id Tech 5 'Rage' Ported to iPhone 4, Runs at 60fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredibly, Carmack said that the id Tech 5 engine even when running on the iPhone could "kill anything done on the Xbox or PlayStation 2." How's that for amazing progress?

well herpa derpa derp, the iphone 4 has dual 1ghz processors, and i would not be suprised if the graphics chip was also beefier than the xbox and ps2's

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
It annoy's me why this tech is always being demo'ed on a inferior platform to that of Android, yes it has a apple logo, yes you can download like 100,000 fart apps and yes you can claim that its icons do not look like they were manufactured by Mattel but the truth is that Android is the future. well what were you expecting apple, that A Closed source platform could ever really beat a open source platform, its a little thing called the future.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]Incredibly, Carmack said that the id Tech 5 engine even when running on the iPhone could "kill anything done on the Xbox or PlayStation 2." How's that for amazing progress?well herpa derpa derp, the iphone 4 has dual 1ghz processors, and i would not be suprised if the graphics chip was also beefier than the xbox and ps2's[/citation]
The iPhone doesn't use a dual processor or a dual core processor. It's a single CPU, single core Cortex-A8. No one besides apple knows the clock speed but it's rumored to be 800 MHz. Of course is still superior to the Emotion Engine on the PS2 that is clocked at 295 MHz, or the Pentium III based CPU on the Xbox that is clocked at 733MHz. The iPhone 4 has 512 MB of memory vs the 64 MB on the Xbox and 40 MB on the PS2.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Moron, Android is the dumbest **** ever created. It runs crappy java apps and only few of the Android phones can actually come close to an Iphone, most of them are just stupid low memory, dumb cpus made by the worst mobile manufacturers in the world, who can't even make a decent touchscreen.[/citation]

Now now Steve Jobs, there's no need for such anger. We know it's you, and we're not buying your phone until you fix it and let us use it the way we want to.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Moron, Android is the dumbest *** ever created. It runs crappy java apps and only few of the Android phones can actually come close to an Iphone, most of them are just stupid low memory, dumb cpus made by the worst mobile manufacturers in the world, who can't even make a decent touchscreen.[/citation]

Actually the top of the line Android phones have better hardware than the iPhone. The top of the line Android uses the same CPUs, GPUs and memory that the iPhone use with the exception that iPhone CPU is clocked at about 800 MHz where as the Android phones are clocked at 1 GHz.

I also don't know if you know this but the iPhone LCD/Touchscreen is made by Samsung not Apple.

G

I think the real issue when comparing Android to iPhone is that the iPhone has standard hardware, which is easy to target. With Android, you could be running on any random configuration, which adds a lot of checks, fallbacks, and exception handling into the code base. This makes the port to iPhone cleaner than dealing with Android...

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Moron, Android is the dumbest **** ever created. It runs crappy java apps and only few of the Android phones can actually come close to an Iphone, most of them are just stupid low memory, dumb cpus made by the worst mobile manufacturers in the world, who can't even make a decent touchscreen.[/citation]

QQ Moar Apple Fanboy.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The iPhone doesn't use a dual processor or a dual core processor. It's a single CPU, single core Cortex-A8. No one besides apple knows the clock speed but it's rumored to be 800 MHz. Of course is still superior to the Emotion Engine on the PS2 that is clocked at 295 MHz, or the Pentium III based CPU on the Xbox that is clocked at 733MHz. The iPhone 4 has 512 MB of memory vs the 64 MB on the Xbox and 40 MB on the PS2.[/citation]
You cant really directly compare with a console. All of consoles are fully optimized for just games, and until just recently they had no OS or anything running in the background. Even with lower clock speeds, the way they are designed is just massively different. The PS2 for example is 3.2GB/s of memory bus bandwidth while the PSP is at a mere 2.6GB/s, and (for now) the PSP is a fair amount ahead in terms of games than the iphone 4.

It is a pretty good achievement to get performance like that out of an iphone, in my opinion.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]You cant really directly compare with a console. All of consoles are fully optimized for just games, and until just recently they had no OS or anything running in the background. Even with lower clock speeds, the way they are designed is just massively different. The PS2 for example is 3.2GB/s of memory bus bandwidth while the PSP is at a mere 2.6GB/s, and (for now) the PSP is a fair amount ahead in terms of games than the iphone 4.It is a pretty good achievement to get performance like that out of an iphone, in my opinion.[/citation]

True that the consoles were made just for gaming, so the hardware and operating system is designed basically just for this purpose. But there is no denying that smart phones are getting very close to the last generation of consoles.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Jumpy-B-L[/nom]Yes but at what resolution?[/citation]
960 x 640 is the screen resolution of the iphone 4. The antenna may suck, but it's got the best screen out there right now of any phone.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]It's got the same hardware but java pulls it down because this is what java does and lcds in apple are made by LG, not Samsung.[/citation]

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. What's the difference between apps being written in java or objective c? They're just languages. Java language was even influence by objective-c. Have you ever programed in both languages (that is if you even know how to program something)? Don't be confused with the java application you used to see on old phones.

True the LCD is manufactured by LG, I got confused with the Apple A4 that is manufactured by Samsung.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]It's got the same hardware but java pulls it down because this is what java does and lcds in apple are made by LG, not Samsung.[/citation]

Still not made by apple. And you say that androids are made by the crappiest companies. LG makes absolute crap.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Dang it's usually the other way around on forums, Android people attacking Apple people, but this time around Apple jumped in and attacked Android. Seems that the Apple people are really getting scared that there phone may become second best shortly. We will see... But for now, I agree that the same plain jane setup of Apple phones across all apple phones is what makes it appealing, but Android will be coming up to that level soon with faster processors from both major companies but both being equal in most aspects, this allows a more level playing field and that is what will balance out the last bit of Androids slight fragmentation issue.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Actually the top of the line Android phones have better hardware than the iPhone. The top of the line Android uses the same CPUs, GPUs and memory that the iPhone use with the exception that iPhone CPU is clocked at about 800 MHz where as the Android phones are clocked at 1 GHz.I also don't know if you know this but the iPhone LCD/Touchscreen is made by Samsung not Apple.[/citation]

I really think that you have no idea what you are talking about. Screen , CPU, Memory, Battery, ... its all different from Android based phones.
Android may be running its CPU at 1GHz and above just to get similar performance to iPhone but it's sacrificing battery life. try running game son Android and iPhone, Android will need a recharge every couple of hours...

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I thought the demo was pretty good. But, I'm a bit disappointed that Carmack's mobile offerings seem to be limited to iOS. Considering Winphone7 and Android platforms will be running comparable hardware and Android has a comparable (recent) user base to that of iOS, it only makes sense to offer this on other platforms as well. If the resulting games were good, I would buy them for my Android device. Isn't the whole point of this to sell it and make money?

It's one thing for game consoles to have exclusivity. The game console owners pay development companies for that exclusivity, or own the game studio and can control it. As far as I know, Apple hasn't done this. So, exclusivity appears to be arbitrary. Maybe it is the time vested? I dunno ..

G

i can only imagine AT&T laughing their heads of with the idea of someone downloading a blu-ray worth of data to their iPhone.....

but it really doesn't bode well for the PC (Windows) experience if this game can run exceptionally well on an iPhone, do i really want to play a game that runs on my PC just marginally better then an iPhone.....

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Still not made by apple. And you say that androids are made by the crappiest companies. LG makes absolute crap.[/citation]

An LG component and an LG device are completely different things.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]I really think that you have no idea what you are talking about. Screen , CPU, Memory, Battery, ... its all different from Android based phones.Android may be running its CPU at 1GHz and above just to get similar performance to iPhone but it's sacrificing battery life. try running game son Android and iPhone, Android will need a recharge every couple of hours...[/citation]

Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't want to waste my time explaining that to a bunch of fandroids but I'm glad you did it. Faster doesn't mean better.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]I thought the demo was pretty good. But, I'm a bit disappointed that Carmack's mobile offerings seem to be limited to iOS. Considering Winphone7 and Android platforms will be running comparable hardware and Android has a comparable (recent) user base to that of iOS, it only makes sense to offer this on other platforms as well. If the resulting games were good, I would buy them for my Android device. Isn't the whole point of this to sell it and make money?It's one thing for game consoles to have exclusivity. The game console owners pay development companies for that exclusivity, or own the game studio and can control it. As far as I know, Apple hasn't done this. So, exclusivity appears to be arbitrary. Maybe it is the time vested? I dunno ..[/citation]

Carmack has been making games for the iPhone for a couple of years now. Android is a bit newer, and Windows Phone 7 isn't even out yet. I don't know what developer nightmares you want to create for a game ON A PHONE...but you're really wasting your breath.

Another thing is that Android doesn't have enough platform control to guarantee the game would play on all of its phones. iPhone is more like a console and Android more like Windows. Nobody's going to want to spend all that extra time making up for all the possible hardware variants with the Android platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS