[SOLVED] Ideas for an upgrade? MoBo and CPU

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Hi, as the title says I want to upgrade my cpu. Price isn't that much of an option, but probably not as much as an i9. I just wanted to know if anybody recommends something. I'm willing to upgrade my motherboard to if I need to for the new cpu. I'm open to switch to intel if someone recommends it.
Here is my build so far:
GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD RYZEN AM4 B350 RGB Fusion Smart Fan 5 HDMI1.4 M.2 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.1 Type-A ATX DDR4 Motherboard

two - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Single DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - BLS16G4D26BFSE (Red)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler (YD1600BBAEBOX)

EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W, Power Supply 100-B1-0600-KR

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8G (GV-N107TGAMING-8GD)

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid-Tower with 3 RGB Fans Tempered Glass Side Panel & External Cases (MCW-L5S3-KGNN-02)

Solution
Start with a nice fast 3200mhz or 3600mhz dual channel ram kit. That will help a lot with gaming. Jayztwocents recently did a video about single vs dual channel, and dual wins hands down in everything. Looking at about $70us for a 16gb(2×8) 3200 kit.

Update the bios and throw in a 3700x. Maybe get a nice cooler to go with it.

All in you should be under that $500 mark easy. Maybe grab an ssd for snappier response/loading times too. That is a great upgrade. And you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BQ3yJ8

woot

Distinguished
your mobo supports up to a Ryzen 9 3950X, so if you want to stay with amd, leave your mobo, also id recommend faster memory, ryzens like fast memory, and a m.2 ssd would go nice with your build.

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
your mobo supports up to a Ryzen 9 3950X, so if you want to stay with amd, leave your mobo, also id recommend faster memory, ryzens like fast memory, and a m.2 ssd would go nice with your build.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the recommendation but the price for Ryzen 9 3950X is like 700 dollars, which is a little too expensive for me. I'm kinda looking for something that's like under 500 if you know of anything let me know. Interesting though that my MoBo supports something that new I thought it was kinda poopy tbh. I know I can update the bios, but I didn't think it would be able to support anything higher than what I have currently as my cpu. Also what ram would you recommend I kinda want to stay around 16gb or more of memory if possible?

I appreciate the recommendation but the price for Ryzen 9 3950X is like 700 dollars, which is a little too expensive for me.
You definitely don't need a 16-core, 32-thread 3950X for gaming. : D Today's games won't come anywhere close to utilizing that many cores. I think they were just pointing out that the motherboard should work with any of the newer 3rd-gen Ryzen processors up to that model.

Something like an 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 3700X might be a decent option. The 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen 3600 might be as well, but that has the same core count as your existing processor, albeit with around 15-25% more performance per core, depending on whether your 1600 is overclocked or not.

And of course, you could always try just overclocking your 1600 to get a bit more performance out of it if it's not overclocked already, and using a dual-channel kit (2-sticks) of preferably faster RAM (like 3200), which should provide better performance on Ryzen. You could always try that first before deciding on whether to get a new processor.

Are you gaming at 1080p or some higher resolution, and do you know what refresh rate your monitor supports?

woot

Distinguished
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the recommendation but the price for Ryzen 9 3950X is like 700 dollars, which is a little too expensive for me. I'm kinda looking for something that's like under 500 if you know of anything let me know. Interesting though that my MoBo supports something that new I thought it was kinda poopy tbh. I know I can update the bios, but I didn't think it would be able to support anything higher than what I have currently as my cpu. Also what ram would you recommend I kinda want to stay around 16gb or more of memory if possible?

were i live, the 3950x cost 1050$, and a 3800x is around 500$.

16gb ram should be more than enough for gaming, also ryzen cpus really like fast ram

Start with a nice fast 3200mhz or 3600mhz dual channel ram kit. That will help a lot with gaming. Jayztwocents recently did a video about single vs dual channel, and dual wins hands down in everything. Looking at about $70us for a 16gb(2×8) 3200 kit.

Update the bios and throw in a 3700x. Maybe get a nice cooler to go with it.

All in you should be under that $500 mark easy. Maybe grab an ssd for snappier response/loading times too. That is a great upgrade. And you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BQ3yJ8

Reactions: themajorzeldagamer
Solution

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
You definitely don't need a 16-core, 32-thread 3950X for gaming. : D Today's games won't come anywhere close to utilizing that many cores. I think they were just pointing out that the motherboard should work with any of the newer 3rd-gen Ryzen processors up to that model.

Something like an 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 3700X might be a decent option. The 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen 3600 might be as well, but that has the same core count as your existing processor, albeit with around 15-25% more performance per core, depending on whether your 1600 is overclocked or not.

And of course, you could always try just overclocking your 1600 to get a bit more performance out of it if it's not overclocked already, and using a dual-channel kit (2-sticks) of preferably faster RAM (like 3200), which should provide better performance on Ryzen. You could always try that first before deciding on whether to get a new processor.

Are you gaming at 1080p or some higher resolution, and do you know what refresh rate your monitor supports?
my monitor is 144 hertz( some asus one) and I am gaming at 1080p.