[SOLVED] icons no thumbs

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
It is weird, for just over a week my new mp3 and mp4 icons are not showing thumbnails. but those from before are still showing thumbnails.

I have already opened folder options "view" and made sure the always show icons, never thumbnails is unticked.

My mp3 and MP4 files are associated with VLC as all my previous media is.

I have no clue as to what could have happened, all the old stuff is still showing thumbnails it's just the new stuff that is refusing to show thumbnails.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Ok, I followed the directions for viewing hidden files and deleting the windows 10 icon.DB file and navigated to the folder in the same parent directory and deleted several DB icon files, but there were several that would not delete as they were in use.

I rebooted and now I have no icons at all, even the ones that I still had are gone. it did restore the icon files that I had deleted but refuses to show me any thumbnails .

I just went to the local folder and the iconCache.db file I deleted is there, I also went to the microsoft/windows/explorer folder and all of the icon.db files I deleted are there so it appears the the cache has been rebuilt but refuses to show thumbnails

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Ok, I just did the disk clean-up program and deleted thumbnails and rebooted, and all of my media files are still showing the orange cone icon of VLC, no thumbnails.

It is weird because only the new files were not showing thumbnails the old files were showing their thumbnails.

Now no thumbnails at all.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I have just uninstalled VLC and set my mp3 and mp4s to open with Microsoft media player, while the individual files now have different icons a musical note, the folders containing those files still show the now uninstalled VLC cone on or as the folder, I had a habit of right-clicking on a folder and adding it to VLC playlist

Still no thumbnails

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Ok, I just repeated the first process of deleting all of the DB files, the main one and the ones in the windows/explorer folder, and rebooted, now the orange cones on the media folders are gone and all files are showing the Microsoft media player icons but still no thumbnail.

The check box show icons never thumbnails is still unticked.

By the way thank you for your replies and help.

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I have tried everything I know, I have deleted the DB files twice, I have changed media players, and am back to my favorite VLC, I have used disk cleanup twice and deleted thumbs from it, rebooted multiple times, and no thumbnails at all now all of them are gone.

if there is a registry hack I would try that, as I have poked around the registry for a few years, opening specific keys and changing the contents by directions manually, and sometimes downloading registry hacks such as bye Cortana, enable disable USB write, stop themes from changing mouse settings...

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I have another computer which is essentially a backup of the files and folders on my Laptop, so I navigated to the same folders containing the DB files and copied them because on that system the thumbnails are there for the exact same folders, I copied those and transferred them to my laptop rebooted and still no thumbnails.

I am at a complete loss now as to fixing this.

Thank you for the replies.

gardenman

Splendid
Solution

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Ok, Yesterday I did number #4, Two more ideas are #4 and #5 on this page change the default media player, I changed to windows media player 12, when a reboot made no change, I installed two other media players making them default.

Also, I just did the Command prompt as Admin, SFC /scannow and it did not find any integrity problems.

I will try creating another user and login to it and see if that changes anything.

Thank you again for your replies.