IBM: Within 5 Years, You Will Touch Through Your Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
holographic phone calls
I guess i should stop calling that phone sex hotline then. Seeing an old dude with frilly undergarments impersonating hot Spanish model projected through my phone kinda kill the mood right away.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I don't see any practical application for computers to have a sense of smell and taste in the next 5 years. What would the the point? This "Touch through your phone" looks interesting... but honestly it seems far fetched to me to have that in 5 years as well.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Touch: You will be able to touch through your phone
At first thought: What? Like air phone or something? Then I watched the video... and it sucks. Buy a dress online. Feel the texture through your phone bla bla. Pffft. If you haven't touched most of the materials used in dresses, you're probably living in a cave.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Touch/Smell through a device is a good idea in limited applications. Some here obviously rarely shop for non-mechanical devices, or lack a great deal of imagination. That said, touch/smell would have to be done right to be useful at all. Not every "cotton" shirt is made to the same standard. It could be useful if you're shopping online to be able to feel what that particular shirt's quality and texture are like. Or for smell, to be able to smell what some restaurant's food smells like, or what some deodorant/perfume/shampoo/detergent/cleaner smells like before you buy it. It is useful in limited scenarios, but those scenarios are very common. They may not constitute a huge percentage of computer activity, but it's something that is likely done by millions of people on a daily basis. Not the most glamorous tech, and I don't think it'll be even on the horizon in next five years due to the complications of synthetically creating variable senses of smell and touch on demand.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
"Sight: A pixel will be worth a thousands words"

Wasn't there a guy who put up a million-pixel website that was worth a million dollars?

Stupid article on stupid goals is stupid...

Where is the substance? Or the tech? I can say anything will happen in 5 years.

The Mayan EXTRA long calendar ends in 2017. In 5 years we will all die

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]drosencraft[/nom]Touch/Smell through a device is a good idea in limited applications. Some here obviously rarely shop for non-mechanical devices, or lack a great deal of imagination. That said, touch/smell would have to be done right to be useful at all. Not every "cotton" shirt is made to the same standard. It could be useful if you're shopping online to be able to feel what that particular shirt's quality and texture are like. Or for smell, to be able to smell what some restaurant's food smells like, or what some deodorant/perfume/shampoo/detergent/cleaner smells like before you buy it. It is useful in limited scenarios, but those scenarios are very common. They may not constitute a huge percentage of computer activity, but it's something that is likely done by millions of people on a daily basis. Not the most glamorous tech, and I don't think it'll be even on the horizon in next five years due to the complications of synthetically creating variable senses of smell and touch on demand.[/citation]
Non-mechanical devices, no need to know the texture (like a mug's). For buying food/groceries online, you rely on reputation of the store. The rest, like clothes and such, we go to malls/boutiques to shop. No need for useless touch crap. I'm more concerned with how a dress will fit.

Touch: It's very impractical to "texture scan" every item on the catalog especially wasting resources on "below standard" items. Fashion trends always change (maybe except jeans) so they'd be constantly updating the catalog. If you're lazy (always prefer shopping online) or don't have time to go out shopping (to feel out the dress yourself), you probably don't care that much about quality (unless you already know what you are buying).

Smell: They're not talking about artificial odor. It's the computer that will have the sense of smell... not consumer computers anyway. Still, I don't know why you'd want to know the smell of a restaurant's food. Taste isn't always about the smell. Like artificial flavors, smells can be faked (like the smell device will produce).
It's useless to try every smell of detergent/cleaner/shampoo/etc (via smell device) unless you change to a different one every time you ran out. What you're buying/trying is probably cheaper than refilling the chemicals on the smell device. If smell devices can mimic expensive perfume, there's no need to buy the real one.

You say the scenarios are common but all of them are about online shopping. Maybe IBM is trying to make everyone into shut ins or something:
Computers can smell if you are sick (and alert someone), can see and hear what happens in and around your house (and alert someone if it's bad), and tell you what to eat. No need to go out to shop. You can feel what you're buying online through your phone.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
None of it will happen; these 'predictions' show every few years and than nothing.
Most of these things have been around in one way or another for devades.

And yet, we can not even make a Graphics card hacker proof; not to even mention a whole computer.

nix327

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
It seems in future the only thing people will have to do by themselves is to die..everything else will be done for you by technology..

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Companies have big ideas but I doubt the tech will be there. I mean, it might be there, but I can't see it being really viable unless technology picks up drastically.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
In a possible future a guy standing in front of his pc farts and says "Ur my computer, and so u have to shut up and smell it!" as a response Skynet is born.

Status
Not open for further replies.