IDC: Lack of Start Button Deflates Windows 8 Interest

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadfred

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
The problem is the missing Start button? Please….. Have the folks at IDS tried to use this OS for actual work on a multi-monitor desktop system? On my first interaction with Windows 8 it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to shut down my PC. Eventually I had to Google it. I miss the good old days when Windows would shut itself down. Frequently and with vigor. :) Seriously though, I’m a very experienced user and I was shocked at how non-intuitive the user experience was when trying to navigate the OS. I feel that MS will themselves fulfill the prophecy that the end of the desktop is near with OS designs like Windows 8. Personally I don’t care about the missing Start button. What I care about is the lack of thought that went into, it not a Start button, then what else do we need?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]falcompsx[/nom]Another thing, in previous versions, you could shut down by clicking two buttons, and while it is the butt of many jokes, its actually quite elegant. Start -> Shutdown. In windows 8 it takes...half a dozen clicks maybe? possibly more, i haven't used it in a while and dont plan to[/citation]

It takes 3

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
[citation][nom]falcompsx[/nom]Another thing, in previous versions, you could shut down by clicking two buttons, and while it is the butt of many jokes, its actually quite elegant. Start -> Shutdown. In windows 8 it takes...half a dozen clicks maybe? possibly more, i haven't used it in a while and dont plan to.[/citation]

I shutdown Win 8 by pressing Alt+F4 from the desktop, then pressing enter. It's the same as previous Windows versions.

[citation]Also, lets say you're in desktop mode and you just installed a traditional application that puts its icon in the start menu, no desktop shortcut. Once its on the desktop, or pinned to the task bar, there's no issue with launching the app. But from a regular end user perspective, how do they get icons on the desktop or task bar usually? Dragging it out from the start menu. Now that they can't do this, how are they expected to know to open the library, browse to c:\program files(x86)\someapp\... and then know which of the many files is the main executable for their program that they should shortcut to? What if they move the file vs making a shortcut and nothing works?[/citation]

To pin a program's shortcut to the taskbar they'd press Win+Q, right-click on the program and select "Pin to Taskbar".

To pin a shortcut to the desktop they'd select "Open file location" instead of "Pin to Taskbar". Windows 8 opens the file location with the file shortcut already highlighted. They'd then copy it to the desktop.

[citation]The whole interface is just useless for average users. I may know my way around a PC, and while its clunky and not pleasant to use, i imagine for less computer savvy people its an absolute nightmare![/citation]

I'm glad to have corrected you. It's actually easy to use even for computer illiterate people. I sit next to one during the lunch break. I bring my gaming lappy to work quite often and he now uses a desktop PC with Win 8 on it. AND he was born a pom. You know what they're like -- moan moan moan moan moan... The only things I miss from Win 7 are desktop gadgets.

We're all pretty stupid (similarly to the rest of the market not buying into W8) because we can't see the point of upgrading when "98% of how you operate it is exactly the same as how W7..." and on top of that, it takes additional mouse clicks just to get to this place (desktop). What is the value-add?

Drivers for printers are even pretty weak (ala Vista upon release). I love when I go to print something and my W8 laptop shows my printer offline (after previously printing fine to this printer and usually when I'm in a hurry). So then I send the doc to my W7 machine and print without an issue. Printer issues like this are reminiscent of Vista 64 upon release. Always having to re-install print drivers or re-find network printers. How long have we all been printing? Can't MS get this right?

We're all pretty stupid I guess.

I think a few of us stupid people hit the nail on the head by saying they should just allow you to start up right to the desk top. This way, we stupid people can at least take advantage of the new security features W8 has to offer (it is more secure than W7, right? What if you prefer a 3rd-party AV? Is it more secure than that?) without having to go through extra clicks to get work done.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

I was responding to how many it takes to shut down Win8 not correcting him on how many it takes to shut down previous windows. I would have thought that was fairly obvious.

AndreT

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
You should also include the gesture then, since it's required to bring up the menu to click on something.

AndreT

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
And is that from the desktop or the metro UI? Sorry, it's just not that obvious what you are talking about.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

From the desktop or Metro, it is the same.
As far as the gesture, it is the same motion as Windows 7.
1. Move mouse to bottom corner (Start button - bottom left; Charms - bottom right)
2. Win7 click start; Win8 move up to click settings
3. Win7 move up to click Shutdown; Win8 click Power
4. Win8 click Shutdown

One additional click in Win8. Do I think it could be more convenient, yes (for both OS's really) Do I think that makes Win8 worse than 7, no.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Windows 8 has quite a lot of problems aside from Metro.

1. constantly downloads in the background without user permission.
2. tries to scan drives to "fix" them and ends up breaking them.
3. you don't have as much freedom as XP with pinning items to the start menu.
4. retarded right-click menu on shortcuts, such as a shortcut to the ethernet connection. I want to right-click and disconnect, and disconnect doesn't appear in the shortcut.
5. Default picture viewer in desktop mode is Metro? Easy fix sure, but really dumb move.
6. No "classic task manager" option.
7. No "Win 9x theme, Luna theme, or Aero theme.
8. Still haven't fixed system tray nagging. Yes I know my virus definitions are out of date. No, I don't want to update them now. etc.
9. Can't paste files into C:\ drive. I get that there's protection in place, but a simple admin prompt asking if you're sure you want to paste would suffice.
10. Yesterday Windows 8 refused to let me shut down. All updates are installed. You'd think they'd have fixed major bugs like this by now.
11. No easy way to bypass disk checking on startup.

The list goes on. I'm strongly considering going from XP to 7 or Linux instead of 8.

...And sometimes the login service fails to start on start up so you have to power down and cold boot to login. (sarcasm alert) But that login stuff is one of those new-fangled features they're still experimenting with. I guess when we're dealing with cutting-edge technology such as logging into a PC, we just live with what we get since we're pioneering users in this area. They'll have that and printer status figured out in W8 SP1 - maybe...

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Windows 8 has quite a lot of problems aside from Metro.1. constantly downloads in the background without user permission.[/citation]

It does seem constant with a new installation, but when Win 8 is finished updating from the Windows Update site the annoyance goes away. With any newly installed OS I prefer to get the updates out of the way ASAP. If you don't like the way Windows updates then change the Windows Update Settings so Windows updates only with your permission. Just ask if you don't know the location of the Windows update settings.

[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]
2. tries to scan drives to "fix" them and ends up breaking them.[/citation]

Why should Win 8 be scanning your drive? Did you decide to install Win 8 on a buggered one just to see how well it would hold up?

3. you don't have as much freedom as XP with pinning items to the start menu.[/citation]

Yes you do. Right click on an item and select "Pin to Start". It then appears as a tile on the Start Screen which you can then reposition.

4. retarded right-click menu on shortcuts, such as a shortcut to the ethernet connection. I want to right-click and disconnect, and disconnect doesn't appear in the shortcut.[/citation]

I'm not sure what you're looking at. I've created a desktop shortcut to an ethernet connection and I can see the option to enable or disable, depending on the connection state. In fact I haven't had Disconnect/Connect options since I was using dial-up on Win 98, and it was from a network connection icon in the notification area.

5. Default picture viewer in desktop mode is Metro? Easy fix sure, but really dumb move.[/citation]

It makes no sense to say that the move to the metro app is a dumb move since all the default MS picture viewers have mongo functionality. Hence it's always been standard practice for me to use something better, like IrfanView.

6. No "classic task manager" option.[/citation]

What's the benefit of the old task manager over the new one?

7. No "Win 9x theme, Luna theme, or Aero theme.[/citation]

Of course, you upgraded from Win 9x to Win XP, from XP to Win 7, but now NOT having a theme from a previous OS is an issue when the topic is Windows 8. It's just too frivolous to work up an emotion over.

8. Still haven't fixed system tray nagging. Yes I know my virus definitions are out of date. No, I don't want to update them now. etc.[/citation]

The nagging can be turned off from the Action Center.

9. Can't paste files into C:\ drive. I get that there's protection in place, but a simple admin prompt asking if you're sure you want to paste would suffice.[/citation]

Suffice to say I can paste files to the C:\ drive. The admin prompt appears before the transfer can proceed. You've done something... odd. The UAC maybe?

10. Yesterday Windows 8 refused to let me shut down. All updates are installed. You'd think they'd have fixed major bugs like this by now.[/citation]

Not familiar with that one.

11. No easy way to bypass disk checking on startup.The list goes on. I'm strongly considering going from XP to 7 or Linux instead of 8.[/citation]

Why would Win 8 be disk checking on startup? This sound like something related to 2). Maybe your HDD is faulty.

[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]...And sometimes the login service fails to start on start up so you have to power down and cold boot to login. (sarcasm alert) But that login stuff is one of those new-fangled features they're still experimenting with. I guess when we're dealing with cutting-edge technology such as logging into a PC, we just live with what we get since we're pioneering users in this area. They'll have that and printer status figured out in W8 SP1 - maybe...[/citation]

Neither am I familiar with that one; not with Win 8, Win 7, nor with XP.

I use the start button all the time, as i do NOT want my desktop to be cluttered. I have MULTIPLE programs running and WANT to see them AT THE SAME TIME (only ONE monitor). win8 doesn't allow me to do that. win7, i can use just THE MOUSE, with win8 i'm FORCED TO USE THE KEYBOARD OVER AND OVER AND OVER. win7 start menu response every single time, the win8 menu on the right WILL STOP FUNCTIONING over and over, and again, forcing me to use the keyboard.

I can only see win8 on touchscreens with LIMITED use, like just simple browsing, watching a movie, and other simple task. For workstations (like mine), win7 is the far better choice.

Yes, but don't you want to scroll sideways (using the up and down ? mouse scroll wheel) through big buttons to get to your programs? It's a lot more funner than using a couple of mouse clicks.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I remember issues with vista and 8 (lol). Lets check sleeping dogs. you cant run it on highest settings with 8. And you cant run skype normal. But all I was saying is that ill just skip this version and hope that 9 will be better.

xfrank

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
start button is useful, as the whole traditional desktop. Touch features are useless and anti-ergonomic for the most people who actually use their pcs for work, generally desktop and laptop machines wihtout touch screens.
Windows 8 is a big mistake. If MS don't change this trend, I'll swap all my pcs to linux.

xfrank

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
[citation][nom]computertech82[/nom]I use the start button all the time, as i do NOT want my desktop to be cluttered. I have MULTIPLE programs running and WANT to see them AT THE SAME TIME (only ONE monitor). win8 doesn't allow me to do that. win7, i can use just THE MOUSE, with win8 i'm FORCED TO USE THE KEYBOARD OVER AND OVER AND OVER. win7 start menu response every single time, the win8 menu on the right WILL STOP FUNCTIONING over and over, and again, forcing me to use the keyboard.I can only see win8 on touchscreens with LIMITED use, like just simple browsing, watching a movie, and other simple task. For workstations (like mine), win7 is the far better choice.[/citation]

agree. Especially the mouse is very convenient, I use it a lot instead of the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS