ICONS: Most of my icon graphics have 'gone generic'. What ..

Most of the Icons on my desktop and Start menu have gone 'generic' looking.
What happened? How can I restore them?

We are running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a PC purchased in
Nov. 04'.

The only thing I can think of that's different is my kids (all under 8) have
started to play educational software more recently, which often will screw up
my display (1600 x 1200) as the games all run low res and the PC attempts to
switch back and forth when you quit the PC game.

However, what's happened that most of my icons on the desktop, quick launch
bar (except IE and Outlook) and even my Start menu icons are 'generic'?

Please help!

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Us 5 Camp wrote:
> Most of the Icons on my desktop and Start menu have gone 'generic' looking.
> What happened? How can I restore them?
>
> We are running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a PC purchased in
> Nov. 04'.
>
> The only thing I can think of that's different is my kids (all under 8) have
> started to play educational software more recently, which often will screw up
> my display (1600 x 1200) as the games all run low res and the PC attempts to
> switch back and forth when you quit the PC game.
>
> However, what's happened that most of my icons on the desktop, quick launch
> bar (except IE and Outlook) and even my Start menu icons are 'generic'?
>
> Please help!

Try deleting the iconcache.db file. It might have become corrupted.
Deleting will cause it to rebuild. It's in here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks Rock!!! That did it!

"Rock" wrote:

> Us 5 Camp wrote:
> > Most of the Icons on my desktop and Start menu have gone 'generic' looking.
> > What happened? How can I restore them?
> >
> > We are running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a PC purchased in
> > Nov. 04'.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of that's different is my kids (all under 8) have
> > started to play educational software more recently, which often will screw up
> > my display (1600 x 1200) as the games all run low res and the PC attempts to
> > switch back and forth when you quit the PC game.
> >
> > However, what's happened that most of my icons on the desktop, quick launch
> > bar (except IE and Outlook) and even my Start menu icons are 'generic'?
> >
> > Please help!
>
> Try deleting the iconcache.db file. It might have become corrupted.
> Deleting will cause it to rebuild. It's in here:
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Us 5 Camp wrote:

> Thanks Rock!!! That did it!
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>Us 5 Camp wrote:
>>
>>>Most of the Icons on my desktop and Start menu have gone 'generic' looking.
>>>What happened? How can I restore them?
>>>
>>>We are running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a PC purchased in
>>>Nov. 04'.
>>>
>>>The only thing I can think of that's different is my kids (all under 8) have
>>>started to play educational software more recently, which often will screw up
>>>my display (1600 x 1200) as the games all run low res and the PC attempts to
>>>switch back and forth when you quit the PC game.
>>>
>>>However, what's happened that most of my icons on the desktop, quick launch
>>>bar (except IE and Outlook) and even my Start menu icons are 'generic'?
>>>
>>>Please help!
>>
>>Try deleting the iconcache.db file. It might have become corrupted.
>>Deleting will cause it to rebuild. It's in here:
>>C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Great, glad it worked for you and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS