Question IDE to USB Adapter for older HD

Dec 24, 2021
Happy Holidays all!
I have an older 90's Conner CFS420A hard drive I'm trying to do data retrieval. On the IDE/SATA to USB adapter I have the 40 pin side doesn't connect with the pins on the drive
because the pin spacing is slightly different (the pins on the HD are further apart than the holes on the adapter). Does anyone know of an adapter that will work with this spacing
or does anyone know what the pin spacing is on this hard drive so I can make sure I get an adapter with this? Thanks for your help.

Dec 24, 2021
I'm unable to force the modern connector to the Conner HD due to pin spacing. So that's not a possibility.
I've successfully used the connector on desktop 3.5" SATA hard drives newer (2004) than the Conner. The connector is IDE compatible so it should work, but isn't for this older HD.

The IDE standard has never changed, all ide drives have the same spacing, they are only divided into 2.5 and 3.5 inch.
Some drives have one pin missing and some cables have one pin filled up to make it impossible to plug it in the wrong way around and that's the only difference you might find.
If you can, upload a pic of both the drive connector as well as the adaptor in the same pic.

Dec 24, 2021
After reading responses and my replies I figured out what was wrong. The connector fits after all but when all is plugged into power (household & behind the tower) & turned on, the HD
isn't spinning. Think its a bigger problem than the connector. Gotta decide if its worth it to deep dive. Thanks for your help!!

Dec 24, 2021
Got another question. Took a 2.5" IBM Travelstar HD out of an old laptop. It actually has 44 pins. The IDE adapter says it's for 44 pins but actually has 43 + a blank space. Is there a female adapter with 44 holes? If not, next steps??

USAFRet

Titan
Got another question. Took a 2.5" IBM Travelstar HD out of an old laptop. It actually has 44 pins. The IDE adapter says it's for 44 pins but actually has 43 + a blank space. Is there a female adapter with 44 holes? If not, next steps??
Show us a pic of the connector pins on the drive.
You may be looking at a proprietary connector for the laptop.

Dec 24, 2021
I would if I could figure out which icon allows for adding photos vs. http addresses (at insert image) or URLs (at insert media).🤷‍♀️

USAFRet

Titan
Can't tell much from that pic, but it looks like there is an extra adapter on there.
Proprietary for that original laptop interface.

Unscrew those two screws and that cage thing.
Remove the black block if possible.

This may expose regular IDE connection.