[SOLVED] Ideal motherboard temperature?

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
Short version: How do I find what the ideal operating temperature is for a given motherboard?

Long version: I built my first PC last July (spec list below). While I'm still very new to the world of PC building, I had done enough research to understand the importance of a good cooling solution. As I was trying to keep the price for the system down, I chose to invest in a set of Arctic PWM case fans and an Arctic CPU cooler. I haven't had any issues regarding the performance of the hardware ever since I first turned this PC on. Now, however, I'm starting to wonder if I need to upgrade my cooling solution. My chief concern is whether my motherboard is running hot and what steps I should take to try bringing the temperature down. As far as I've been able to confirm, all the temperatures I've noted (with the use of CPUID Hardware Monitor) have been within the operating ranges of the components. How concerned should I be? At what point should I seriously consider upgrading? What should I keep an eye out for?

Spec list:
  • Intel i5 9600k
  • Gigabyte Z390 UD
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz (4 x 8GB)
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • Seagate 650-watt PSU
  • Arctic F12 PWM case fans (x 4)
  • Arctic Freezer 12

Solution
I wouldn't be concerned at all. Normally the CPU temp is much higher, and as long there is no fatal error on the motherboard, it should be ok as long as the cpu temp doesn't rise too much.

Some advises regarding temperature:
  • Make sure you have a decent air flow through the cabinet. As a thumb rule, air should let in at bottom and let out near the top.
  • Dust is your computer enemy, so try to prevent it from gathering inside. Things t try is: Lift the cabinet from the floor, some few inches should make it a lot better. Also if possible, try to have positive air pressure in the cabinet if possible.
I wouldn't be concerned at all. Normally the CPU temp is much higher, and as long there is no fatal error on the motherboard, it should be ok as long as the cpu temp doesn't rise too much.

Some advises regarding temperature:
  • Make sure you have a decent air flow through the cabinet. As a thumb rule, air should let in at bottom and let out near the top.
  • Dust is your computer enemy, so try to prevent it from gathering inside. Things t try is: Lift the cabinet from the floor, some few inches should make it a lot better. Also if possible, try to have positive air pressure in the cabinet if possible.

Solution