Build Advice Ideas for a potential new build?

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Currently just feeling this out to see if it's a good or bad time to build a new system. What are your thoughts regarding when new models or generations of CPUs and GPUs will be released, for example? I keep being tempted by the 4090 GPU but I've heard about a potential 4090 Ti or 4090 Super.

And I'm curious about the GPUs with SSDs attached directly but I don't know if they are worth considering and I don't think there's a 4090 model with this feature...

Also curious about the idea of using the 980 Ti I currently have as a dedicated PhysX card along with something like a 4090 as the main GPU. Worth considering?

Approximate Purchase Date: No hurry. Depends on what's sensible.

Budget Range: I don't want to waste money in a ludicrous way (so perhaps don't go for a hyper-overclocked CPU 5% faster at twice the price!) but essentially there's no financial limit on my spending.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming with maxed out settings is definitely the most important thing. Of course I do also use the internet and watch movies. I don't do anything else on here really, so choice of processor etc. should be gaming focused. I have absolutely no interest in pretty lights so no need to waste money on RGB components.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes.

Parts to Upgrade: Most likely everything except keyboard and mouse and drives. I have lots of drives including multiple SSDs. I'd probably want to keep those or at least everything that isn't a HDD. I use headphones so I don't need speakers. Currently using a sound card built into a Logitech G510 keyboard. I'm wondering if a proper sound card you install into the motherboard would be worth it. I've never had one.

Wouldn't hurt to put in another SSD (presumably one of those that clips into the motherboard directly) as mine are a bit old now and might not be the fastest.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. Advice appreciated on which. I have Windows 7. I like Windows 7 but I imagine I need to get something newer.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere reliable which is UK based as that's where I live.

Parts Preferences: I'm used to Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs but it's not that important.

Overclocking: Never had any luck with this in the past. I'm unlikely to attempt anything major. Maybe? Pre-overclocked parts preferable.

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not. Never tried it and I heard it has issues.

Your Monitor Resolution: I currently have a 2560x1440 IPS QNIX 2710LED
I'm considering upgrading to something 4K similar to the

Asus ROG Swift OLED PG32UCDM​

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2256541/asus-rog-swift-oled-pg32ucdm-review.html

Open to advice about what similar monitors are best. I think 32 inch is about as big as I want to go as fitting in more than 28 inches width will be tricky. Let me know if there's something larger that's worth considering. I would need to find a way to make it fit... But it's possible. I have a big air conditioner on the desk for the stupidly hot summers. Maybe I can place it elsewhere.

4k resolution, high frame rate, fast response time, and true black are the attractive features here mostly. I need a matte monitor. Can't stand glossy because seeing my reflection is super distracting.

Additional Comments: Preferably relatively quiet. Would prefer a case with good air circulation and cable control, and with those removable dust catcher screens you just take out and rinse off, like on the Corsair 900D. I'm curious about water or hybrid cooling but not sure whether it's worth the bother. SSD bays would be very nice.
Space around the PC area is an issue so I need to take case dimensions into account in order to fit in the monitor and PC tower on the desk. If it's taller or more than a couple of inches wider than the Coolermaster Centurion case (480 mm x 202 mm x 435 mm D x W x H) then it could be problematic.

In terms of RAM I'd prefer to go for an excessive amount that will be future proof for a few years.

Definitely a modular PSU this time based on past experience of cables filling the case in a nightmarish tangle.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My old system is starting to struggle due to outdated hardware. Still runs most games perfectly well but its time is running out. I would like to have something capable of maxing out STALKER 2 when it releases. There's no real hurry at the moment so I can wait if it seems like a good idea.

In case it's helpful, what I currently have is the following:
Core i7 920 from 2008.
12GB DDR3 ram.
980 Ti golden edition as graphics card.
Coolermaster centurion case with the fan from an aerocool V-touch pro case on the side (400mm!).
Various SSDs.
Horribly non-modular 950W power supply.
Titan Fenrir CPU cooler. Works very nicely but I assume it would not be compatible with modern socket types? Had some problems with the fan on this interfering with heat spreaders on the RAM so I would like to try to avoid this issue with a new build.

Currently just feeling this out to see if it's a good or bad time to build a new system. What are your thoughts regarding when new models or generations of CPUs and GPUs will be released, for example? I keep being tempted by the 4090 GPU but I've heard about a potential 4090 Ti or 4090 Super.
The current rumor mill suggests next gen parts will be out either at the end of this year or early next year. So if you want the answer to "is it a good idea to build a new system now", my answer is always: if you can wait, then wait. If you need something now, get it now.

And I'm curious about the GPUs with SSDs attached directly but I don't know if they are worth considering and I don't think there's a 4090 model with this feature...
That feature is mostly for video cards with GPUs designed for 8 lanes, and the AIB figures they could add more value to the card by making it a 16-lane card and just use the other 8 for NVMe drives. It costs them very little to add it (it's literally a pass through), but the value proposition is great for certain situations like building with a mini-ITX board which often only has two M.2 slots at most. It doesn't reduce load times or act as some sort of space for dedicated VRAM swapping, if that's what you're wondering.

Anyway, you won't see it on high-end video cards.

Also curious about the idea of using the 980 Ti I currently have as a dedicated PhysX card along with something like a 4090 as the main GPU. Worth considering?
No. Most games that use PhysX are designed so that it can run on the CPU or it has so little impact running on the GPU that a dedicated card makes little sense.

In any case, I have no real advice here, other than:
  • CPU: Either an i9-14900K or a Ryzen 7800X3D. A Ryzen 9 7950X3D isn't really worthwhile unless you spend a lot of time doing something CPU intensive.
  • RAM: Sweet spot at the moment is DDR5-6000 CL30. 32GB is still enough for most gamers.
  • Motherboard: If going with Intel, just make sure the VRM looks beefy enough.
  • Video card: You're probably dead set on a 4090 or its next iteration
  • Power supply: Something at least 1000W and well reviewed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
LGA1366 is surprisingly compatible with LGA1700 only 2mm different hole spacing. If your mount is adjustable it should work. But a new cooler won't hurt or be that expensive.

Those GPU/SSD are talking advantage of the many mid-range GPUs that don't use all 16x lanes of the PCIe slot. So they are doing PCIe 8x/8x in the slot and providing 4x to the M.2 drive. The motherboard must support PCIe bifurcation for this to work at all. The big GPUs still have x16 lane connections, so no room for M.2 drives. Really only useful in small form factor scenarios and when you want many drives. Most Mini-ITX boards will support at least two-three drives in stacked or on the rear of the motherboard, so it isn't a huge market.

4090 is well into its lifecycle. Probably not ideal to buy one now.

980Ti is slower than the RTX4060 and RX7600 so any GPU is a decent upgrade for you. Without killing the budget a 4070 Super or 4070 Ti Super is the way to go to last you a couple years.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't justify a 14900k, 14700k is basically the same thing under normal operating conditions. Boosting to 6Ghz isn't really going to happen that often and 16e cores go to waste if you are only gaming.

4K graphics is not worth it if you are fast paced gamer. 4K graphics make more sense when you are playing single player story driven titles.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You mentioned having many SSDs, but they would have to be SATA drives with an i7-920, unless you went to the effort of using them only as non-bootable storage?

The chassis is only slightly wider.

4070 Super will do fine for 1440p gaming for a while. Alternative would be the 7800XT / 7900 GRE from AMD, 4070 TI Super, or 7900XT from AMD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-S WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.00 @ MSI)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 48 GB (2 x 24 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ Walmart)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ MSI)
Total: $1688.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-08 16:11 EDT-0400

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
My focus is certainly more towards single player story driven types of games.

Thanks for the information about the GPU SSD thing. Not so useful for me then.

As for the SSDs in the current system, they are
Crucial CT750MX300SSD1
Samsung SSD 840 Pro
Samsung SSD 860 Evo 4TB

So about 5 TB of SSD storage in here. Yes, SATA and one of them is the primary boot drive. I don't think I had any other option when this system was originally built. I would want to be keeping these as they have a crapload of games on them.

Any thoughts on the monitor? I'm no expert at latency and other advanced statistics but the one I linked to seems nice and it would be nice to have 4k.

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Case related question: How do you tell if a case comes with those dust filter panels? That's something I currently lack and the inside of the PC gets disgustingly furry quite often. I'm not sure what they're called...

Intel build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-14700 2.1 GHz 20-Core Processor (£358.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler (£57.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£249.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£236.07 @ Newegg UK)
Storage: *Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£164.99 @ MoreCoCo)
Video Card: *Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1598.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: *Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.99 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic VERTEX GX-1200 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£198.84 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home Retail - Download 64-bit (£106.37 @ Senetic)
Total: £3057.20
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-08 22:06 BST+0100

Dust filter for that case.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-lancool-216-dust-filter-black-ca-7br-ll.html

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-216/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbhuv6yLBc

AMD build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£348.15 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: *MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (£239.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£201.34 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£164.99 @ MoreCoCo)
Video Card: *Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1598.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic VERTEX GX-1200 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£198.84 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home Retail - Download 64-bit (£106.37 @ Senetic)
Total: £3001.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-08 22:09 BST+0100

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Intel build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-14700 2.1 GHz 20-Core Processor (£358.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£249.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£236.07 @ Newegg UK)
Total: £3057.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-08 22:06 BST+0100

Dust filter for that case.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-lancool-216-dust-filter-black-ca-7br-ll.html

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-216/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbhuv6yLBc

Thanks for this. This build looks promising... and from what I can see Intel seems better than AMD for gaming compared to the Ryzen7. Slightly concerned about an apparent lack of fan headers in some places on the motherboard but I assume some kind of extension cables are available for that?

Reactions: Why_Me

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
These days most people use fancy RGB/fan controllers. Many chassis come with them and many AIO as well. They act as PWM splitters so you can run virtually any number of fans from a few headers.

Picking out a monitor is a bit trickier. If you are going with a 4090 then you can run most things quite well, though there are games where you would have to compromise at 4K.

With limited desk space you can't go ultrawide. So a 4K 32" makes a lot of sense. OLED is fine if you tend to keep your monitors dim and your room isn't bright, as OLED screens are still prone to burn-in so running them full blast in a bright room is not good for their longevity. They have perfect blacks, so their low contrast numbers aren't as critical. However, they don't have great HDR performance since they generally can't get bright enough. It does have the lowest possible latency though. Text clarity can also be a minor issue.

If all of that is troubling, consider a QD-OLED panel or a high end IPS panel.

rtings.com is a great place to compare monitors.

Thanks for this. This build looks promising... and from what I can see Intel seems better than AMD for gaming compared to the Ryzen7. Slightly concerned about an apparent lack of fan headers in some places on the motherboard but I assume some kind of extension cables are available for that?
Don't concern yourself too much with which brand is better for gaming. When a system is GPU limited as you would see at 4K the CPU barely factors. Consider that when reviewing a CPU for gaming, the tester must lower in game settings and resolution to remove any GPU bottleneck and place load firmly on the CPU, a situation that rarely occurs in the real world unless the user is a competitive shooter player. More important points are power consumption, heat production, and upfront cost (Higher core count processors almost REQUIRE an expensive liquid cooler that will typically require replacement within 3 to 5 years.). When it comes to CPU's for gaming, i9's, and Ryzen 9 are always a bad value proposition, despite the marketing. In regards to AMD, when shopping for a CPU for use in a gaming rig make sure you are looking at the X3D variant. It contains extra cache memory to enhance certain workloads, such as gaming. I'll refer you to the Tom's article for their "Best CPU for Gaming" below for your own research. There are other websites that list aggregate scores as well, just keep in mind what I said about CPU gaming benchmarking.

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...on-high-performance-value-best-cpu-for-gaming

My recommendations echo some of the fine builds already listed. Intel i7 14700K, or AMD Ryzen 7800X3D.

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Regarding the case, the suggested Liancool 216 seems to be reasonably good, but I think it only has a dust filter at the front panel?

I am considering the Corsair 4000D Airflow or something similar.
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/p/pc-...wer-atx-case-black-cc-9011200-ww#tab-overview

Seems to have filters at the front, top, and at the PSU air intake, which is preferable. Any thoughts on this as a replacement? I don't know much about fan placement and air flow. I imagine I can put some extra fans in this thing to make up for it having less by default compared to the Liancool but I'm not sure how many I would want or where they would best be located.

logainofhades

Titan
That is a fine case, but the lack of fans is why I never really recommend it. You would want to add at least 2 more fans to the front.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£346.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£42.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard (£249.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£201.34 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£129.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1598.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.50 @ Computer Orbit)
Power Supply: Antec NE1300G M ATX3.0 1300 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£137.99 @ MoreCoCo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home Retail - Download 64-bit (£106.08 @ Senetic)
Case Fan: Corsair SP120 ELITE 45.4 CFM 120 mm Fan (£10.87 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Corsair SP120 ELITE 45.4 CFM 120 mm Fan (£10.87 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £2912.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-10 13:05 BST+0100

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I showed some friends the suggested builds and I had some feedback that even the i7 14700 is bottlenecking the 4090 to some extent. Seems to only be by about 6% (at 4K, more like 10% at 1440p) when I used the suggested website to check it.

Should I be concerned by that much or would upgrading the CPU further just be idiotic? I think even i9s have some bottleneck according to that website.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I showed some friends the suggested builds and I had some feedback that even the i7 14700 is bottlenecking the 4090 to some extent. Seems to only be by about 6% (at 4K, more like 10% at 1440p) when I used the suggested website to check it.

Should I be concerned by that much or would upgrading the CPU further just be idiotic? I think even i9s have some bottleneck according to that website.
Don't tell me you used a bottleneck calculator and your friends told you to.

If so don't listen to them and for sure not a bottleneck calculator.

@4K resolution you could get a 13600K and a 4090 video card and be just fine.

Reactions: artk2219

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Don't tell me you used a bottleneck calculator and your friends told you to.

If so don't listen to them and for sure not a bottleneck calculator.

@4K resolution you could get a 13600K and a 4090 video card and be just fine.

Interesting. So why are the bottleneck calculators so crappy? I did wonder how they would even calculate that kind of thing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Because they make broad assumptions and often do very crude calculations.

Almost any CPU will do at 4K, all comes down to GPU performance. CPU will put out a draw call and wait for the GPU to make it, since it can only make like 70 FPS, then the CPU has a lot of time to kill.

Conversely if you lower the resolution and settings the CPU gets taxed trying make as many draw calls as possible in the hundreds of FPS and the GPU ends up with idle time because the render jobs are easy to complete.

In an ideal system you balance it so your CPU and GPU are as close to 100% as possible for a maximum possible FPS performance at the highest possible graphics quality. When you don't do that on a per game basis you end up with some sort of bottleneck.

No CPU or GPU actually creates a bottleneck, only your application of that performance.

Sometimes the monitor is the bottleneck when the GPU is leaving performance on the table because the resolution is too east to run. Sometimes it is intentional. Someone may want the fastest possible, lowest latency possible system. In which case they go out and get a 480/560/600hz monitor, the fastest CPU and the biggest GPU trying to squeeze every last millisecond out of every frame.

On the very extreme side, what people call bottlenecks are not realistic scenarios. You don't go out and buy a $100 CPU to pair with your $2000 GPU, just doesn't make sense.

People often worry about how a GPU upgrade will bottleneck their system. This is false. A faster GPU increases performance possibilities, always. If the CPU is still a limit to maximum FPS, then the game settings or resolution can be increased with no performance loss. Or building a new system while keeping an older GPU. Maximum possible FPS goes up, but to see that you would have to drop graphical settings.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting. So why are the bottleneck calculators so crappy? I did wonder how they would even calculate that kind of thing.
Not crappy just complete garbage. Generic crap trying to predict things that is just not the way things work.

It's like buying a new M.2 gen 5 drive for your PC. If you just run benchmarks that's great but when you get to real world performance it's not much better than a old SATA SSD except some instances like it you did a ton of file transfers then it would help.

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Parts ordered, with a few minor changes after doing my own research. I went for a Strix OC 4090 for less fan noise (and because there seems to be literally no sign of a proper review for the Windforce V2), got some Silent Wings Pro 4 fans for the case. 6400 Mhz version of that ram rather than 6000 Mhz. I got some of that fancy phase change material for the CPU heatsink. And went for a Frost Spirit 140mm for the CPU cooler. Probably overboard but it's not all that expensive other than the Strix OC.

Also put a 4TB SSD in there rather than 2TB.

Hopefully all will be well.

I must admit I'm not sure how to tread the phase change stuff though. I know what to do with it but I'm not sure how much to put on the heatsink. I think you put on a much larger area compared to thermal paste...

Anyone have any experience with it?

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Well, for the record I've put the PC together. It took some doing. The 4000D case with a 4090 Strix OC in there is HEAVY. And the first motherboard turned up non-functional. After replacing it, going through the pain in the ass of attaching all my old drive, exporting files and then removing the older dodgier HDDs... it works!

I had a scare at first due to the 4090 not working in the BIOS without a firmware update.