IBM Watson Hits Jeopardy to Destroy All Humans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Computers are more efficient and logical than humans and will eventually replace them in all occupations except that of politician - for that is the only job that requires a lack of logic.

[citation][nom]abottig[/nom]Tell Ray Kurzweil that.[/citation]

While they may be more 'intelligent' than the human brain, there is other (logics) that we are more capable of processing: such as emotions, right-wrong, inter/intrapersonal processing.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
If "it" is given hands, can it play Crysis, & when "Skynet" takes over, will Terminator be able to find a Human Technician to fix it when it has a BSOD?

distortion

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
Strictly speaking Toronto isn't wrong. There are at least 3 Torontos in the US in SD, IN, and KS. The question doesn't ask for a uniquely US city name.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

It doesn't need a technician to fix the BSODs because it doesn't run Windows.

funnyman06

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]It doesn't need a technician to fix the BSODs because it doesn't run Windows.[/citation]

What about a kernel panic?

f-14

Distinguished
posted 9:40 pm? are you kidding me marcus i read this around lunch time 11 hours ago on yahoo of all places. i was going to out scoop you guys, but i decided to go outside in this nice 52º weather and watch 4 feet of snow melt instead.
man i suer hope global warming isn't a myth! i will be living in the tropics very soon if it isn't!
i think i shall turn on every electrical appliance i have and burn some cardboard and tires and used motor oil!

MaxTesla

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
@f-14

Global warming does not mean that every day will be warmer than the last day, it means that the planet as a whole gets warmer over every 30 year period

But of course some years will be colder and some will be warmer but the average of the whole planet will be warmer

2010 did have some cold snaps here and there but the planet as whole was the warmest ever recorded

But if you want every day to be warmer than the last day to be sure of global warming then by the time that happens it will all be lost

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
hadn't heard of Ray Kurzweil ... i actually want to read his books now sounds interestng from the wiki page.

as for the "oh machines can't replace hmans" welll yes and no... i have the idea of the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy... if self aware the simplest machines would probably be the happiest much like humans, but we couldn't possibly even imagine what if anythign thier motivations woudl be.. so no use speculating till either a terminator or a very nice courtious robot butler shows up or somethign in between... who knows

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Watson also wasn't listening to Alex. It was being fed a question in form of letters. The contestants probably get that too, but more than likely, they listen to Alex speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.