IBM Watson Hits Jeopardy to Destroy All Humans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Objectivist

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
The "logic" of Watson is actually purely a testament to the HUMAN mind. While it is an amazing achievement that the machine has been able to surpass the Jeaporday champions, is only made possible by the unfettered adherance to the facts of reality by engineers and programmers. This is a confirmation that reason is man's key to survival, as everything he has achieved is a result of the process. Watson's success is as much a win for human beings and reason as a win by Jennings or Rutter would have been, if not moreso.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Humans are not as unique or complex as you might think they are. interactivity with the sense with analysis creates all that we are. so, robots and other electronic life form devices are sure to be exposed to this and modulate forming intricate emotion and persona.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Why do people assume Humans will always have something better then a Super intelligent machine? We won't. Once a Machine is intelligent enough to learn, it'll teach itself as very fast speeds. They will be able to replicate their own bodies and create more at super efficient speeds. Why? Because their "network" their "brain" isn't capped like ours is. Our brain is slow, it isn't made to process numbers as much as a machine, it takes many many people just to come up with great plans and ideas and takes weeks/months. Whereas a machine can run these processes millions at a time.

Love/Hate isn't needed, emotions aren't needed.. they actually slow processes down and they are only there because we needed them throughout our Evolution to survive as a species so of course they won't feel those emotions they're not needed!

They will have more logic, will think faster, and once they reach a specific level they will move faster... They're not slowed down by a biological machine that needs sleep/food, air, etc. That suffers from fatigue, stress, etc.

If machines become advanced enough THEY are the next step in evolution, we were just step 5, they are step 6.

This is reality, as much as our brain is god damn amazing, it isn't the best. Its far from the best.. it allows us to do what we want too, and that is it.

I for one am going to support our Robot overlords, if we're lucky they'll keep a record of their history and when they travel through space and eventually meet another race they'll share with them our history saying yes.. we were here.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The problem about all the talk about how "superior" machine are to the human mind is that it fails to take into account the fact the machines fundamentally are programmed to follow a preset sequence of commands. They cannot reason about right or wrong, they cannot invent new machines, they cannot make scientific discoveries, they cannot interact with other robots or human outside of programmed routines. All they do is follow a set of instructions that a programmer created, but they follow those instructions and make computations at amazing speed which is the area at which machines blow the human mind away.

Sure machines can do amazing things like how Watson won at jeopardy, but it is still just a machine following instructions in a program. It's not truly intelligent, just capable of executing code extremely fast. In order for a machine to be capable of being intelligent and being capable of truly learning (I'm talking about true machine learning, not programmed object recognition) a machine would have to run a program that simulates EVERY aspect of the human brain, which is a daunting task, if not impossible.

[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom] a machine would have to run a program that simulates EVERY aspect of the human brain, which is a daunting task, if not impossible.[/citation]

Sure it will. Moore's Law hasn't been repealed. In 10 years Watson's computing power will run on a desktop...so imagine the computing power of something Watson's size in that same period

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]The human brain is still, and always be, the greatest processor in the world.[/citation]

This statement is ignorant. Never say never. When the singularity event is started, no one today knows of what the outcome of that process will be, but more than likely the human brain will become inferior.

[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]While they may be more 'intelligent' than the human brain, there is other (logics) that we are more capable of processing: such as emotions, right-wrong, inter/intrapersonal processing.[/citation]

Actually, computers are far more 'moral' than humans are today. Humans are usually irrational and can change their 'morals' in a heartbeat. To say that humans are good 'moral' calculators is just absurd.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]The problem about all the talk about how "superior" machine are to the human mind is that it fails to take into account the fact the machines fundamentally are programmed to follow a preset sequence of commands. They cannot reason about right or wrong, they cannot invent new machines, they cannot make scientific discoveries, they cannot interact with other robots or human outside of programmed routines. All they do is follow a set of instructions that a programmer created, but they follow those instructions and make computations at amazing speed which is the area at which machines blow the human mind away.Sure machines can do amazing things like how Watson won at jeopardy, but it is still just a machine following instructions in a program. It's not truly intelligent, just capable of executing code extremely fast. In order for a machine to be capable of being intelligent and being capable of truly learning (I'm talking about true machine learning, not programmed object recognition) a machine would have to run a program that simulates EVERY aspect of the human brain, which is a daunting task, if not impossible.[/citation]

No, that is terrible thinking. What you're doing is looking at todays machines and assuming they will always operate in this manner for the rest of time itself. New algorithms will be made, new methods will be used, etc to make machines much more intelligent. There are already algorithms that let a computer "learn" how to walk/balance, and by doing this the machine (within weeks) was able to walk and balance nearly better than any other robot on the market, showing that teaching a robot is more efficient than hard coding it to walk in a specific manner.

Robotic technology has only 1 way to go, and that is up. Humans will push their intellect to the limit to see how real a robot AI can get. My old man is still stuck in the thinking that robots are always going to be limited to programming.. At the current time this is somewhat true, most are. This is because we are looking more for them to do specific tasks (walking/beating people on jeopardy).

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]MaxTesla[/nom]@f-14Global warming does not mean that every day will be warmer than the last day, it means that the planet as a whole gets warmer over every 30 year periodBut of course some years will be colder and some will be warmer but the average of the whole planet will be warmer2010 did have some cold snaps here and there but the planet as whole was the warmest ever recordedBut if you want every day to be warmer than the last day to be sure of global warming then by the time that happens it will all be lost[/citation]
i understand that part as every 30 years it has continuiously gotten warmer then the last since the last ice age ended, other wise we'd still be in an ice age, and there's been 3 ice ages that we know of. what i was getting at was when will this machine replace man with out having the same fallacies we do and that i was surprised toms even reported this after being outscooped by pretty much most of the media the afternoon 'Watson' won.
came back to scoop Toms again
GIGABYTE X58A-OC Introduces New OC Touch Feature: Pushes Core i7 990X CPU to a Record 7.1GHz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0X9LSLDM6E&feature=player_embedded

G

take away its internet access and format c: /y and see how it does after that..... heh. Here's another suggestion... have someone set off a pinch (EMC pulse) and see how the computer does then.... spill your water on it players and see if it can then keep up with you.... machines will never replace humans.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]The human brain is still, and always be, the greatest processor in the world.[/citation]

WRONG. Most efficient storage device, YES. Best software , YES. Best processor, NOT BY A LONG SHOT.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Computers fundamentally have to be programmed, either at the software level, or hardware level. You are right that there are "learning" algorithms, but those are just that: algorithms, meaning that they are created by a programmer and followed by a machine. All the machines we have were created by people and programmed by people, yes there will be some ability to "learn" but the only learning that is happening is what is directed by a program, written by a human. Humans do not follow a preset program, they have creativity and the ability to think outside of the box and invent new machines, we are sentient and self-aware, machines are not. Machines do not create other machines, unless directed to do so by a program written by a human, machines do not write programs to control other machines, unless directed by a program written by a human.

And those improved methods and algorithms you speak of, they must be made by humans, not machines. Until a machine can reason and invent new things on their own they will still be just that, machines, following human direction, on matter how "intelligent" they may be. I haven't heard of a machine making scientific discoveries or creating a new machine, not without following a human created program. Robotic technology will improve greatly, I agree with you on that point, but they will never approach self-awareness or the ability to invent. They will become more human like, being able to walk or predict future behavior based on past, the routines they follow will become more advanced, but they will always be just that, routines. They will never become self-aware, they will never gain consciousness, they will never become like us, they will remain machines.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

You're confusing processing power with the task of replicating the intricacies of the human mind. In time the processing power of the human mind will be achieved, it will take some time (for reference, only recently has a supercomputer been created that has the processing power of the part the brain that controls the most basic optical processing), but it will happen. The problem is creating a simulation of the human mind and all of it's complexity. We still have very little understanding of all the details of exactly how the brain works, much less being able to simulate it in full detail. Then there's the sticky problem of self-awareness and creativity and if the neuron networks can even simulate that.

Objectivist

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Robots are only a result of human creation and thought. There is no such thing as an "electronic life form". That contradicts the definition of life as self-sustaining and self-generating action. Robots are only the result of the instructions given to them in the form of software created by humans. Human minds are not "programmed". They instead obtain data from the senses provided by their body and formulate concepts. This is extremely different from the defined limits of software put into a robot BY humans.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Turn Watson into a search engine, unless it was just a "hoax", then I "guess" that Google has nothing to fear, but fear itself... ;-)

goonigoogoo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
First off hats off to the programmers. the super computer is about 25% of the whole machine. Algorithms upon algorithms, and even algorithms to decide the best algorithms to use were in Watson.

Second, Skynet - robots taking over the world will never happen. Here's why, these so called "end of days robots" are only as good as the software that's in them, and just look anywhere, every single piece of software in the world today has bugs.

Third, a fail safe will be put in to avoid just that, something the robot cannot learn because it's not in its database/vocabulary.

The worst we'll see in the future with robots is in the labor force, there will come a time where a robot will be able to do pretty much anything a human can do.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I liked it but I have a question anyone seen any Watson like software for desktops where in plain english you can talk with your computer request information and it will look it up, like in Star trek they ask the computer questions and it finds the answer, even if it only used the internet for look up it would still be cool and would bug my wife (a bonus :)

"walk in and say "Computer did I get any e-mail" computer responds "Yes you have 16 new messages shall I tell you who they are from" "Later computer please launch EQ2 while I eat dinner"

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]Computers fundamentally have to be programmed, either at the software level, or hardware level. You are right that there are "learning" algorithms, but those are just that: algorithms, meaning that they are created by a programmer and followed by a machine. All the machines we have were created by people and programmed by people, yes there will be some ability to "learn" but the only learning that is happening is what is directed by a program, written by a human. Humans do not follow a preset program, they have creativity and the ability to think outside of the box and invent new machines, we are sentient and self-aware, machines are not. Machines do not create other machines, unless directed to do so by a program written by a human, machines do not write programs to control other machines, unless directed by a program written by a human. And those improved methods and algorithms you speak of, they must be made by humans, not machines. Until a machine can reason and invent new things on their own they will still be just that, machines, following human direction, on matter how "intelligent" they may be. I haven't heard of a machine making scientific discoveries or creating a new machine, not without following a human created program. Robotic technology will improve greatly, I agree with you on that point, but they will never approach self-awareness or the ability to invent. They will become more human like, being able to walk or predict future behavior based on past, the routines they follow will become more advanced, but they will always be just that, routines. They will never become self-aware, they will never gain consciousness, they will never become like us, they will remain machines.[/citation]

I see where you're coming from, but what are humans? The Human brain is much like a machine. Every decision we make is based on input/knowledge/past experience. Just like a machine it would receive input and make a decision based on the input and its current intellect. We do the exact same. Our brain consist of 100 billion neurons and they're all working hard to come up with the best responses.

The reason robotic creations or AI cannot think for themselves is because they are no where as complex as the human mind. The neural network we have is EXTREMELY complex, as oppose to a few computer chips. Yes, its based off programming but eventually the programming made will be just like a Human baby. A set of code is inserted into the brain and then its released into the world to learn and build. We insert a program into a machine and set it off into the world to learn and grow.

Our brain is a pile of atoms, put in a specific pattern. In time i'm sure we can make a machine with the same basics as the human brain when it comes to a pile of atoms in a specific pattern.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Human Brain = 200 Billion neurons
Core i7 processor = 731 Million transistors
Cats = 300 Million neurons

Computers are still a ways off... but they have more "brain capacity" than your cat.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Certainly as humans our brains do function somewhat as computers in that we take in input and make decisions based on the input. However, humans also have flashes of intuition and the ability to think out of the box and exhibit creativity. The input-output model of human thought cannot account for that. There's also the issue of consciousness and self-awareness. All we can do is to approximate human behavior through complex routines, truly replicating the mechanisms of the human mind I feel is impossible because there is more to the human brain than a collection of neurons, and even replicating the functioning of the neural network of the human brain is incredibly difficult.

When you get to the question of "What are humans?" you have to start to deal with some deep philosophical issues that have been pondered for thousands of years. The line that our brain is a pile of atoms in a specific pattern has to do with the questions of "what is the meaning of life?" and "what makes life unique and distinct from inorganic matter?".

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
A very simple thing to say would be this:
Some of you say that computers will get more intelligent by time... but you forget that it can only get smarter as much as the borders the programmer intentionally has enforced upon it...
Sure thing, Algorithms will get better as time passes... But they will still need humans to make them better..
Indeed machines have better logics but they lack the ability to choose not to obey them... it's indeed what makes us so special... the fact that we can get get irrational, we can disobey the rules, and we can favor emotions over logic when it's necessary...
The human mind is indeed most fantastic... however it will get beaten by machines in some fields... someday.. but it will never lose completely to it...
Furthermore... we can identify things by more than just raw data... we have the ability to make assumptions that depend on things more than just comparisons...
We can try and learn from trials... it's never been only the human mind that does all that.. there's also the consciousness.. which is the reflection of our soul.. our decisions which vary from a person to another depends on how we came to existence way before we moved into our bodies... when we couldn't yet feel...

I can talk much more than that... and as an addition.. I say that I'm a teenager.. I'm not a scientist.. nor a philosopher.. but I know how I feel about my self and I just said what I thought about the matter... with no data other than this article and what I remember as ghosts of what I read a long time ago..

M.Nael

Objectivist

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

What you are failing to see is the METHOD that humans gain knowledge. A human gains knowledge by observing the facts of reality. This is only made possible by their 5 senses, which are provided by their body but "made sense of" by their mind. The end result is concept formation. The process we use to form concepts is logic, or the non-contradictory identification of facts. This conversion of sensory data into conceptual facts, or knowledge, is called reason. Machines do not reason. They do not have senses. They simply execute the instuctions that a human has imputted into their aftificial memory. They have no ability to obtain more data than their programmer's limited instructions have allowed them. A human's mind is free to think independant of someone else's permission or instruction. Even if a human is chained and prevented from taking action, their mind is still capable of functioning to the extent of the sensory data around them provides. No one can FORCE you not to think, so long as you are alive and your brain is physically functioning. A machine is at the mercy of it's creator and programmer.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
This is all quite the speculative thread. You guys really believe in sci-fi, even to your own detriment. Sci-fi is made because its all false from the start with 1% truth so you can "relate", otherwise why would you read it?

Anyway, in all sensibility we are still growing as a whole and the ceiling is really high and with that being a reality our human relativity will turn into something amazing. But that's called metaphysics.

"Upgrade your gray matter, cause one day it may matter." -Del

Status
Not open for further replies.