IBM Gets Cloud Computer Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Chicago (IL) - IBM, on the heels of an announcement earlier this week by HP, Intel and Yahoo to build a huge cloud computing playground for researchers, reached deeper into its pockets to invest in new cloud computing centers in the United States and Japan.

IBM Gets Cloud Computer Fever : Read more

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
As much as I hate to say it, with laptops becoming more powerful and less expensive, PC gaming not nearly as viable as it was years ago, and cloud computing just around the proverbial corner I think the days of the traditional desktop are coming to a close.

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I think the enthusiast community may have something to say if that indeed does become true. Laptops lack upgradeable parts and other features that make tinkering with PCs so much fun. I don't think the desktop will ever go away but they are definitely going to be hurting if this trend continues.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Really? You have to compare prices,I could literally get a 3/1 ratio for saving money..plus,when's the last time you saw a quad core laptop computer? Of course,both will recieve upgrades over time,but still,think about it in a logical way.Also,when's the last time your SLI laptop ran for over an hour?

miltoxbeyond

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Yup... they each have their own places... laptops will not replace desktops, because they essentially are more fixed platform...they will be eternally useful at work, and cloud computing doesn't necessarily mean it has to be done on a laptop... They don't move so no need to worry about laptops getting "lost" at work...but mobile computing will cater more powerfully to those who have no options but to take their work with them.

sirrell

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jaragon13[/nom]Really? You have to compare prices,I could literally get a 3/1 ratio for saving money..plus,when's the last time you saw a quad core laptop computer? Of course,both will recieve upgrades over time,but still,think about it in a logical way.Also,when's the last time your SLI laptop ran for over an hour?[/citation]
Yes have to agree, The latest and greatest tech still lies in the Humble PC Tower, While it may lack portability, It Boasts Performance, And Power, and Upgradability that can't be contained in portable models yet, maybe when we have nuclear baterries inside laptops they will perform better, and for longer.

And It still seems technology gets made big and bulky to start with (PC PARTS) then gets shunk and made into less power hungry parts to suit laptops, till this changes there not likely to out perform the home PC soon

Status
Not open for further replies.