores at 1.4v
speed step is enabled
speed shift is enabled
all C-states options are all enabled

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
not used intel XTU

each core is locked at the same frequency...

even in the BIOS after a full reset, wipe and update it still sits a 4.7GHz like.... why

Oct 25, 2019
any fix ? have the same issue...
brand new i9 9900k stuck at 4.7ghz
I'm also having the same issue,
9900k, asus maximus xi code, bios all on default settings, power setting to balanced etc.
tried speedstep, c states, MCE, etc. nothing seems to make a difference.
Drops to 800mhz very briefly for a split second, but rarely.
It's always pinned at 4700mhz.