[SOLVED] I'd like to clone my OS from a HDD to an SSD, please help!

misterdavidjoe

Prominent
Nov 3, 2018
I have done a lot of research as to what I have to do in order to make this happen.

My first problem: The total used space on my HDD exceeds the total space on my 240GB SSD (unused, formatted for OS)

1st Q: Is there a simple way to move non-system files from the C:/ drive partition, on a 2TB HDD to another partition on the same HDD so that windows is unaffected?

After I do this I'd like to migrate Windows to the 240GB SSD.

My second problem: I have cloned my old 1TB HDD to the new 2TB HDD. I thought everything went fine, I booted from the new clone multiple times with no problem (the clone does seem a little slower not sure why). My problem arises because now when I try to use the old 1TB HDD to boot (fairly sure I'm changing the bios settings correctly for boot, not entirely sure, but I haven't changed any settings in windows. I'm told, I think, that you have to make sure the drive you want to boot from is "active".) Now I am scared.

2nd Q: If the old genuine copy of Windows wont boot from the old drive, will migrating the cloned Windows from the 2TB drive to the 240GB SSD cause the 2TB HDD to not be able to boot anymore?

Further info: My windows started as 7 or vista...? I upgraded, skipping 8, and now have windows 10 64x, pretty sure. The 1TB HDD is from my old deskop; every part in the new desktop is different. I can provide Specs and screenshots to the best of my abilities.

P.S. if anyone knows what I did to the 1TB HDD to make it no longer to be able to boot I'd love to know!

Solution
1| You should borrow a portable HDD from a friend or neighbor and move all critical content away from C:\

2| Please don't clone, always reinstall the OS and ofc, make sure you backup all content in case the cloning process goes sideways and knocks out both drives.

3| The licence key to your Windows 10 installation is bound to your motherboard, if you're wondering what'll happen if you format the drive. It's for this reason that you can perform as many formats as you want, just make sure you don't replace the motherboard. If you do, you're going to have to call Microsoft to verify you are indeed the owner of that licence key.

Lutfij

Titan
1| You should borrow a portable HDD from a friend or neighbor and move all critical content away from C:\

2| Please don't clone, always reinstall the OS and ofc, make sure you backup all content in case the cloning process goes sideways and knocks out both drives.

3| The licence key to your Windows 10 installation is bound to your motherboard, if you're wondering what'll happen if you format the drive. It's for this reason that you can perform as many formats as you want, just make sure you don't replace the motherboard. If you do, you're going to have to call Microsoft to verify you are indeed the owner of that licence key.

Solution

misterdavidjoe

Prominent
Nov 3, 2018

Thank you for the response!

1| by critical content do you mean everything that I dont want to lose? Also how would you suggest I move the content? sorry I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to tech...

2| so your vote is I clean install... The only problem I have with that is, I no longer have the OS installation disk :/ I was like 14~ when i got the original rig used from someone who custom built it... i was too stupid to give windows its own partition then and to stupid to keep the installation disk because i never knew that moving Windows would would be so difficult let alone that i'd even ever upgrade hardware. I have no way to pay for a new windows product, which is why im trying so hard for this. If I could afford to get a new windows i would absolutely get it and just back up all my personal files on to a separate drive with no cloning involved. this is really my only option right now to get the OS onto the SSD.

3| I will have to call Microsoft, thank you.

Do you know by chance what could have happened to 1TB HDD, why it wont boot?

misterdavidjoe

Prominent
Nov 3, 2018

@Lutfij i didnt realize that i could create a windows installation media... im sorry!! thank you for the help! Question 2 no longer stands.