Question IdeaPad Pro 5 14IRH8 CPU running extremely hot (P-3 100°)

Boyko

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
I have core temps to monitor what is going on. My laptop is new and up to date. I have installed everything from the vantage app. The laptop is very quiet and the fans dont turn often enough independent of the mode in which i have it in. I installed the intel extreme tuning app and saw that it was set up for 65w and a turbo of 100w. The i5 13500h is a 45W CPU. The intel app however doesn´t let me undervolt the CPU only limit the power. I have set it up at 38W Currently and it can sustain a 100% load at a max of 85 C. The bios is too simple and is missing a lot of the options i am looking for. I want to adjust the fan curve so that the fans kick in a little sooner and if possible undervolt the CPU and i cant manipulate the multipliers on a h processor. I am mainly having problems with the P-Cores. I also adjusted the turbo boost power time interval as the power was not being controlled tightly enough.

So manly i want to:
1. Enter a meaningful BIOS.
2. Adjust the fan curve
3, I want to know how the 3 power option levels work together. Lenovo has power options and windows has power options and also has battery saver??

I will be very happy to get some info on this topic.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
1| The BIOS is what it is, you can't change it's layout or feature unless Lenovo have secret BIOS unlockable for a fee(I'm kidding on the last bit).

You could replace the thermal paste and pads in the laptop for higher quality paste and pads or thermal putty(if the laptop has any cooling pads) and that would help bring temps down. Sadly the 13th Generation of processors are impossible to undervolt. If you had the AMD Ryzen variant of the Lenovo Pro laptop, you would've been able to use a third party app to undervolt. If you got the HX variant of the processor on your laptop, that would've allowed you to undervolt.