id Software's Rage Officially Dated Sept. 13 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nOv1c3

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
ID,s not what they used to be , Once they started making console ports for the PC everything went down hill

I guess the days of the Coding a game for the PC then porting it over to the Console is long gone and its killing the PC gaming sceane

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
blockbuster NOOO please tell me it aint true , don't you guys know block buster means over the top , stupid mediocre product that gets hype but no real substence ? look at the garbage that holly wood calls "blockbuster", if these are really good games stop slaping this term on them however if they are ovber hyped mediocre pieces of crap by all means continue using the term.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]cy-kill[/nom]Will anyone care by then, because there'll be much better & more advanced games out by then?[/citation]
Like what? COD 2011 where you get to play as john madden coaching the raiders? Oh wait... nah it'll sell to the cod choads and the madden boys! I should pitch this to EA!

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]cy-kill[/nom]I don't care about CoD or any modern or past war-based shooters. I am only into scifi shooters.[/citation]
Then crysis 2, the interctive bemchmark, might better suit your tastes

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]cy-kill[/nom]I don't care about CoD or any modern or past war-based shooters. I am only into scifi shooters.[/citation]
That's gonna sting when "COD: Future Warrior" comes out

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]That's gonna sting when "COD: Future Warrior" comes out[/citation]

No, it won't because that is not the scifi shooters I am into, try going hundreds of years into the future.

G

I dont get it, Rage runs on current gen hardware at a relatively good framerate judging from all the tech demos released thus far. So a year from now it will probably seem pretty dated and nothing groundbreaking. I guess iD is just such a small dev team that it takes them this long to develop it. I really think iD is shooting themselves in the foot here catering to console gamers though. iD is really known for one thing and one thing only, next-gen gaming engines. They happened to ship a couple of good titles mixed in there with it, but they are an engine development company and derive most of their profits from licensing.

By wasting all their efforts developing for inferior console hardware they are basically producing standard level graphics that everyone has already seen. Without anything to really show off, nobody will care when iD releases a title anymore. There will be nothing special about "iD tech", because it looks like last years garbage. They should stick to pc development so they can wow audiences with never before seen technology which will build hype for their games, even if those games arent any good.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Like what? COD 2011 where you get to play as john madden coaching the raiders? Oh wait... nah it'll sell to the cod choads and the madden boys! I should pitch this to EA![/citation]

Football with guns? id buy it :D

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Did anyone read the tech paper on the new engine. The big deal for this graphics engine is they've overcome the texture limitations that exist in current game hardware/game engines. They can give everything in the world it's own unique textures instead of this repeatitive crap we have now in all games. Part of that also said it wouldn't have to wait on a texture to load it would refine the detail as it became available (potential problems I see there, but i'm sure they'll deal with it)
I dont remember any other ground breaking tech from that paper but i read it many months ago.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
COnsidering Starcraft just came out, I think I'll SOMEHOW tide myself over... lol...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Status
Not open for further replies.