IBM Has Done Amazing Stuff in the Last 100 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbulbsocket

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Bet those videos don't bother to mention how IBM helped the Nazis keep track of all those concentration camp victims. That one made my jaw drop in amazement.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lightbulbsocket[/nom]Bet those videos don't bother to mention how IBM helped the Nazis keep track of all those concentration camp victims. That one made my jaw drop in amazement.[/citation]
just because IBM developed the tech it does not mean that they are the bad guys...without this company we would not be able to do a lot of things...so stop your complaining

Sizomu

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]just because IBM developed the tech it does not mean that they are the bad guys...without this company we would not be able to do a lot of things...so stop your complaining[/citation]

So You want progress above human lives? and Its not IBM only who made this progress! And most of this progress has little to do with the health and Wealth of Humans!!! NOTE: Cure for Diseases is In Nature and IN Your BODY!! So Helping Mankind is not what IBM DID!!! Killing Millions in order to Create New Millions isn't much of improvement.

IBM has really been one amazing company. They may not be a household name but they're surely the driving force behind many of the innovations that we take for granted today.

fladder80

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
[citation][nom]lightbulbsocket[/nom]Bet those videos don't bother to mention how IBM helped the Nazis keep track of all those concentration camp victims. That one made my jaw drop in amazement.[/citation]
Yawn...
So, when are you going to condemn all the weapon and ammo manufacturers for killing those billions of people since the invention of the gun?

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

And, Siemens don't brag about the design work they did on the gas chambers either...

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]sizomu[/nom]So You want progress above human lives? and Its not IBM only who made this progress! And most of this progress has little to do with the health and Wealth of Humans!!! NOTE: Cure for Diseases is In Nature and IN Your BODY!! So Helping Mankind is not what IBM DID!!! Killing Millions in order to Create New Millions isn't much of improvement.[/citation]

I hope you're trolling.
Still, they did not need IBM to do what they did. The companies that projected and supplied the chambers on the other hand...

Also, prople die in the name of progress. Yes, that's unfortunate. But in the long run, don't we end up saving even more?
More people died in useless 'holy' wars than in (also useless) gas chambers. What does that tell you?

GBPackerNut

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
But yeah, IBM made some large leaps in technology here and there, but there is a bit of fluff in there also. Like how they like to make it sound like the SABRE project developed in the 60's is still running all of the bookings and such today. While yes SABRE is still around and responsible for most if the booking systems today, it is nothing like it was back then, and I guarantee you it isn't running on some ancient System/360's.

Not to steal any of their thunder, but I just cant see where IBM has been at the front of any major technology breakthrough in the last 10 to 20 years.
Intel, AMD, Motorola, Hitachi and others come to mind when I think about it.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]sizomu[/nom]So You want progress above human lives? and Its not IBM only who made this progress! And most of this progress has little to do with the health and Wealth of Humans!!! NOTE: Cure for Diseases is In Nature and IN Your BODY!! So Helping Mankind is not what IBM DID!!! Killing Millions in order to Create New Millions isn't much of improvement.[/citation]

As you sit there and type on an IBM Clone PC.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
A man takes a gun and shoots another man did the gun manufacture or the gun kill the man? A man takes a car and drives it into a crowd of people killing 20; did the car manufacture or the car kill those people? A man flies a plain into a building killing thousands did the manufacture or the plain kill those people? A dictator uses the technology of invented by man to kill other men did the technology kill or was it the individual evil in the hearts of the men that committed the act that did the killing. Those that want to blame the object and not the individual may have some of that evil within them.

avaksman

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Good one baddad ! The tech does not decide for us, its just there.
There are many devices out there which can do terrible harm, but its use only depends on man. When there were no guns men used rocks and sticks, will we blame nature then ? well we could , its better always to blame anything else then take responsibility.

elbarto1977

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
[citation][nom]GBPackerNut[/nom]But yeah, IBM made some large leaps in technology here and there, but there is a bit of fluff in there also. Like how they like to make it sound like the SABRE project developed in the 60's is still running all of the bookings and such today. While yes SABRE is still around and responsible for most if the booking systems today, it is nothing like it was back then, and I guarantee you it isn't running on some ancient System/360's.Not to steal any of their thunder, but I just cant see where IBM has been at the front of any major technology breakthrough in the last 10 to 20 years.Intel, AMD, Motorola, Hitachi and others come to mind when I think about it.[/citation]

IBM invented the hard drive. Without IBM there would be no Hitachi (Who bought IBM's hard drive factory when IBM sold it to focus on services and not products). The "byte" unit of digital information was invented by IBM. No byte, no Intel, Motorola or anybody else. The latest smartphone is not a technology breakthrough, true technology breakthroughs do not happen on TV... they happen on Almaden, Haifa or any other IBM Research Center. Quantum computing research is being funded by IBM by the BILLIONS of dollars and there are fully functional quantum computers already working on the labs... just to mention ONE true technology breakthrough from IBM of the last 20 years. Get your facts right.

Sizomu

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Everyone here is right, the fact remains. DEHOMAG (which later became IBM) was very active in the WWII. (some even show that Without DEHOMAG Allot would been stopt... LOGISTICS!!) the members then where never charged and never prosecuted. the wealth (made by Blood) continued. So its not the PC to blame, its a company that never paid for its crimes. the general public doesn't know. admitting is a step. but covering up is just weak. and if thats there basis... what are there actions we don't know about? But BIG CONGRATS to the Men and Women who the IBM we know today!

I don't believe IBM alone brought my PC! its a build up of situations that lead to the creation!. its a business thing, so if IBM did not do it.. then someone els. I rather have to wait 5-10 year to get a honest product than one with blood. but YEAH i Know WELCOME to EARTH! Nearly no product is Fair!

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
They also manufactured m1 carbines for the US war effort. I have been looking for a decently priced IBM carbine for quite some time, what a piece of history!

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Everyone here is right, the fact remains. DEHOMAG (which later became IBM) was very active in the WWII. (some even show that Without DEHOMAG Allot would been stopt... LOGISTICS!!) the members then where never charged and never prosecuted. the wealth (made by Blood) continued. So its not the PC to blame, its a company that never paid for its crimes. the general public doesn't know. admitting is a step. but covering up is just weak. and if thats there basis... what are there actions we don't know about? But BIG CONGRATS to the Men and Women who the IBM we know today!

I don't believe IBM alone brought my PC! its a build up of situations that lead to the creation!. its a business thing, so if IBM did not do it.. then someone els. I rather have to wait 5-10 year to get a honest product than one with blood. but YEAH i Know WELCOME to EARTH! Nearly no product is Fair!

I will tell you IBM was never involved in any kind of war crime, you've got proof show us. I know the history of the PC I worked for the company during that time and for 25 years and you don't.

userman

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
IBM holds more patents than any other U.S.-based technology company and has nine research laboratories worldwide.[9] Its employees have garnered five Nobel Prizes, four Turing Awards, nine National Medals of Technology, and five National Medals of Science.---Source Wikipedia
10 Jan 2011: IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that its inventors received a record 5,896 U.S. patents in 2010, marking the 18th consecutive year it has topped the list of the world’s most inventive companies. IBM became the first company to be granted as many as 5,000 U.S. patents in a single year.IBM’s 2010 patent total nearly quadrupled Hewlett-Packard’s and exceeded the combined issuance's of Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, Oracle, EMC, and Google.IBM's worldwide patent portfolio exceeds 40,000 active patents - Source: IBM

That says enough about who innovates even today....

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What do you say we focus on the technological accomplishments of IBM (and others) and not what companies did business in pre-WW II Germany. There is a long list of companies that would be on that list. The world has changed since then, as has those companies.

If you must, vote with your wallet and your conscience. But do your research, know what you are talking about, and then keep your feelings to yourself. A rant on a technical forum site isn't the place for a political discussion.

I, for one, applaud IBM for its MANY accomplishments in technology. Without them, we would likely not be exchanging ideas and information the way we do today.

Also, seems many here can't make a point without excessive profanity. Folks, it simply detracts from your point and makes us all look bad. Internet anonymity does not preclude civility and professional maturity.

Think before you type. 'Nuf said.

Status
Not open for further replies.